U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:19 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,152,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
[mod cut - deleted]

geo-caching sounds interesting.....
Good grief! This is one of the most insulting and ignorant comments that I have ever come across at CD retirement forum! Some people actually consider metal detecting is one of the smarter hobbies

https://www.smarterhobby.com/metal-detecting/#tab-con-1

Quote:
The first thing to understand is that different people have different reasons to detect. Here are just a few more of the common reasons:

The love of history and thrill of being able to hold something in your hands that hasn't seen the light of day in hundreds of years.
The love of coin collecting. Whether that be older colonial silver coins or more modern coins like wheat pennies.
The love of being active and in the outdoors. Believe it or not, metal detecting can be a fantastic form of exercise.
And of course financial gain from either selling your finds (gold/silver jewelry) or even gold nuggets.
Personally, my interests lie in the first three categories - as do most metal detectorists I know.

In fact, very few people I know are in this hobby for financial gain. Their finds are often more meaningful to them than a few extra dollars in their pockets.

Contrary to what a lot of people may think, people who metal detect are often history buffs and collectors who don’t frequent the pawn shops.
One of my former colleague is a history buff. He loves to collect civil war relics with metal detectors. This young engineer (Ph. D. in EE) is one of the most intelligent and interesting person that I have ever known!

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-02-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 AM

13,312 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I missed what the humor was.

IMHO, religious jokes are unacceptable.
Ethnic stereotype, presumably okay because it's quoting a Jewish comedian. I see what the humor is supposed to be and it's unacceptable to me, too. These stereotypes have led to very pernicious results.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 AM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
I believe the guy I mentioned also metal detected while scuba diving.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-29-2019, 11:24 AM

3,398 posts, read 3,960,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
[mod cut - deleted]

geo-caching sounds interesting.....
Please. Not everyone shares your opinions or your many "lack of tact" comments. I am sure those who do partake in this activity would be highly offended, and rightfully so.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-02-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-29-2019, 11:25 AM

Fluffy have you guys considered taking classes during the summer? We are currently on a class binge (military), DH is making frames, matting, and shadow boxes and such, and I am taking a sewing class. Pottery wheel is next for the both of us.

Sounds like you DH is up for traveling now? Maybe his first reaction is always "no!", but then changes his mind?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM

3,934 posts, read 3,257,479 times
It may be that your husband didn't do hard work for most of his career, a lot of retirees have come down to their newly settled existence and find the boredom to be oppressive. Those who really worked hard in some physical capacity seem to do the best at retirement, they are tired, sore, often sick, and welcome the luxury of boredom.

The other confounding factor brought up in many retirement forums revolves around the fact that most of us put in way too much time and effort at our employment, leaving many to become lost when work stops. He should be looking into some educational opportunities not to mention the need for volunteers which provides an alternate focus on others, instead of himself..

Old 06-29-2019, 12:29 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
or he could just not retire. He seems to be one of those people that like to work - nothing wrong with that.

Just take extra vacations.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:31 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm making reservations to stay in Pinetop-Lakeside for a few days. DH is checking to make sure the roads are open. Looks like they are.

It's beautiful country up there in the White Mountains.

It really is beautiful country. I've spent weekends up there and didn't want to come home. I have to go to Globe tomorrow so I was checking road conditions down by Roosevelt myself. I guess they are all open now.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:34 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It may be that your husband didn't do hard work for most of his career, a lot of retirees have come down to their newly settled existence and find the boredom to be oppressive. Those who really worked hard in some physical capacity seem to do the best at retirement, they are tired, sore, often sick, and welcome the luxury of boredom.

Yes, that's us. Hard physical labor all our lives and now we can sit back and nurse our wounds, LOL. Luxury of boredom, indeed!

But hey, OP, why don't you just plan a trip regardless of his input, then present it to him as a done deal. Reservations made and all. (might wait on flights, if that's involved)
If he then doesn't want to participate, you just go ahead.

That's what I do. I don't solicit DH's input, I just plan it all. He doesn't like planning, and would prefer I do it all, so it works out. He doesn't know what we're doing, half the time, but that's OK.

Keeps me busy planning trips up to a year or more in advance. That's part of the fun...

Old 06-29-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

That's what I do. I don't solicit DH's input, I just plan it all. He doesn't like planning, and would prefer I do it all, so it works out. He doesn't know what we're doing, half the time, but that's OK.

That's our dynamic too. At first DH thought it extremely OCD, then he saw the benefits AND cost savings, and loves it.... as long as he doesn't have to do it.

To me it is almost as fun as the actual traveling. "Pre travel festivities", like shopping for travel size shampoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement