U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM

20,084 posts, read 11,147,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We had a couple of guys come by with a truck this morning to pick up a treadmill I'd ordered on Amazon but no local company would install for me. I hated to return it. It's a really nice treadmill.

https://www.taskrabbit.com

Next time, go to Task Rabbit for little jobs like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 PM

31,613 posts, read 19,947,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
https://www.taskrabbit.com

Next time, go to Task Rabbit for little jobs like that.

Cool! Thanks for that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Fluffy and hubby are currently on vacation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 AM

109 posts, read 42,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I lived in AZ during 2 summers. Hot as hell, wouldn't do it again. Best way to live in AZ (or FL for that matter) is to escape to cooler climates from April or May through September or October. I prefer dry heat to humidity, but when temps are >100+ it's like climbing into a kiln. The mountains offer a nice respite plus having access to a lot of cultural events and being able to enjoy hanging outside makes for a pleasant summer, IMO.
This is the answer. Summer cabins within a few hours of Phoenix make for a great lifestyle. Im currently sitting on my porch in 70 degree weather and loving every summer minute of it. The quality of life (in AZ) is way better than what N. Cal was for me. As for culture, there is plenty here if you look for it. If you want more, flights are cheap to other locales for quick trips.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:49 AM

6,228 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
This is the answer. Summer cabins within a few hours of Phoenix make for a great lifestyle. Im currently sitting on my porch in 70 degree weather and loving every summer minute of it. The quality of life (in AZ) is way better than what N. Cal was for me. As for culture, there is plenty here if you look for it. If you want more, flights are cheap to other locales for quick trips.
That is great if you can get a spot. When I lived in Phoenix well over 20 years ago there were huge traffic jams on Friday afternoon and returning on Sunday. Getting a place up towards Flag and cooler weather was all but impossible.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM

31,613 posts, read 19,947,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, this is hilarious.

That's our house. Standing in front of the fridge, arms straight at sides, asking where I "hid" the catsup... Also, I have a red container for the cut-up watermelon, and an orange one for canteloupe.

The silver lining is that I can buy myself one of Wegmans delicious treats, and I don't even have to hide it, as long as I don't put it in the front lol.
In my house this a is a plus. If I didn't want son or hubby to eat something, I would just put it in the produce bin or somewhere just a out of eye line. To make it funnier, they KNEW I did that, and it still worked.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 AM

109 posts, read 42,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is great if you can get a spot. When I lived in Phoenix well over 20 years ago there were huge traffic jams on Friday afternoon and returning on Sunday. Getting a place up towards Flag and cooler weather was all but impossible.
No doubt its easier for the retired set. No need to travel Friday-Sun. The drive is a breeze about any other time.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 AM

3,686 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
No doubt its easier for the retired set. No need to travel Friday-Sun. The drive is a breeze about any other time.
We try out best not to even leave our house Friday-Monday. Traffic in DFW is horrid, getting dangerous with all the wrong-way driver accidents.

Hopefully people here are a bit more sober Tues-Thursday.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,408,375 times
That's one of the benefits of having the kids grow up and move out. We can revert back to when we first got married, and take off on a moments notice for a day trip, weekend or long weekend. Both my wife and I would make the suggestion at times and we almost always agreed and took off. Now we are doing it again, but with the added advantage of a travel trailer, we can stay longer.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:55 PM

2,439 posts, read 1,060,930 times
Hi all - the topic is spontaneous trips and recalcitrant spouses. Not toilet cleaning, metal detecting, lobsters, or underwear. Sorry, but C-D does not like threads to go off track. Especially when posters start bickering. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:04 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Engineers, even retired ones, rarely do anything totally spontaneous.
This is very true for us, both retired engineers. We rarely do anything on the spur of the moment. I always have a check list (either mental or written) before leaving the house.

I am not at all surprise about Fluffy husband reply to her suggestion, and the fact that they are bored. It’s hard to be cooped up in a house (however well-appointed) because of the weather.

My impression is that her husband has relied on her to do all the planning even with a huge task like buying a retirement home. In addition, women tend to be more detailed oriented than men. I don't think that her husband had any ideas that they can get a pet and house sitter at a moment's notice.

Regarding the hot weather in Arizona, we have several new Idaho friends/acquaintances who are sun birders from Arizona. They live in Arizona from November to April and escape Arizona during the hot months from May to October. One of my sisters has followed similar sun/snow bird routine between her homes in Florida and Michigan.

It takes sometimes to adjust to a new living condition. I am certain that Fluffy and her husband will find ways to enjoy their new home.

Last edited by BellaDL; 07-02-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement