U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 05:43 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

Go back and use your masters degree in Psychology to help you with this situation. It is mind over matter generally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 05:44 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Is this person your child - son or daughter?

Maybe one you gave up for adoption and is now wanting back in your life?

Old 07-06-2019, 05:45 PM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OMG. You are so rude.

I will do it.

Naysayers be damned.

I don't know how you can live with yourself knowing you DISCOURAGE people.

Totally not cool.

I just booked a little vacation get-away for myself - and that is a major step.

Please put me on ignore - your comments are not helping.

Thank you.

I gave you all KINDS of ideas for you to accomplish the move, and you said all of them were too inconvenient.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 PM

4,809 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I gave you all KINDS of ideas for you to accomplish the move, and you said all of them were too inconvenient.
Totally untrue. Don't even know what you're referring to - the ONLY reason I cannot get a place for a few months now is because of my elderly dog who had a medical emergency and was in ICU and now can't fly.

Please put me on ignore.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Travel. Be less accessible. Block their calls.

If you move, you could always move to a gated community or building that controls access.
Learn to say, "that won't work for me".
Yes. Thank you for the advice - never even knew there were buildings that control access!

Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Restraining orders would apply right where you already live.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Restraining orders would apply right where you already live.
I've looked into that a bit (online) and there are requirements - you can't just get a random restraining order against someone - they have to have done something (forget what the parameters are).

Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 PM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Totally untrue. Don't even know what you're referring to - the ONLY reason I cannot get a place for a few months now is because of my elderly dog who had a medical emergency and was in ICU and now can't fly.

Please put me on ignore.

I advised just plain old driving, or Amtrak. You can go back and check if you forgot. I also advised lots of stops with both, and dog friendly hotels.

You didn't answer how many times this person stops by that it is such a problem. You mention in another thread that they don't live in the same town?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I advised just plain old driving, or Amtrak. You can go back and check if you forgot. I also advised lots of stops with both, and dog friendly hotels.

You didn't answer how many times this person stops by that it is such a problem. You mention in another thread that they don't live in the same town?
Driving takes a week, and Amtrak, a week-and-a-half, if I remember correctly. But in any case, it's all too long and was ruled out pages ago.

I can't answer your question, re: how many times - "many" times - enough times to have caused problems. I really don't want to focus on that. The thread was to ask if "escaping" might be a good remedy, and I believe that it could be.

I have heard of other people who have moved away to get away from people, and was curious if anyone else would share such a story.

I also got some other ideas from this thread on possible ways to react in emergencies. It often happens at night when I am taken aback and not feeling prepared or strong - caught off-guard every time.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

3,169 posts, read 1,664,054 times
Hmmm it's hard to say whether escaping would be a good remedy. Based on your posts it seems that perhaps this "distressed" person's neediness gives you a sense of purpose that you don't get from your other family. That's something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or