U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM

4,820 posts, read 1,835,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Given your extended-stay plan, I definitely suggest talking to the realtor and asking about a "sub-let" (a/k/a "sub-lease") of an apartment or condo. They may have clients who spend part of the year abroad, for example (maybe they go to Paris in the springtime, LOL.) Anyway it is something to ask about. Some buildings do not allow subletting, though, which will limit the available choices (as well as budgetary limits.)

The ironic part is that summer and winter are probably the times of year when most sub-lets are available, either from the tenant spending the summer in the Hamptons, the Cape, or wherever, and/or their winters in Florida!

But it's something to ask about.
"Paris in the springtime . . . " ha ha

Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Well said. If you are at all afraid, possibly because the person is "out of control", be sure to request police and an ambulance when you call 911. In my current city, police automatically respond to all ambulance calls (I believe because they are patrolling and can arrive faster) but I don't think that is typical.
Thank you. Never would have thought of doing this.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM

56,035 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Getting back to the original premise of this thread, I vote YES.

You keep describing yourself as "old". You're thinking old. Think adventure instead. Take the leap. Make the move. Let old age be an adventure.

I took my own leap a couple of years ago, though not the same as yours, and I'm glad I did. You sound as if you really fell in love with the city. I spent 40 years working there, and yes, once you've got it in you, it's there forever.

I vote that you just list and then calmly face and make a plan to every obstacle you see that's keeping you from realizing this dream you found when you became "old". Figure out how to transport your dog safely. Figure out how to walk away from a codependent situation, and do it for YOURSELF.

Live old the best way you can.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

never even knew there were buildings that control access!
The fact that you never knew there are apartment buildings which control access and that you didn't know they even exist or have never even encountered them or known whatsoever of the existence of apartment buildings which control access shows an enormous degree of naivety and lack of knowledge.

For a person thinking they want to move to New York City at age 65 or 70 or whatever age you are, it is inconceivable that you did not know this. It's bizarre and the level of naivety is inconceivable and extreme.

Ever hear of a key or a key card or punching in a code to enter an apartment building or needing to be buzzed in or not being able to enter an apartment building lobby without a key or key card or punching in a code......?

(and if you were referring not to apartment buildings but to gated communities, it is equally bizarre)

Last edited by matisse12; 07-08-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 11:53 AM

5,439 posts, read 2,760,875 times
Quote:
Sounds like it worked really well for you!
Yes, and I'll tell you something. Once I reconnected to my parents, I looked back and wondered what in the world I had been so afraid of that I couldn't tell them to buzz off. I'd been on my own for 15 years at the time and was financially independent. I still wonder why I just couldn't tell them to step back and have some respect for me or why I couldn't speak up and tell my dad he was acting like a dick.

I think a lot of it was I didn't have respect for myself, so expecting other people to respect me seemed out of the question. You have to respect yourself before you can demand others do the same.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The fact that you never knew there are apartment buildings which control access and that you didn't know they even exist or have never even encountered them or known whatsoever of the existence of apartment buildings which control access shows an enormous degree of naivety and lack of knowledge.

For a person thinking they want to move to New York City at age 65 or 70 or whatever age you are, it is inconceivable that you did not know this. It's bizarre and the level of naivety is inconceivable and extreme.

Ever hear of a key or a key card or punching in a code to enter an apartment building or needing to be buzzed in or not being able to enter an apartment building lobby without a key or key card or punching in a code......?

(and if you were referring not to apartment buildings but to gated communities, it is equally bizarre)
No need to be hostile.

I live in California and have never encountered a building with control to access.

When I think of TV shows in NY, I recognize that people buzzed others in to some buildings, but I never thought about this for me (because of where I live), and don't know how common such controlled access is in NY.

I love to learn, so am excited to find out.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yes, and I'll tell you something. Once I reconnected to my parents, I looked back and wondered what in the world I had been so afraid of that I couldn't tell them to buzz off. I'd been on my own for 15 years at the time and was financially independent. I still wonder why I just couldn't tell them to step back and have some respect for me or why I couldn't speak up and tell my dad he was acting like a dick.

I think a lot of it was I didn't have respect for myself, so expecting other people to respect me seemed out of the question. You have to respect yourself before you can demand others do the same.
Well, you had enough respect for yourself to instinctively do something that might have been difficult at the time!

Old 07-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Getting back to the original premise of this thread, I vote YES.

You keep describing yourself as "old". You're thinking old. Think adventure instead. Take the leap. Make the move. Let old age be an adventure.

I took my own leap a couple of years ago, though not the same as yours, and I'm glad I did. You sound as if you really fell in love with the city. I spent 40 years working there, and yes, once you've got it in you, it's there forever.

I vote that you just list and then calmly face and make a plan to every obstacle you see that's keeping you from realizing this dream you found when you became "old". Figure out how to transport your dog safely. Figure out how to walk away from a codependent situation, and do it for YOURSELF.

Live old the best way you can.
I like to use the word "old" to normalize it - I say it for both factual info reasons and with a bit of whimsy and humor. I think of myself as a "young old."

I am totally excited about having new adventures!

I was chatting with someone this morning who is blogging here in town and told her I had the grandiose idea to blog about NYC neighborhoods . . . I already have a blog in my mind about what I learned about Washington Square Park! I am very interested in local history, culture, architecture, vintage stuff, books, cafes, dining.

I am thinking that my dog obstacle came up "for a reason." Time will tell. In 12 Step programs they say "more will be revealed."

I am going to NYC again in a couple of months - super excited!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Fixed my own typo

Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM

56,035 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
I like to use the word "old" to normalize it - I say it for both factual info reasons and with a bit of whimsy and humor. I think of myself as a "young old."

I am totally excited about having new adventures!

I was chatting with someone this morning who is blogging here in town and told her I had the grandiose idea to blog about NYC neighborhoods . . . I already have a blog in my mind about what I learned about Washington Square Park! I am very interested in local history, culture, architecture, vintage stuff, books, cafes, dining.

I am thinking that my dog obstacle came up "for a reason." Time will tell. In 12 Step programs they say "more will be revealed."

I am going to NYC again in a couple of months - super excited!

Thanks for the encouragement.
Did you know that there are about 20,000 bodies buried under Washington Square Park? It was once a potter's field for the city's poor. It was also the site of the hanging of Rose Butler. She was a slave who tried to burn down the house of the family she worked for with them inside. Nobody died, but she was sentenced to death for arson.

NYC has enough history to keep you occupied for the rest of your life.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:37 PM

1,641 posts, read 563,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NYC has enough history to keep you occupied for the rest of your life.
NB, when you are next visiting NYC look for a tv channel called "NY Life". Tons of shows about the historical and other aspects of the city and also free events current and upcoming. Here's the web site:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/media/index.page

A list of all the regular programs on the channel; you can watch some of the episodes on the web page(s). Just click on the program within the list.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/media/shows/shows.page

Here are the program carriers (cable/dish/over the air):

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/media/carriers/carriers.page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or