U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:16 PM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Wow. That's crazy! How could a train be that much slower, I wonder.

Anyway . . . yes . . . unfortunately I am not a person who likes to be uncomfortable!

I was surprised too. Apparently it is not a straight shot, there are transfers and layovers.

I've taken Amtrak once in my life, so my knowledge is limited to what I google.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Recently, my seat partner had a lap dog for my 17 hr flight to Singapore (free as ESA), tho 280 passengers and crew were uncomfortable and put at safety and health risk.

So certainly possible to take a simple cross USA flight with your pet.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:56 PM

887 posts, read 325,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Recently, my seat partner had a lap dog for my 17 hr flight to Singapore (free as ESA), tho 280 passengers and crew were uncomfortable and put at safety and health risk.

So certainly possible to take a simple cross USA flight with your pet.
Good grief, what airline?

Old 06-30-2019, 01:25 AM

31,598 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Wait... if you can't move, what is the point to this thread?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-30-2019, 06:13 AM

294 posts, read 148,682 times
Default ...amorphous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I was beginning to wonder myself.
Done.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 AM

13,189 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
I was considering putting barbed wire up on my fence, but my neighbor thought it would make my house look like a prison.

I would like to hire a security guard!
I would alert the police on this. But what’s wrong with hop on a car and just drive.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 AM

4,805 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So, as I think I explained upthread, I had had an idea to rent an apartment for a few months. I was going to take my dog on the plane with me - but then he had a medical emergency and was in ICU - and is now not fit to go on a plane (lest he have another incident, and other reasons).

So, as a modification to my plans, I am going to be coming out for just a week (boarding him in a cage free environment - basically taking a chance with his health holding out for that week).

Old 06-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I would alert the police on this. But what’s wrong with hop on a car and just drive.
Too far/too long - I am chicken to drive that far.

If I could make it pleasant, that could be a good idea - but it would take a week or two.

Plus: I hate driving and traffic and just being alone for such a long trip (or just with my dog).

Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
I hate driving and traffic and just being alone for such a long trip (or just with my dog).
One of the other posters mentioned that your possible escape destination is NYC ... don't know if that is accurate but if it is, and you hate driving and/or traffic, IMHO you should seriously reconsider. Have you ever spent any time in the NYC area?

If you are considering moving into the city (meaning Manhattan), be aware that although you would not need a car for everyday errands and so forth because you would use the subway, taxi, etc.,... if you want to venture "off the island" you will be more limited transportationwise without a car. NYC and its surrounding commuter-distance areas are legendary for the hellishness of our traffic (as West Coast hubs like LA are as well.)

Old 06-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
One of the other posters mentioned that your possible escape destination is NYC ... don't know if that is accurate but if it is, and you hate driving and/or traffic, IMHO you should seriously reconsider. Have you ever spent any time in the NYC area?

If you are considering moving into the city (meaning Manhattan), be aware that although you would not need a car for everyday errands and so forth because you would use the subway, taxi, etc.,... if you want to venture "off the island" you will be more limited transportationwise without a car. NYC and its surrounding commuter-distance areas are legendary for the hellishness of our traffic (as West Coast hubs like LA are as well.)
What I love about NYC are the transportation options. I would learn the subway, buses, and use Uber when necessary (for big grocery trips, etc.). If I need to go off the island, I could rent a car.

I don't mind traffic when other people are dealing with it - I don't like driving long distances by myself or in bumper-to-bumper traffic around town that I am trying to navigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or