Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:46 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

I would say I swear more because when I was at work for 8 hours a day, dealing with customers and people of varying backgrounds, I really didn't swear at all during that 8 hours, and so I had to sort of censor myself at home enough that my off-duty swearing didn't accidentally slip out at work. I still have times now that I have to censor myself, but that's really only occasionally when I'm around folks that are more religious or more prim. Usually I swear when it's some kind of OOPS situation, something that really aggravates me, or for emphasis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 AM

65 posts, read 50,083 times
As a retiree, I drive less, so I swear less.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:19 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
No change for me.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:04 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My Dad was a swear-aholic, and a loud one at that, and the neighbors just got used to it over the years, and he could swear over the littlest things. When my Dad would go on one of his swearing streaks, my mother would take me aside and say: Just listen to him carrying on in the garage! You ever use that kind of vocabulary, you'll be joining your Father in hell some day!

Big choice: Forsake that kind of vocabulary and join my Mother in Heaven or join my Dad one day!
In that case, I'm doomed. Thought that being nice to everyone made up for it.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:08 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,414,705 times
I swear less now I'm retired. The stuff I use to swear about, now just doesnt matter. The birds even sound better.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:18 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I was raised in a home where swearing wasn't used. Of course when I left I built up my vocabulary. There's a lot of power in them there words.

Then I worked government jobs most of my working life and raised kids so the swearing was kept to exclusive situations. I guess that pretty much proves I knew they weren't such healthy things to fling out into the atmosphere.

My anecdote about cursing/street language and a silly solution:

In my thirties I switched jobs and began working with a chemically dependent, mentally ill and often criminal population. It was not unusual for them to use obscenities and curses to try to intimidate and I started to think about how we use these words and the effects they have on others.

Humorously, like others who worked in a medical setting and had to watch their vocabulary, I discovered that I could maintain by using the actual clinical terms instead of street language and reverse the power differential like a snap of the fingers.

Want to intimidate? Check out the medical terms for body parts. Tough men break down. LOL You can have a whole group of potty-mouths looking at the floor right quick, embarrassed as heck.

At any rate I've decided that words make a difference and I'm always trying to make my life as comfortable as possible. Why? Not because I'm Puritanical but because to me cursing is a negative thing to send out to the world of listeners and doesn't make my space or my mindset a positive place to be. And I sure want to create that relaxed space for myself to live in especially in retirement.

And as others have said there's not much left in my life worth getting upset about anymore. Been there; done that. Didn't help much.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:25 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
I find that the amount of swearing required to accomplish anything has been increasing with age.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:36 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
I never had the need or desire to swear. Having my mouth washed out, make that having to bite down hard, with soap cured me of it at age 7!

I can still remember the taste even today.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
With retirement, there is less frustration, so less swearing. I did a lot of mental swearing at work, but never out loud.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:05 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I say crap-and other words that basically mean the same thing-both in English and in French frequently. As for the "F" word, I do say it occasionally-but not too often. I can't say if I use these "colorful metaphors" (as Spock called them) more or less now. I would say it is about the same.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement