U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 1,110,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Same here (medical). Had to be cognizant of everything you said/say.

Now retired, I find I'm making up for lost time - but only when I'm alone. Mostly when I'm watching the idiot in the WH.I throw in a hand gesture occasionally.

Still keep the language on the high end when with others.

I find I do the same thing quite often, the middle finger pops up like it has a mind of it's own.
I only drop F-bombs occasionally. Often for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM

3,966 posts, read 1,110,578 times
My former boss hated weak coffee. he had a cute way of phrasing it, "Romance by the sea".

Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
No one swore at home.

Well - swearing in Spanish does not count!

I still do not swear. It just was not part of my vocabulary even after a career in the military. Well, it was the Air Force - lol

The first swear words I ever learned were in Spanish. My dad. I guess he thought that was more polite than English. lol Also I lived in Spanish neighborhoods a lot so I heard those words fairly regularly.

Reading through this I realized that none of my kids swear either. Not in front of me anyway. Never have. They rarely heard it at home growing up.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:31 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,460,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How about you? And what gets you to swearing today, loudly or more silently?
Never felt the need for foul language and now that I'm modding, I find that I have much less tolerance for it from others. It's vulgar and just not needed. Everybody here smart enough to use a computer has a brain and vocabulary large enough that they surely can come up with other, more socially-acceptable words.

I also seem to be embracing the classical stoicism tendencies within me, and I strongly suspect that profanity is rarely, if ever used by people who tend toward classical stoic ideals.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 06-30-2019 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 11:48 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
When my Dad went on swearing streaks in the garage, after awhile, the neighbors would joke about it.
Now what could have caused this latest tirade?

1. He dropped a screwdriver on the floor?
2. He ran out of cigarettes?
3. He was in the middle of a project and he had to run into the house to go to the bathroom?
4. While doing some nailing, the hammer struck his thumb?

Swear words can be picked up, even by small children today, with these idiots driving around with their loud stereo's, with their windows rolled down, playing Rap music filled with swear words, for all to hear. A child comes home and asks his mother: I heard some words today coming from a passing car, what do they mean?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:02 AM

213 posts, read 73,470 times
Growing up, my parents never swore, or at least us kids never heard them if they did. When I started my LE career, I had to learn to use "street language", which was at times, 80% swear words in some areas. Some time later, I found myself swearing more at home, and when the kids came along, I made sure I did not swear at home.

To this day, I rarely use a cuss word. Tried to use them more, but nope, goes against the grain. I am not in favor of all the rap songs that have a bunch of swear words.

Had someone tell me once, if you are having an argument with someone, and they really start cussing, it is an indication that you have won.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 AM

13,650 posts, read 8,565,244 times
Quote:
You Swear More Or Less When Retired?
Less.
I have become fond of fine novels - A Gentleman in Moscow, is my latest. I am learning that there is simply a better way of expressing yourself and making your point.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 AM
EA

6,181 posts, read 5,205,096 times
If you swear more when you retire then my entire vocabulary will be nothing but swear words.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 AM

1,631 posts, read 561,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am learning that there is simply a better way of expressing yourself and making your point.
In general conversation, yes. But sometimes when one is, shall we say, momentarily overcome by a negative emotion there is nothing quite like the catharsis provided by the forceful enunciation of certain four-letter words, LOL

It's also much less expensive than hurling crockery at the nearest wall, a la Scarlett O'Hara. (I tried that once, and ended up swearing at myself whilst cleaning up the debris!)

Old 06-30-2019, 11:16 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,716,176 times
More. MUCH more. Only with those I know well. And when I'm trying to make a point. And when I'm angry. And when I go out. And when I wake up. F, F, F, F, F! LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I have a bad mouth. I really have to watch it. (Not proud of it either.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or