U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:52 PM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times

Advertisements

I only swear if something catastrophic occurs, like when I take 2 eggs from the refrigerator, set them on the counter, and one rolls off onto my carpeted kitchen floor. For that, I'll swear loud enough for my immediate neighbors to hear, hoping they'll come over, give me a hug, and say: It's gonna be OK! You'll recover from this eventually! And, prayerfully, they may even clean up the egg off the carpet, so I don't have to bend down, or get on my hands and knees to clean it up!

I stopped watching television and televised news years ago, so that cuts it down immeasurably. Imagine if I was still watching televised news and some older man with orange/blond hair appeared on the news!!!! With a steady stream of swear words, my roommate would have to put earplugs into his ears!

How about you? And what gets you to swearing today, loudly or more silently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 AM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
....How about you? And what gets you to swearing today, loudly or more silently?
I lived in a rough neighborhood for years, and I still have the mouth I acquired there. Some of the curses I heard on a daily basis were true art. For example, injunctions hurled at a person to go have unnatural sex with their grandmother's corpse. You really would have to work to beat that one. The F-word was simply a punctuation mark in your sentences.

When I am alone at home I often deliver arias of foul fury at some piece of stupidity I have managed to accomplish. But I do not use this language outside of home, except with my best friend who was raised in East London and has heard the English version of this language.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:37 AM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times
35+ years in the medical profession broke me of my swearing habit. About the worst thing I say to someone is 'go suck an egg'.

and, yes, I mean suck.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:15 AM

858 posts, read 197,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
35+ years in the medical profession broke me of my swearing habit. About the worst thing I say to someone is 'go suck an egg'.

and, yes, I mean suck.

Same here (medical). Had to be cognizant of everything you said/say.

Now retired, I find I'm making up for lost time - but only when I'm alone. Mostly when I'm watching the idiot in the WH.I throw in a hand gesture occasionally.

Still keep the language on the high end when with others.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:49 AM

3,955 posts, read 2,026,498 times
Over two decades working for the Navy left me with a spectacular vocabulary for swearing. My 2nd in command boss's nickname for me was **** (word for poop). Every time I showed up at his office door he would say "****, now, what?" so it became a standing joke between us. And no, I wasn't offended; he was a grizzled old Marine Col who flew experimental helicopters and kept a spit cup on his desk. I loved the guy. Anyway, as a legacy of my Navy career, I have to be really careful now at garden club meetings and similar ladylike events not to blurt out something scatological when someone makes a really dumb suggestion.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:04 AM

1,319 posts, read 642,453 times
I swear about the same, as I did when I was a teen.....not very much. It was frowned upon, when I was growing up. Mom would give Dad the look.....whenever he said sh$t. He never said the F word.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:16 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,264,175 times
Less, since I am around DW more. I worked with a LOT of, err, rougher craft types. If you couldn’t handle the language, the job didn’t get done. You had to be seen as “one of them” not a corporate stooge.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:22 AM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
My Dad was a swear-aholic, and a loud one at that, and the neighbors just got used to it over the years, and he could swear over the littlest things. When my Dad would go on one of his swearing streaks, my mother would take me aside and say: Just listen to him carrying on in the garage! You ever use that kind of vocabulary, you'll be joining your Father in hell some day!

Big choice: Forsake that kind of vocabulary and join my Mother in Heaven or join my Dad one day!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:37 AM

199 posts, read 73,587 times
I worked in a profession where everybody swore all the time. When I left that line of work, my swearing went down. Where I am employed now hardly anybody swears, and I am grateful. It has broken me of the swearing habit.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:45 AM

8,179 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How about you? And what gets you to swearing today, loudly or more silently?
Usually only when I open another idiotic thread in the Retirement Forum. In other words, I've been swearing more and more lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or