Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 12:13 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
The OP is over on the Sacramento forum (California) asking about Mendocino as a retirement destination. I answered as best I could . . . I don't live there but visit as much as possible. If anyone here can help her out, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.
Mendocino is certainly an odd choice when one has a budget, not to mention odd choice of state when it comes to income tax.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:30 PM

35 posts, read 36,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. I'm 61. I'm an architect-level software engineer. I could apply for 1000 jobs and wouldn't get an interview from any of them. Unless it's an exact match for my subject matter expertise and there is nobody else younger available, I'm not going to make it past the HR screening. You Google my name and address, my age pops up. It doesn't matter how I try to disguise my age on my resume or how low I drop my salary expectations, it's a screening item. Could I get a job as a Walmart greeter at $15/hour? Sure. A mid-level engineering slot a 30 year old Indian kid can do? It simply won't happen.
I can vouch for this. My dh is a DBA and is in the same position. And in Boston, well, can you imagine the talent pool?

Old 07-01-2019, 12:32 PM

8,329 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mendocino is certainly an odd choice when one has a budget, not to mention odd choice of state when it comes to income tax.

Actually, in CA you are hit with horrible state tax rates only if you make enough money. California taxes the first $42,711 of income for singles (and a higher limit for married) at lower rates than Mississippi. But if you make $42,712 in CA, that last dollar is taxed at 8%, and from there the tax rate progressively climbs to 13.3% if you make over $1M (again, these are singles rates). People who earn below $42k actually tend to pay lower taxes in CA than in any other state (except of course in the states that do not have a state income tax). Also, there is a very wide coverage by various social services in CA. I don't know anything about Mendocino, though, except that it supposedly resembles coastal New England, which is maybe why the OP is considering it.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:38 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Actually, in CA you are hit with horrible state tax rates only if you make enough money. California taxes the first $42,711 of income for singles (and a higher limit for married) at lower rates than Mississippi. But if you make $42,712 in CA, that last dollar is taxed at 8%, and from there the tax rate progressively climbs to 13.3% if you make over $1M (again, these are singles rates). People who earn below $42k actually tend to pay lower taxes in CA than in any other state (except of course in the states that do not have a state income tax). Also, there is a very wide coverage by various social services in CA. I don't know anything about Mendocino, though, except that it supposedly resembles coastal New England, which is maybe why the OP is considering it.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I looked up Mendocino quickly, media price homes are around 740K.

For retirement, we choose a state with no income tax (NV).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-01-2019, 12:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I looked up Mendocino quickly, media price homes are around 740K.

For retirement, we choose a state with no income tax (NV).
Mendocino is a big county with some pricey areas. My brother lives in Willits (Mendocino county) where the median home price is less than half that. Nice little town, too.

California does not tax Social Security benefits.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:02 PM

746 posts, read 837,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My two weeks here in Maine is food is a lot cheaper than California. Housing is also a lot cheaper too. Not sure about other stuff.
I grew up in Maine but have spent over a 100 nights in various parts of California. I'll agree on the housing, but food is dirt cheap in California.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In retirement, you think living on $5000 per month which is $60,000 per year is POOR??

Or, in retirement, even much less is poor?
Really depends where you live I would think. Many parts of the nations to be in the middle class means having an income of $200,000 a year.

Of course many parts of the nation are much less costly. For me I would say having an income of $60,000 a year is poor. In retirement I would want to maintain the same kind of lifestyle that we now enjoy.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I grew up in Maine but have spent over a 100 nights in various parts of California. I'll agree on the housing, but food is dirt cheap in California.
And a wide selection of wonderful, fresh produce available too.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Not really. I'm 61. I'm an architect-level software engineer. I could apply for 1000 jobs and wouldn't get an interview from any of them. Unless it's an exact match for my subject matter expertise and there is nobody else younger available, I'm not going to make it past the HR screening. You Google my name and address, my age pops up. It doesn't matter how I try to disguise my age on my resume or how low I drop my salary expectations, it's a screening item. Could I get a job as a Walmart greeter at $15/hour? Sure. A mid-level engineering slot a 30 year old Indian kid can do? It simply won't happen.
Maybe it’s not good where you are despite its being a liberal state. My sister dropped her salary from her peak from $110k to $85k with health care.
She went from director level to just plain senior accountant.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 PM

8,329 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
That's not how the rest of Massachusetts works.

Edited:
The exemption towns are Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville, Watertown, Waltham. It's a $2,000 to $3,000 property tax break for owner occupied properties. The rest of the state doesn't work that way. It's a local reaction to market prices doubling in the last half-dozen years and people getting taxed out of their homes.

Market prices in Boston have not doubled in the past 6 years, and the large property tax reduction for primary homes has been in place for much longer than 6 years (ie, it is not a local reaction to recent market prices, or possibly not to any market prices). When I bought my Boston condo 19 years ago, in 2000 (for a fairly low market price of $147k), the large property tax reduction for owner-occupied property was already in effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement