U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM

1,003 posts, read 392,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I hear a lot of truck drivers have major back problems - there are many ways a job can be "physical".
Many trucks are completely different than Lyft/Uber. A truck, at least the one I drove during the Christmas holidays 1982, when I can home from college with one C, two Ds and an F, made a can of soda go flat in way under an hour. They'll beat you to death.

FWIW, that experience taught me that I needed to stay in school and graduate, which I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:44 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,079,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Many trucks are completely different than Lyft/Uber. A truck, at least the one I drove during the Christmas holidays 1982, when I can home from college with one C, two Ds and an F, made a can of soda go flat in way under an hour. They'll beat you to death.

FWIW, that experience taught me that I needed to stay in school and graduate, which I did.
We are glad you did graduate, it was weighing on our minds.

Personally, I admire anyone that does what they have to do to make a living. Sure beats the deadbeats that never work and live off the taxpayers.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:31 PM

1,003 posts, read 392,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post

Personally, I admire anyone that does what they have to do to make a living. Sure beats the deadbeats that never work and live off the taxpayers.
Truth! It was my sister and her husbandís truck. I hit the road with him so she could stay home & prepare Christmas. Theyíre both (somewhat) retired although they do some specialized hauling now ie wide loads, overloads and long loads. It pays better than OTR loads.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 2 days ago)

1,220 posts, read 397,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
I'm brand new here and trying to come to terms with what it's going to be like to be poor in retirement, especially since we are accustomed to a 6-figure income now. I'm 62 and dh is 63. We are among the millions who, with the exception of a couple of houses we bought and sold a long time ago, did not save or invest for retirement. I need to say that I'm very aware of the mistakes we made, our irresponsibility, as well as extenuating circumstances that made saving difficult (special needs child). No scolding necessary. We've been through the miserable beating ourselves up stage. I'm trying to problem-solve.

We rent in a very affluent New England town. By our SS calculations, allowing for me taking retirement now (500.) and dh taking his at 70 ($4000.), we will be receiving between 4500 - 5000/month. (That upper number assuming that my amount will go up to a percentage of his benefit.)

It will be possible to move further into the country, say, Vermont, and rent a cottage for about $1200. That would also be about the cost to stay here and live in elderly, public housing. A thought which (unnecessarily) shames me. It also kind of intrigues me: such a wealthy town doesn't really have a public housing waiting list.

We will have 1 car, no debts, and very simple needs. Moving isn't an option, we're in metro-Boston, have no funds for a downpayment and cannot find a rental for less than what we are paying now.

Could you do live on about $3300/month, after housing costs? What would you do to get ready?
Mine and dear wife’s Pension, SS, 401k, sold house #1, built house #2 free and clear, supplemental medical. Don’t plan on cruises anymore or travel overseas. Plenty to do in state, folks can visit us.

You may want to consider leaving the NE for better climate, lower taxes.

Good luck

Old 07-04-2019, 12:56 AM

5,621 posts, read 8,564,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post

Could you do live on about $3300/month, after housing costs? What would you do to get ready?
I live (very well) on less including housing NOW.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 AM

13,993 posts, read 7,458,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
We are glad you did graduate, it was weighing on our minds.

So what deadbeats are these who never work and live off the taxpayers? TANF cash welfare has a 5 year lifetime cap. ďAble bodiedĒ single people generally canít get it. Your rhetoric doesnít align with reality.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Mine and dear wifeís Pension, SS, 401k, sold house #1, built house #2 free and clear, supplemental medical. Donít plan on cruises anymore or travel overseas. Plenty to do in state, folks can visit us.

You may want to consider leaving the NE for better climate, lower taxes.

Good luck
If Social Security is your main source of income, Massachusetts is a low tax state. You just canít live commutable to the Boston job market or housing is expensive.

Iím in coastal Massachusetts. Growing zone 7a. My roses are usually doing fine at Thanksgiving. Itís not much of a winter with the Gulf Stream and warm ocean temperatures. I ski. I welcome the winter.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 AM

22,908 posts, read 19,340,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Iím in coastal Massachusetts. Growing zone 7a. My roses are usually doing fine at Thanksgiving. Itís not much of a winter with the Gulf Stream and warm ocean temperatures. I ski. I welcome the winter.
Warm ocean temperatures? You have got to be kidding. There are only TWO spots on the coastline of Massachusetts that are warm. Grey's Beach in Kingston and one in Duxbury. Massachusetts has some of the COLDEST waters! Gulf stream? How about 115" in 2013 and a little more in 2015?

Old 07-04-2019, 12:05 PM

37,169 posts, read 45,724,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This is happening with my in-laws right now. Married couple was getting by with two SS incomes. He recently died. She cannot continue living (home with a mortgage) where she is. She will be moving with her daughter (where to be determined).With her daughter just having had a baby, she will become daycare for her grandson when her daughter returns to work so that works out.

Why I say to be determined, there are two houses and they have to decide which one to live in and what to do with the other house as in sell or rent it.

None of this was unexpected. The numbers were there all along.
That will happen to us too. Thereís a nest egg to draw on, but I wonít be able to justify the expense of keeping a house, so Iíll move near one of the kids, but hopefully not in the same house. It just depends upon the circumstances at the time.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Warm ocean temperatures? You have got to be kidding. There are only TWO spots on the coastline of Massachusetts that are warm. Grey's Beach in Kingston and one in Duxbury. Massachusetts has some of the COLDEST waters! Gulf stream? How about 115" in 2013 and a little more in 2015?
Those are Massachusetts Bay towns. The water is freakiní freezing there. The southern shore of Cape Cod, Buzzards Bay, and the islands are much warmer. Duxbury reports 63F today. Itís 75F at my beach.

You clearly have no clue about the microclimate in that part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement