Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 02:17 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Without politics who can you blame lack of financial success on ... you know the deal ,it is always someone else’s fault
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 02:21 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
can we skip the politics please, and get back to the topic.
+ 1!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:26 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

What about those who "plan well" and, along the way, a sudden, very serious illness empties out their savings?
Yeah, that's called "life". Sometimes it isn't fair. If your mama told you everybody lives happily ever after, she may have been mistaken.

All you can do is stack the odds in your favor.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking12 View Post
Could you do live on about $3300/month, after housing costs? What would you do to get ready?
Yes, we could do that pretty easily.

To get ready for that, you would pay off your mortgage, have no bills, have cars that are in excellent condition, and teeth that are in good repair . You would also need savings for emergency repairs and such.

You can always work part-time here and there if needed.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:32 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
We rent in a very affluent New England town. By our SS calculations, allowing for me taking retirement now (500.) and dh taking his at 70 ($4000.), we will be receiving between 4500 - 5000/month. (That upper number assuming that my amount will go up to a percentage of his benefit.)
You need to have a sit-down with Social Security. That means, go to the office and sit down.

There's been a change in the Social Security law that affects you.

You are no longer allowed to choose your benefits.

You are not allowed to apply for only spousal benefits, just as you're not allowed to apply for your own benefits.

When you apply, you are applying for both spousal and your own benefit, whether you want to or not, whether you like it or not and whatever else.

Social Security will always pay you the greater of your spousal benefit and your own benefit, and that's what you'll get for the rest of your life, notwithstanding Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLA).

However, you are not eligible for spousal benefits, because you spouse isn't receiving benefits and won't be for another 7 years.

At present, the only benefit you're eligible to receive is your own.

A plain language reading of the law says that when your spouse does apply, you are then eligible for spousal benefits, and you may apply for spousal benefits, and Social Security will then pay you the greater of the spousal benefit or your current benefit.

Some people disagree with that assessment. They say once you get your own, you're locked in forever.

So, you need to go in-person to Social Security and sit-down in-person with a representative and have them explain to you in-person exactly what will happen.

When you go in-person and apply, they're going to tell you aren't eligible for spousal benefits, at which time you need to jump up on the desk and ask, "Am I going to be able to apply for spousal benefits when he turns 70?"

Because, if the answer is "No" then you might want to rethink this. You might want to delay a few more years at least until you have 65 years and can get an higher benefit amount.

Quote:
It will be possible to move further into the country, say, Vermont, and rent a cottage for about $1200. That would also be about the cost to stay here and live in elderly, public housing.
I think you're wrong about that. Even with the utility allowance and two personal exemptions, I think it's going to run you about $1,350 or so a month.

The personal exemptions aren't the same as the IRS tax exemptions. These exemptions vary by State, and I'm guessing for Vermont they'd be about $85 to $95 per person per month, so for the two of you it'd be $170/month to $190/month.

You can always call a public housing operator and calculate it for you.

Quote:
Could you do live on about $3300/month, after housing costs? What would you do to get ready?
The question is silly. The Cost-of-Living in the US is so disparate there are people making $1,800/month who actually make twice what you make.

That means they live exactly like you do, and they still have a helluva lot more money to spend than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Would you qualify for disability? You might look into that.
That's not always a good strategy.

A guy with one leg amputated below the knee and his foot amputated for diabetes was denied.

Yeah. His social worker drove him to his appointment with Social Security and the hearing officer is staring at him in a wheel-chair with one leg and that leg doesn't even have a foot on it, and he was denied.

Got approved on appeal, but a claim can wend its way through the system for years and she might not even win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Other than that, I don't think it should be too hard to live on $3300 a month.
All depends on where you live. Here, I can live like a king on $3,300. In Romania I could live like an emperor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm just wondering what kind of subsidies a couple with a monthly income between $ 4500 and $5000/monthly would qualify for.
HUD Section 8.

A retiree receiving a Social Security benefit of $2,788/month, plus a pension of $1,878/month, for a total of $4,666/month qualifies for HUD Section 8 housing in some areas of the US.

At the same time, there are people in the US whose monthly Social Security benefits is $1,401/month and that's just too much money to qualify for HUD Section 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that an income like that makes anyone "poor".
In the United States, there are places where $6.92/hour = $26.92/hour.

That's right.

If I blind-folded you and took you to their homes, it would be totally impossible for you to tell which one earns $6.92/hour and which one earns $26/hour.

Their homes are the same, same number, make, model and year of cars -- the colors would be different of course -- same clothing labels, same shoes, same furniture and appliances, same everything.

In some places in the US, $1 really does equal $1, but in other places $1=$0.25 and in some $1=$3 or $1=$12.

It all depends entirely on where you live in the US.

You need to travel more.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I guess it is always someone else’s fault someone failed financially
The OP has already stated that they don't blame anyone else and they accept responsibility for their situation. This thread is about looking for solutions.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The OP has already stated that they don't blame anyone else and they accept responsibility for their situation. This thread is about looking for solutions.
The comment was not addressing the op , it was addressing the post finding fault here in all the aspects they listed

Old 06-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm brand new here and trying to come to terms with what it's going to be like to be poor in retirement, especially since we are accustomed to a 6-figure income now. I'm 62 and dh is 63. We are among the millions who, with the exception of a couple of houses we bought and sold a long time ago, did not save or invest for retirement. I need to say that I'm very aware of the mistakes we made, our irresponsibility, as well as extenuating circumstances that made saving difficult (special needs child). No scolding necessary. We've been through the miserable beating ourselves up stage. I'm trying to problem-solve.

We rent in a very affluent New England town. By our SS calculations, allowing for me taking retirement now (500.) and dh taking his at 70 ($4000.), we will be receiving between 4500 - 5000/month. (That upper number assuming that my amount will go up to a percentage of his benefit.)

It will be possible to move further into the country, say, Vermont, and rent a cottage for about $1200. That would also be about the cost to stay here and live in elderly, public housing. A thought which (unnecessarily) shames me. It also kind of intrigues me: such a wealthy town doesn't really have a public housing waiting list.

We will have 1 car, no debts, and very simple needs. Moving isn't an option, we're in metro-Boston, have no funds for a downpayment and cannot find a rental for less than what we are paying now.

You do not get spousal benefits based on his 70 amount .... all spousal is based only on fra amounts ...

He will get 4000 and you will get 500 plus a spousal adder .

if you take half his full amount ,not 70 ,and subtract your fra amount , any difference will be added to your 500 bucks ...it will always be less then what half his fra amount would be since you filed early ...only survivor uses delayed credits to 70

Old 06-30-2019, 03:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
AS far as the OP is concerned---if they still have strong attachments to New England, they should consider relocating to places such as Worcester or Providence, where the housing costs are much,much less..

Old 06-30-2019, 04:23 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I can totally relate to the "Northeastern privilege" syndrome. When I was forced to leave my home state of Massachusetts after my hubby died and moved to Florida, you bet I felt "better" than everyone. I had an attitude. Going on 4 years later I have lost a lot of that attitude but I still smh over so much down here.
Interesting. I didn't know that was an option we had.

On a related matter, I've been to the Walking Dead show at Universal Studios in Orlando, but I never took it literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement