U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Also, comparing anything to the Holocaust, that is not as horrific as the Holocaust, is offensive by its very nature and can be seen as minimizing the horror of that era.

True. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 08:28 AM

1,027 posts, read 352,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why would it be offensive to state a fact? "Work makes you free" was, in fact, posted at the entrance of Nazi concentration camps.
Ignorant post

Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Retirement is the first step on road to dementia and/or death.
I find the above offensive. Very inaccurate pertaining to dementia. And retirement is not the cause of death nor lead to early death for beyond the vast majority of people. As if all people are weaklings without self-direction and self-control, and without abilities to enjoy life and find enjoyable activities/interests without work.

(perhaps it partially applies to how the poster who stated it feels about himself, but to extrapolate to all or most people is very inaccurate and inflammatory)

Last edited by matisse12; 07-06-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 12:05 PM

200 posts, read 73,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I've never known anyone who wanted to work forever. The dream of most people is to get out of work ASAP. The dream for most is to retire at 55, if not sooner.

I can't imagine a better job than retirement. If anybody asks what you do, you are retired. That's it. You don't have to explain how great or rotten your job was. I think being able to control your own time is the main thing. Even if your job is great, you still have to be somewhere doing something. No thanks. There is also the authority issue. If you have some demanding boss you dislike, think about what kind of relationship you might have if you were both retired and never worked together. Heck, you might even be friends and enjoy each others company. Not being under anybody's thumb is something I am looking forward to.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:19 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I feel sorry for the young people nowadays can hardly find jobs because so many old people want to work for so long. Old people don't resign their job when they reach retirement age, how can there be positions open for the younger ones?
Many areas have very low unemployment rates.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:05 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,373,396 times
It all depends on the job.

I'll be 71 in a few months and still working full time but it is on my terms.

Where I work is 800 miles away from the office (heck of a daily commute) so what I do is work two weeks (one weekend) away from home then come home for two weeks over a three weekend period so I am home more than at the office.

I've never had a "schedule" in my adult life. The way my job is I can come and go as I please but the job has to get done and nobody else in the company can do it so it is all up to me. If I have a lot of work to do 60 hour work weeks are not uncommon but when I am caught up I will goof off and I don't care who knows it. There have been some 70 hour weeks but luckily they don't happen all that often.

80% of my time is spent in front of a computer laying out projects using AutoCad with some specialized programs that does hydraulic calculations.

When I am at home I have an office in the upstairs bedroom and work except in the summer I do take a two or three hour afternoon break to enjoy the swimming pool. Typically at work in my bathrobe at 8:00 until 2:00 when I take a break for the pool then work two or three hours after the pool. Sometimes I work in the evening because I don't like watching television and I get bored.

When I am at the office I will work whatever... hours don't matter to me because I would rather work than live in an apartment by myself.

I would say 20% of my time is spent on job sites either surveying or for inspections when I am required to be there.

Company pays the travel expenses so not a burden on me there.

Flying back to the office on Tuesday.

Best thing about it is if I wanted to retire tomorrow I know I can. When? Could be next week or five years... we'll see but it is all my call.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:09 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
IMHO, if you like what you are doing, you are already retired.
And that is a BIG if.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:04 PM

1,171 posts, read 463,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
The point of this thread? You Can work practically forever IF you are in the RIGHT line of work which makes your life better than it would be if fully retired. After trust is established, some jobs can be molded for the better. For both client and employee or as long as it doesn't affect or is beneficial. Self employed is usually a better option imho. Interested in others thoughts/ ideas
Great points in your post, EG.

And many of us (I'm late 40s) will be working a lot longer into our lives (if we live long enough) so we better try to find things we like in our jobs - whatever those jobs may be.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 2,299,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
If you don't understand, I'm not sure how else to explain it
Don't sweat it. That poster would try to rain on your parade if you lived in the Garden of Eden

Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

9,741 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I don't think I would want to work that many "volunteer" hours painting at my own expense. When do you begin to feel that your community might be taking advantage of you? You are working to get out of the house....a rose by any other name. Some get paid for their work and some do not. They are volunteers. I am past 70 and at this stage, if someone other than family is getting the benefit of my time, then I want to be paid for it.
Volunteering is exactly that, the when and how long are controlled by the volunteer. Sure, there is a strong tendency for any group or entity to try and take advantage of the volunteer, but again it's the choice of the volunteer to if, or how much he/she
acquiesces to those additional demands.

You can call it what you want, or assign any motive you care to for volunteering activities, that's a personal perspective that may or may not apply equally to everyone.

Yep, volunteering does get one out of the house, and it does expand one's horizons and perspectives- just how much depends on the particular volunteer "gig", and the volunteer's own outlook on things. But it also provides needed services, and is a way to give back to one's community, to express gratitude for the opportunities and gifts ( not necessarily monetary) that a volunteer has been given in his/her own life.

And from my own perspective, our retirement resources ( as well as long term planning on our part), more than fulfills our financial needs. So I don't need the money from a job.

But LOL, I don't think I'd volunteer to paint a house or anything else. I don't think the owners would want me to do so, either. It'd be better to volunteer for something I'm reasonably competent at doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement