U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

14,013 posts, read 20,317,250 times

Advertisements

"Benny Ficeto of Perth Amboy, New Jersey, has been doing oddjobs since he 'retired' in the 1980s. Steve Hartman reports on the 97-year old who loves a hard day's work."
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/hartma...ar-old-bagboy/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:34 AM

8,818 posts, read 5,119,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Also, comparing anything to the Holocaust, that is not as horrific as the Holocaust, is offensive by its very nature and can be seen as minimizing the horror of that era.
Sure. But does comparing something to the Nazi work ethic equate to comparing something to the Holocaust?

Old Today, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 9,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Sure. But does comparing something to the Nazi work ethic equate to comparing something to the Holocaust?
I think there was alot of miscommunication going on.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

15,846 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes. You wouldn't say "we're building this highway to Hitler's Autobahn standards.

Old Today, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yes. You wouldn't say "we're building this highway to Hitler's Autobahn standards.
See, I think you have it completely backwards. Referring to the Nazi work ethic is not comparing anything to the Holocaust. Stating "yes, they are the same" (as you have just done) is.

Old Today, 03:19 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,440,673 times
I understand the point he was trying to make (or the other poster) further upthread. It was that some people consider an emphasis on working long into one's old age can be a form of brainwashing or a form of strong persuasion through psychological techniques or trying to get people to follow a group ethic - even to the lack of necessity for it - a form of group-think.

Old Today, 03:30 PM

1,239 posts, read 585,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In the Marketwatch.com article above, all of the negative characteristics occurring in retirement which may lead to an early death are voluntarily chosen by the retirees:

being sedentary

having fewer social interactions

increasing tobacco or alcohol use

other unhealthy behaviors not delineated, but would include a poor diet without enough nutritional healthy foods

The only voluntarily chosen factor which is not completely voluntary is possibly not having enough social interactions. Some people live rurally without a lot of interaction, others do not have adequate transportation. Or there are impediments to social interactions not wishing to be overcome. Others find it difficult to replicate the daily social interactions which were available while working.

With certain health problems one might be somewhat sedentary - but one can do hand weight lifting in one's house, rubber band exercises, floor exercises, have an exercise machine at home sometimes - all in one's home.

from the article:

“In short, retirement will have a negative impact on your health if you become more sedentary, have fewer social interactions, increase tobacco or alcohol use, or engage in any of a number of other unhealthy behaviors.
But it could be positive for your health, if for example you become more physically active or take more time to think carefully about what you eat.”

“After all, unhealthy behaviors have detrimental consequences no matter when they are incurred.”

“Why would taking early retirement lead to increased mortality? The evidence points to unhealthy changes in life style that often accompany retirement. For example, the professors point to other research that found male “retirees become sedentary, often watching more television.” Tellingly, there appears to be no increase in sedentariness among females after retirement, which may be a reason why there is a lower mortality rate among women who retire at age 62.”

“Unlike women, furthermore, male retirees in particular also appear to have fewer social interactions after they stop working, which other studies have found to have a negative impact on health. Still other studies have found there to be an increase in tobacco and alcohol use after stopping working.”
As a retiree, I finally have the time I have always wanted to exercise more! When I go to the gym during the day, it is full of retirees. Of course, I realize this is just a small percentage of the actual retirees in the area. We all make choices.

Old Today, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I understand the point he was trying to make (or the other poster) further upthread. It was that some people consider an emphasis on working long into one's old age can be a form of brainwashing or a form of strong persuasion through psychological techniques or trying to get people to follow a group ethic - even to the lack of necessity for it - a form of group-think.
Yes, I agree that was the person's point. You sometimes see a reference to our public school system when such a point is made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement