U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 04:49 AM

10 posts, read 1,048 times

Advertisements

I am still in my 20s now and I feel like the need to work until 60 because of the too much pressure that I need to accomplish. Feel like I need to travel to different countries and at the same time have tons of insurance fee...seems like I will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 AM

1,644 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I agree. Home insurance usually isn't that expensive unless you live in flood zone, then it can be pricey.
Definitely need homeowners insurance, windstorm, fire, and liability.

Flood insurance isn't included in regular homeowner's policies. We pay $450/year for it, in Houston, but are not in a flood zone.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:29 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,531,420 times
Thatís one way to live your life, it sounds like it works well for you and you are happy with it. For my wife and I, we take the opposite view. We went to school for high income IT careers. Going to school was a sacrifice. You had to study hard in school to be at the top of your class. But that hard work sets you up for life! Then you get a good job, but it takes years to become a high income job. Meanwhile, you donít spend all you earn like others that are working similar jobs, you live well below your means, and save a lot of money for your retirement.

Eventually, after a couple decades of living below your means, with extreme saving and investing, your invested income earns more than your two high incomes combined. You then reach a point in your life where working is an option, not a requirement. You reach a point where it is not worth it to continue working, and retire early. Itís better to retire sooner than later, if you can afford to retire sooner. Eventually, youíll lose your health, and when you lose your health, your quality of life drastically decreases. If you retire too late, you miss out on more years of better health during your retirement years. You canít get that time back, once itís gone.

We both retired early. Our lifestyle hasnít changed, living on two pensions and the health savings money. Eventually, weíll start withdrawing our retirement money and start collecting our social security. At that point, weíll need to start spending more money than weíre used to spending, living below our means. We donít worry about money at all. Life is better without the hassles of working, attending pointless meetings, and doing some projects which are brain dead. Often times in IT, the management rises well past their level of competence.

In retirement, we go to bed and get up on our schedule, not the jobís schedule. We do what we want to do, and donít do what we donít want to do. If we get sleepy in the afternoon, we take a nap. Every day we feel rested. The rush hour commute to and from work is gone. The stress is gone. We try to do our shopping during the work week when the stores and roads are not crowded. The quality of life is drastically higher with the freedom we have with our time during retirement.

We didnít get where we are today by winning the lottery or a huge inheritance. We educated ourselves to be able to have high rate of return careers, and scarified for decades, living below our means. Most people can have more success in life than they think they can achieve. The person that limits your success in life is usually yourself. Of course, thereís some luck in life. If we died early, we would have scarified for decades, and wouldnít be enjoying the higher quality of life today.

Itís good that you found what works for you to live your life. We went down a different path in life, and what we did worked well for us. If you can afford to retire early, and you donít have stress worrying about money, retirement is awesome!

Old 07-02-2019, 05:42 AM

3,989 posts, read 3,212,294 times
Whatever floats your boat. Im more physically and mentally healthy since I retired. I live very comfortably, since I planned for it. And I dont have to punch a clock or take orders from anyone in order to pay my bills. But good for you, if you want to continue working. I just hope you will be prepared for when you cant work or will be forced out, because it can happen.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 AM

7,056 posts, read 1,773,412 times
I am in my 50's, self employed and have no plans to ever fully retire. I know lots of people like myself. Near me is a very large retirement community with lots of snowbirds as well as year round residents. I bike through there regularly and chit chat with some of the residents. They are middle to upper middle class. About half have golf carts along with all the usual stuff. Overall they seem extremely bored and seem to lack any purpose left in life. Its down to doctor's appointments, visits by family and guy who rides through their neighborhood on a bike. There is always a neighbor or acquaintance "passing" that keeps the inevitable out there not far away.

Yet the OP here gets all this negative flack for not only having a purpose in life but still being a productive member of society. Seems to me that many replies are out of jealousy or regret. Trying to remind the OP that they retired early or the OP might lose that job they like at any moment. I get it, if you work a long career working for others, even if its high paying there is always someone above you making more and working less. I guess that wears on you and you seethe and the faster you can get the heck out of there the better. That is just my take.

To the OP. Good for you! Don't let the negative comments bother you. There are always haters.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-02-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 AM

78,749 posts, read 33,503,872 times
Nobody cares if a person wants to work forever. Just work.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 AM

205 posts, read 31,420 times
I certainly do not want to work forever - at 54 I have already worked 35 years - I am stopping after 42 years when I hit 62.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:03 AM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody cares if a person wants to work forever. Just work.
Exactly, especially if you have a job where you can bring your dogs to work everyday and sleep for 6 hours at a time, lounge on a couch, watch TV and play on a computer. I could probably work there until I dropped dead at 97.

Last edited by marino760; 07-02-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 09:46 AM

7,226 posts, read 4,119,698 times
You've been sniffing too much of that Elmer's glue. Five years into retirement and I haven't missed working once yet. And I have plenty to keep me busy.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:09 AM

7,290 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
A take off from the other it's inevitable we will be poor in retirement thread.
WORKING forever is a dreadful concept to most
Except when it isnít...
When it forces you to stay physically & mentally healthy
The single best thing I could do for both my physical and mental health is to retire from my current job. Many jobs aren't compatible with a healthy lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement