U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM

58 posts, read 9,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sorry about your predicament. Working beyond your peak age isn't something to relish.
My predicament? this would make more sense if directed to GalaxyHi. If you mean it isn't normally something to relish, I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well thats all great IF you WANT to work forever, or are PHYSICALLY able to.

I was medically retired at age 40 on SSDI.

I will be 56 in the fall.

I DO work, and am allowed to part time. I cant see myself working up to age 60 at the rate I'm going.
I have a very bad back, bad hips and bad knees. I take morphine and codeine routinely, get steroid injections, radio frequency ablation routinely also. I wear 2 knee braces, even now in summer with shorts on. I have a back brace, sevdral in fact, but they ride up on me. On Monday the 8th, i will the neurosurgeon about fusing more vertebra in my neck, i already have other vetebra in my neck fused. I use a cane to get around, sometimes two.

My OH has a bad back and hips, has Pagets bone disease in one hip, which ADDS bone tissue to the hip, and osteoporosis in the other, which takes away bone.

OH is now 60. We both have earned handicapped plates and hangtags the HARD way, and have to prove it every 3 years.

We know we are late to the retirement savings party, and will have to struggle to work as long as we can, which with each passing dAy becomes shorter and shorter.

But, hey, if you want to work till you drop dead at work, and are healthy enough to do so,go ahead, but don't try telling the rest of us we should too.

I will be lucky if i live into my 70s, let alone work until then.

YOU don't live our lives or deal with the constant pain we live with, and its getting harder and harder to get a simple pill that help manage the pain, but does not totally eliminate it.
Wow. I admire you for working at all under your circumstances. Hang in there, so sorry you were dealt that hand in life

This is why the title reads"Working almost forever- Yes it can be a GREAT thing!"

Kale juice from a vegetarian stand 3x a week TOTALLY keeps my eyesight pain away. I've forgotten I even have it since we regularly eat out at this vegetarian stand, their food is so filling and delicious.

The pain disappears and eventually, slowly, comes back if I haven't had another juice cup of kale for a few days. It's much better than any pill. 8 ounces of mostly kale, some carrot & celery lasts about a day and a half. I was juicing it at home but would sometimes get a bad batch of kale that wouldn't work. That's my guess. Or the pain relief would still be there, a slight ache or something.

For some reason, whatever the restaurants source of organic kale is, it's very good and reliable. I only drink organic kale.

Last edited by ElmersGlue.; 07-03-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 09:33 AM

8,815 posts, read 5,119,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How is that an awesome life? I don't know one person that would want to live like that and I doubt anyone would describe it as great.
Everybody's different. If OP is happy with OP's life, that is all that matters.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Everybody's different. If OP is happy with OP's life, that is all that matters.
exactly

Old 07-03-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No one else finds it problematic that after living six decades or more, the only purpose in ones life comes from a job?
I don't think he said the actual job provides the purpose, but it provides structure which allows them to have purpose in their lives. I am one of those folks who does better with structure though I like alot of time to myself too. Any helping profession would also contribute to a persons purpose in life.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: I think it is REALLY COOL that you LOVE your job! It sounds GREAT for you.

So many people will rain on your parade - ignore them all and carry on with your awesome life!!!
Thanks

Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
are you trying to convince us or you that working forever is a wonderful thing ?
It's a wonderful thing for me. We've been eating out 3x a week at a vegetarian stand $12.50 a plate & $5 organic vegetable juice. I assumed we were saving only around 50% of my earnings (about $507 a mo.). He says it's closer to $675 so that's better.

I am happy we are so healthy and fit while having so much free time on our hands. The structure is key for my well being and extra $ to feel like needs are easily met

Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
I don't think he said the actual job provides the purpose, but it provides structure which allows them to have purpose in their lives. I am one of those folks who does better with structure though I like alot of time to myself too. Any helping profession would also contribute to a persons purpose in life.
Structure and purpose are different things.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Structure and purpose are different things.
If you don't understand, I'm not sure how else to explain it

Old 07-03-2019, 11:00 AM

7,888 posts, read 5,024,944 times
One of my coworkers is turning 85 this summer. It's an aeronautical engineering organization. He was already working as a practicing engineer in 1957, when the USSR launched Sputnik and the US suffered what was perhaps its more embarrassing technology surprise in living (for some) memory. He reports how "young people suddenly flooded the profession". His avowed goal is to not retire before age 100.

Another fellow with whom I've had research-contracts retired from Lockheed-Martin in the 1980s. He formed his own company, then another, and is now in an advisory role (but still full time) in the latter. I don't know his exact act, but I recall him telling anecdotes of how he was a teenager when Pearl Harbor was struck in 1941.

A few years ago, I was at a "proposers' day" function at an alphabet-agency near DC. My own hair is graying quite noticeably. But shockingly, I was one of the few people in the audience whose hair wasn't completely white. Quite likely, the median age in that room was 65+. These are senior engineering technical-people (not CEOs, but still high-up). But still... the age-range was shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement