U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM

3,686 posts, read 1,863,297 times

Advertisements

I would sooner pick sh*t with the chickens than return to the working world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Everyone has different priorities and make different choices. It's the regrets that come later that bite you in the butt. I retired early and did part-time work for seven years and enjoyed the social contact, a little pocket money, and accomplishments. I needed those things because I was in my 50s. I'm glad I stopped and fully retired when I did. I had other priorities and choices by then.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:43 AM

1,699 posts, read 4,060,618 times
It totally depends on the job/field. For me having tenure in academia I retain full benefits when I work 50% of full time. The work is interesting, innovative, and meaningful, and hence I see a lot of people in this field working well into their 80s. As long as your mind is sharp I can see people continue to carry on in this environment.

Again these types of jobs are far and few in between, where you set your own hours, with no one to micromanage you, and virtually no stress.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:04 PM

15,844 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
The point of this thread? You Can work practically forever IF you are in the RIGHT line of work which makes your life better than it would be if fully retired. After trust is established, some jobs can be molded for the better. For both client and employee or as long as it doesn't affect or is beneficial. Self employed is usually a better option imho. Interested in others thoughts/ ideas
I agree. Retirement is the first step on road to dementia and/or death.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:29 PM

146 posts, read 157,416 times
I've been working since I was 16. But my first "real" job was at 27 (put myself through college and grad school, so it took a little longer than normal).

So I'm 17 years in. And having had kids in my 40s, I've got at least another 30 to go.

Maybe I can go part time in my 70s. I don't see myself not working. Just can't envision it. Did enough of that when I was recovering from a surgery in my 20s.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:23 PM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree. Retirement is the first step on road to dementia and/or death.
Only one in six women and one in 10 men will develop dementia in their life whether working or not. As far as death, everyone dies and many die at work before they retire.
My step father dropped dead at work in his 50s. Not being retired didn't save him.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:33 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:

The point of this thread? You Can work practically forever IF you are in the RIGHT line of work which makes your life better than it would be if fully retired. ......

I would rather have your 2 German Shepard dogs tear me to pieces than to "work practically forever". You could claim a mercy killing & get off by the jury & return to work by the next day.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 PM

6,599 posts, read 3,736,021 times
Quote:
A take off from the other it's inevitable we will be poor in retirement thread.
WORKING forever is a dreadful concept to most
Except when it isn’t...
When it forces you to stay physically & mentally healthy
Allowing you to live comfortably, desiring for almost nothing
No debt is key with a paid off house or somehow, very low housing.
You can be sooo much poorer without loosing quality of life.

We are truly poor. $1915 combined SS
$1025 net monthly paycheck (min wage)

Our small accomplishments-well into our 70's
Modest fully remodeled home w/ 780 sf garage on 4 acres
Newer Hybrid vehicle, older pick up, Solar Panels, & Well.
No homeowners insurance, utilities or internet bills.
Neighbor shares her internet just $5 a month with her "package"

California is reasonable upon two things- Auto insurance & Property Tax (though counties can add+)

I like my job because….
1. Bring both of my German Shepherds to work. Client loves my "guard dogs" They are barkers!
2. Conduct an hr Bible Study on Wednesdays on the grounds making the area appear to have “more activity” Client says it deters crime.
3. Some of us walk our dogs for 30 min after the study. Great for our dogs, nice socialization for me!
4. My ministry is addressing / shipping bibles to prisoners who request. Done at work. Otherwise it would be completed on personal time
5. 2 hrs of the shift is cycling. If I choose, I can drive. Client says now Criminals will not know “what to look for”- dog(s) foot, car, or cycling Patrol! deterring criminals.
6. Nice Mobile home with couches, internet, large screen tv w/cable, desk, kitchenette, bed, etc. Quiet area. Easy to sleep. Nice area for bible studies.
7. Groceries bought before shift are stored in the work refrigerator-Overall better deals in this town than our own.
8. A warm Shower after cycling. Before bed. Change into a clean uniform. Sooo nice!
9. Sleeping outside with my two dogs weather permitting

Our German Shepherds are taken on the walks.

Both ride in the patrol vehicle during winter (no cycling)Less gas costs when cycling.

DH & I are provided very good vision/dental@ $10 a mo.,

No cost Premier Triple AAA insurance covers all our toys plus vehicles..

A little PTO. Owners always willing to trade shifts.

An additional hour of downtime during winter is used to make our homemade dog food.
Company has just one Client. A kind man. Coverage needed from 6pm-6am 7 days wk.

Owners work two 12 hr shifts with their son working one shift. We are Security Guards for huge concrete/pavement/well drilling company.

The point of this thread? You Can work practically forever IF you are in the RIGHT line of work which makes your life better than it would be if fully retired. After trust is established, some jobs can be molded for the better. For both client and employee or as long as it doesn't affect or is beneficial. Self employed is usually a better option imho. Interested in others thoughts/ ideas
Many seniors don't have a choice. They're laid off, gently nudged out, etc. If they need to work, they'll get whatever they can, at a fraction of their prior salary, with no challenge or job satisfaction.That is working not for enjoyment. That's working to get by.

A lot does depend on one's attitude, though.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 PM

30,062 posts, read 47,297,325 times
My husband was talking today with guy he went to school with—still lives in town they grew up in in central TX
The guy has worked for Mission Ice company for probably 40 yrs—
Fell off a scaffold in an ice plant more than 20 yrs ago and had lot of broken bones
He is 71 and is still working...for that company
Despite having been in wheel chair and on crutches because of his injury for years—
Is having bad pain in his hips and getting treatment for sciatic nerve damage from the fall
Go figure—
July 4 is big business day for ice company so he is working overtime...

Old 07-03-2019, 08:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,094,492 times
I'd rather not die on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement