U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:56 PM

57 posts, read 9,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I've never known anyone who wanted to work forever. The dream of most people is to get out of work ASAP. The dream for most is to retire at 55, if not sooner.
I believe this is true.
I've always wanted to work p/t to keep in shape and have a little extra money. My far is all I'd do is sit around and get depressed. As someone already said, different strokes for different folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 PM

394 posts, read 156,333 times
Good for you!
You need the income and like the work, so it is a win-win situation for you!

Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 PM

Yes but for those without self control, a job allowing you to cycle might work. It gives me satisfaction to ride around while on the clock. Otherwise I tend to only go once a week. With the 12 hr shift once a week, I end up riding my bike 2x. Also walking the dog. It's great exercise.

We also generally do something physical/outdoorsy 1-2x a week. My legs are in better shape.

People don't generally consciously chose those factors, btw, they just take hold of them due to a lack of motivation.

They don' take hold of us. If i am not working though, it's much harder to be motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In the Marketwatch.com article above, all of the negative characteristics occurring in retirement which may lead to an early death are voluntarily chosen by the retirees:

being sedentary

having fewer social interactions

increasing tobacco or alcohol use

other unhealthy behaviors not delineated, but would include a poor diet without enough nutritional healthy foods

The only voluntarily chosen factor which is not completely voluntary is possibly not having enough social interactions. Some people live rurally without a lot of interaction, others do not have adequate transportation. Or there are impediments to social interactions not wishing to be overcome. Others find it difficult to replicate the daily social interactions which were available while working.

With certain health problems one might be somewhat sedentary - but one can do hand weight lifting in one's house, rubber band exercises, floor exercises, have an exercise machine at home sometimes - all in one's home.

from the article:

“In short, retirement will have a negative impact on your health if you become more sedentary, have fewer social interactions, increase tobacco or alcohol use, or engage in any of a number of other unhealthy behaviors.
But it could be positive for your health, if for example you become more physically active or take more time to think carefully about what you eat.”

“After all, unhealthy behaviors have detrimental consequences no matter when they are incurred.”

“Why would taking early retirement lead to increased mortality? The evidence points to unhealthy changes in life style that often accompany retirement. For example, the professors point to other research that found male “retirees become sedentary, often watching more television.” Tellingly, there appears to be no increase in sedentariness among females after retirement, which may be a reason why there is a lower mortality rate among women who retire at age 62.”

“Unlike women, furthermore, male retirees in particular also appear to have fewer social interactions after they stop working, which other studies have found to have a negative impact on health. Still other studies have found there to be an increase in tobacco and alcohol use after stopping working.”

Old 07-05-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
Good for you!
You need the income and like the work, so it is a win-win situation for you!

Old 07-05-2019, 11:19 PM

684 posts, read 248,421 times
I feel sorry for the young people nowadays can hardly find jobs because so many old people want to work for so long. Old people don't resign their job when they reach retirement age, how can there be positions open for the younger ones?

Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 AM

4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I feel sorry for the young people nowadays can hardly find jobs because so many old people want to work for so long. Old people don't resign their job when they reach retirement age, how can there be positions open for the younger ones?

They keep building endless skylines packed with skyscrapers made out of millions of cubicles. Places for young people to work.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:10 AM

26,075 posts, read 28,473,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
It's a wonderful thing for me. We've been eating out 3x a week at a vegetarian stand $12.50 a plate & $5 organic vegetable juice. I assumed we were saving only around 50% of my earnings (about $507 a mo.). He says it's closer to $675 so that's better.

I am happy we are so healthy and fit while having so much free time on our hands. The structure is key for my well being and extra $ to feel like needs are easily met
I think it's great you're able to save more than 1/2 your earnings. The key thing about working is doing it because you want to and not because you have to. To a degree, you need to work because you need the extra income beyond what you get from Social Security. Fortunately, you don't need a lot of extra income. And since you're saving more than 1/2 of your paycheck, that means if you can't or don't want to work, you'll be able to do without a paycheck for a good amount of time.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 07-06-2019 at 04:25 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 06:08 AM

970 posts, read 602,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

I can only speak about my profession being an R.N. for 41 years, and what I have witnessed over the last 20 or so years is that many but not all new nurses entering the profession and quite a few with many letters after their names do not want entry level positions where they may have to initially work the night shift including every other weekend and holiday on a medical/surgical unit or even in a nursing home. And the reason is because they feel their "degrees" should qualify them for a more advanced positions in leadership, education, etc. But their heavy didactic resumes are very light in clinical experience, and these young nurses don't see how important being clinically competent is along with learning to function in a healthcare work group which very little of this is obtained during college. And clinical competency and healthcare work group relationship building experience is the other 1/2 of the foundation needed to become effective nurse leaders, educators, and specialized practitioners.

When I was hired into my current position which I have had for nearly 20 years I brought with me 20 years of very diverse nursing experience and that more importantly than my education was what got me hired into the position. Being now one of the older and more experienced nurses in my department I do a good deal of orientation for nurses hired to work in my department. At present I am orienting 3 nurses all in their mid 40s the same age and similar nursing experience that I had when I was hired. No different than me, within a few years of gaining experience working in our department their competency level will be equal to if not greater than mine. And when that happens I will be retiring and handing the baton to them to take over the mentorship of the nurse that will replace me as I did with them who replaced nurses that retired that were my mentors.

So all that being said, I feel in no way, shape, or form that myself choosing to work to my FRA of 66.6 is preventing a new graduate nurse from getting my job because the chances of them getting hired to replace me would doubtfully happen. Yes, we are all replaceable in the workforce, but many times finding those equally qualified replacements for those exiting the workforce > 60 is not always so easy. And I can think of several posters here who got called back to the jobs they retired from because their positions were difficult to fill or they were asked to train those who eventually replaced them. And I suspect the same will happen with my nurse manger who retired last week whose position was not replaced prior to his retirement because there were no qualified candidates who applied and the search is ongoing.

If any young person truly wants to work even if the job in their chosen field is not readily available, there is plenty of other work out their available to fill the gap until their ideal job becomes available. And if that ideal job never becomes available it is likely because their chosen field is too saturated and competitive with qualified candidates, or so obscure it likely doesn't even exist. And when that happens it is time to look at other career options.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:53 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why would it be offensive to state a fact? "Work makes you free" was, in fact, posted at the entrance of Nazi concentration camps.

When paired with the terms "conditioned" and "brainwashed", as it was, the entire comment was vile.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,057,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
When paired with the terms "conditioned" and "brainwashed", as it was, the entire comment was vile.
Also, comparing anything to the Holocaust, that is not as horrific as the Holocaust, is offensive by its very nature and can be seen as minimizing the horror of that era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement