Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 05:16 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

Well thats all great IF you WANT to work forever, or are PHYSICALLY able to.

I was medically retired at age 40 on SSDI.

I will be 56 in the fall.

I DO work, and am allowed to part time. I cant see myself working up to age 60 at the rate I'm going.
I have a very bad back, bad hips and bad knees. I take morphine and codeine routinely, get steroid injections, radio frequency ablation routinely also. I wear 2 knee braces, even now in summer with shorts on. I have a back brace, sevdral in fact, but they ride up on me. On Monday the 8th, i will the neurosurgeon about fusing more vertebra in my neck, i already have other vetebra in my neck fused. I use a cane to get around, sometimes two.

My OH has a bad back and hips, has Pagets bone disease in one hip, which ADDS bone tissue to the hip, and osteoporosis in the other, which takes away bone.

OH is now 60. We both have earned handicapped plates and hangtags the HARD way, and have to prove it every 3 years.

We know we are late to the retirement savings party, and will have to struggle to work as long as we can, which with each passing dAy becomes shorter and shorter.

But, hey, if you want to work till you drop dead at work, and are healthy enough to do so,go ahead, but don't try telling the rest of us we should too.

I will be lucky if i live into my 70s, let alone work until then.

YOU don't live our lives or deal with the constant pain we live with, and its getting harder and harder to get a simple pill that help manage the pain, but does not totally eliminate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 05:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Part time work is one of the most common ways retirees maintain Structure, Socialization, and Purpose in their lives after leaving full time employment. I am scheduled for Orientation next Tuesday in preparation for my post-retirement Volunteer Gig as a Docent at a Historical Village.

To the OP: I don't agree with your decision to forgo insurance on your home, if I read that correctly. Far too much risk!
No one else finds it problematic that after living six decades or more, the only purpose in ones life comes from a job?

Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
OP: I think it is REALLY COOL that you LOVE your job! It sounds GREAT for you.

So many people will rain on your parade - ignore them all and carry on with your awesome life!!!

Old 07-02-2019, 05:46 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: I think it is REALLY COOL that you LOVE your job! It sounds GREAT for you.

So many people will rain on your parade - ignore them all and carry on with your awesome life!!!
How is that an awesome life? I don't know one person that would want to live like that and I doubt anyone would describe it as great.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How is that an awesome life? I don't know one person that would want to live like that and I doubt anyone would describe it as great.
He described it as great.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:02 PM

474 posts, read 318,052 times
Quote:
??? Did you not read the first post? The OP sounds pretty happy to me and good for them.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:41 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
He described it as great.

The OP is a she.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:

She seems a whole lot happier than you do. So if I was going to choose between the two of you as far as who has the more awesome life it would be her.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Perhaps the only reason I'd go back to work at 69 is to slow things down! I'm puzzled every single day of my retirement as to why the time flies so fast doing virtually nothing.

Yes, I am doing some volunteer work in my 55+ community but there's no timing to it. I do it when I feel like it.

I'm currently painting the car stoppers near the Community Center, they haven't been painted in 8 years. And I put a notice in the community news letter I'd be willing to paint mail box posts for free, your pick of gray, dark gray or white. And over the last 3 months I painted some 100 pylons in the community, using my own paint, as a gift to the community.

There's another retired man in the community who does minor repairs for anyone, free of charge, they only need to provide the material.

At the Benedictine Monastery in Tucson they house those that have just been granted asylum, and there's over 50 volunteers there. I'm sort of afraid to volunteer there as it might become overwhelming and I might get too caught up in it all, and "work" 60-70 hours a week down there.

The OP should look at volunteerism, with unlimited possibilities.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
LOL. I don’t know ANYONE that wants to continue working forever. To be ABLE to, yes. To stay healthy and be able to maintain one’s home, and travel, and work on various projects...yes, of course. But having to continue working in a job, for a paycheck? Having to get up and drive to work every day? And come home at night exhausted and always trying to fit everything in...forever???? No thanks. I’ll take my retirement. I’ve worked hard for it, and really look forward to having time to do all those things I really want to do but don’t have time for. I left the gym at 10:30 last night and that was pushing it.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 07-03-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement