Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 PM

154 posts, read 92,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Many seniors don't have a choice. They're laid off, gently nudged out, etc. If they need to work, they'll get whatever they can, at a fraction of their prior salary, with no challenge or job satisfaction.That is working not for enjoyment. That's working to get by.

A lot does depend on one's attitude, though.
Yes but the majority of it is taking the job, getting them to trust you, then molding it so what you offer is beneficial to yourself and the employer.

We can live on SS but it's much easier to have an extra $400 and the remaining $500 saved.

When I took the job, I planned for it to turn out this way. This is no accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 11:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree. Retirement is the first step on road to dementia and/or death.
I retired at age 60, and I have never regretted it. I disagree with your statement. Retirement for me was liberation.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 PM

154 posts, read 92,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I retired at age 60, and I have never regretted it. I disagree with your statement. Retirement for me was liberation.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ler-2018-03-19

Old 07-05-2019, 07:40 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. Also depends on the job and whether work is physically strenuous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
Quote:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ler-2018-03-19
While obviously I agree with the article, there is, to be fair, an element of self-selection. I am 62, working, and relatively healthy. If I was unable to work I'd be likely to claim Social Security if I needed the cash. I would already be on a curve towards early disability or death. So there is some "selection bias."

Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No one else finds it problematic that after living six decades or more, the only purpose in ones life comes from a job?

Nope. I believe in to each his own.

I'm almost 72 and though I spent over 45 years in the workforce, as well as continuing a contract part time job for about 6 yrs after I retired from the workforce, I'm very happy to be in the position to pass the baton along to someone else.

While I enjoyed working most of those many years, I figure ( as I heard it said once), that retirement is the dessert of life, and as such, meant to enjoy as we are able and see fit.

Though I do feel a personal obligation, still to contribute, as I am able, to the betterment of the community in which I live, and I love. I figure, if we have a purpose in this life, it's to make our little corner of the world a better place for having been here.

Many ways to do this, the needs out there are great, volunteer opportunities abound, but even a smile, a simple act of courtesy may affect someone else in ways we may never know.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Technically this is true. Working does not change that. The idea that if you continue to work, it won't happen is not true. Each day you wake up is the next step.

If one wants to work, by all means, work if that is what makes you happy. For some it does. Nothing wrong with that but if you are disposed to dementia it's going to happen either way.

For some, working could possibly increase your lifespan. For others it could shorten it.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:18 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
[mod cut - deleted post]
Deeply offensive. I am Jewish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I retired at 50 (still do some part time work though of my own choosing and scheduling) and it was the best thing I've ever done. My weight/stress/blood pressure went down, I'm in better shape, exercise more (thanks to all the extra time I have now vs. when working), eat/sleep better and enjoy doing whatever I want whenever I want. Sound "demented"???....I think staying at work when you can/should leave out of some created fear tactic & scare mongering by those who pull the strings sounds like early dementia and it sounds like you have it.
At least you are doing something.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-06-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 09:22 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Actually, birth is the first step towards death. In between, you should try to do whatever appeals to you.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:40 AM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
I don't think I would want to work that many "volunteer" hours painting at my own expense. When do you begin to feel that your community might be taking advantage of you? You are working to get out of the house....a rose by any other name. Some get paid for their work and some do not. They are volunteers. I am past 70 and at this stage, if someone other than family is getting the benefit of my time, then I want to be paid for it.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:49 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times
Quote:
Deeply offensive. I am Jewish.
At least you are doing something.
Deeply offensive?? Sorry the truth hurts but the "work until you die or keep working or risk bad things happening" BS is not far off from the signs I referred to as attempts at guiding principles to condition people into a particular mindset..one dictated by those who benefit from such people buying into it and fearing death if they don't "comply".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement