Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

This is a "just for fun" trip down Memory Lane, and was prompted by another thread on another forum. I'll start, and the following refers what I personally experienced in the lower middle class communities I lived in during the 1960's. (I do realize that not everyone will have had the same experience I did!)

1. Showers and kids' birthday parties were inexpensive and very simple. Children's birthday parties consisted of just cake and ice cream and games of the"Pin the Tail on the Donkey" variety, and there were no goodie bags.(!) Showers also had just cake and coffee for refreshments, and games were those like cutting a ribbon to guess the girth of the mom-to-be or memory-type games that required no expenditure whatsoever. These parties were personal and fun and not meant to impress anyone.

2. Company Christmas parties were fairly extravagant (and, yes, it was Christmas parties back then and not holiday parties), and almost everyone received a Christmas bonus. (When I was a teen, even the owners of the small Mom and Pop sub shop where I worked hosted a Christmas party for their employees, and even us teenage part-timers received a $10.00 bonus, which was about six times our hourly wage back then, and it was very much appreciated.)

3. Babysitting was done by girls as young as 11 years old (and no, none of us had American Red Cross certification). Standard rate in my area in the mid-to-late 1960's was 50 cents an hour.

4. A child hardly ever heard the "f-bomb" in public -- I personally never heard that word until I was in my mid-teens -- and most mid-60's TV sit-coms did not even hint at the act of sexual intercourse. (In 1968, "Romeo and Juliet" was almost scandalous because Olivia Hussey very briefly flashed her breasts and there was about a five-second view of Leonard Whiting's bare bottom. I saw it with my 10th grade English class, but many of my classmates' parents refused to give permission for their children to see it.)

5. High school students at least pretended to respect their teachers; and no one I knew worried about, or even thought about, school safety except during fire drills. Female teachers wore skirts, and male teachers wore suits.

What else can you add from your own personal experience?

Last edited by katharsis; 06-19-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
All my dogs lived their entire lives outside, free to roam wherever their heart and hormones took them, and their diet was just table scraps, no dog food.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
All my dogs lived their entire lives outside, free to roam wherever their heart and hormones took them, and their diet was just table scraps, no dog food.
Yes, and none of the dogs I knew had dental treatments, either!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
You missed the gorilla in the room!

Here we are conversing over the internet with our computers at hand.
While I am going this, I have been sending emails and files to a gallery curator who is accepting some of my work for an upcoming exhibition. I also activited my credit card awards for next month.

Yesterday, my wife spent the afternoon on the computer preparing some digital artwork for juried show at another gallery. I worked on downloading and printing out forms to activate a small annuity.

In a few minutes we will leave for an appointment. Of course we will check the address online and then follow Google maps when we drive.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:47 AM

456 posts, read 348,607 times
Duck and cover. I don't think these last couple of generations understand the fear that could generate in young children. That's why the first version of Red Dawn did so well. The Russians and Cubans taking over the U.S. was a real life threat. There was no similar fear to use in the remake.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
We had bikes that we road miles from home. Not hunched over and racing but sitting upright and taking in the sights. No funky jerseys no helmets no holding up traffic we just pulled over to let cars pass. We played in open fields and fruit groves all afternoon.

Speaking of play, we had recess twice a day at school. Plus after lunch. There was none of this home schooling boondoggle. We had educated teachers and were all on the same page scholastically. We had physical education, once a week music, and art. We wrote book reports on paper and presented to the class. We played “thumbs up “ to break the seriousness every so often. Good times really.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,604 times
It's gone from bad to worse -- but then every generation has said that.

I think the worst thing that has happened is that we have come to think and believe that interdependence is as bad as dependence, and, consequently, we've become a very lonely and isolated people. Independent people. And I think it's literally tragic.

On a MUCH lighter note LOL: I and my ex-husband had the first Apple when it came out (wish I had it now -- it's worth a small fortune), and I've never been without a computer since then. But I didn't have internet until 1994 (it really wasn't available to the general public until about then). I wish I had had it in HS and college. Would have been doing research papers A LOT easier. I can't believe what I can research on a computer -- all that is available on Internet. It's still a miracle to me. //// I have a neighbor who got his doctorate in Theoretical Mathematics in the early 80s. His university didn't have internet (at least not for general use) but it did have a mainframe and computers with word processing capability. And it is really funny to hear him laugh about how difficult it was 'back then' to do his thesis on a word processor -- every equation was so very difficult and took so much time.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 AM

496 posts, read 552,988 times
Bullying in school was accepted behavior. The bullied kid was usually led to believe he or she had brought on themselves.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You missed the gorilla in the room!

Here we are conversing over the internet with our computers at hand.
While I am going this, I have been sending emails and files to a gallery curator who is accepting some of my work for an upcoming exhibition. I also activited my credit card awards for next month.

Yesterday, my wife spent the afternoon on the computer preparing some digital artwork for juried show at another gallery. I worked on downloading and printing out forms to activate a small annuity.

In a few minutes we will leave for an appointment. Of course we will check the address online and then follow Google maps when we drive.
Yes, and cellphones!! It seems that everyone now has at least a cellphone if not a Smartphone!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, and none of the dogs I knew had dental treatments, either!

...and if the dog bit someone, dad took it out back and shot it. There were no "misunderstood" breeds like pitbulls that could get away with mauling a kid and not be put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement