U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 02:02 PM

6,274 posts, read 4,740,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
really , do u enjoy listening to every used car salesman or time share pitch ?
I don't , its a waste of my time
if a 20 something lady who does not even bother to disclose her credentials claims to be a "financial planner" and tries to drum up expectations of retirement just to sell me some managed mutual funds then why should I trust her judgement or intentions ?
I would rather get a fiduciary

anyway the main purpose of posting this thread was , do all retirees suffer from wanderlust ? and it is something hard to realize when one is in his 40s. Just wanted some opinions on that not my psychoanalysis ( but feel free to spin your wheels )
If this is the case why did you meet with her at all? Why would you ever start a forum discussion on not being happy with someone you did not trust?

I am totally puzzled concerning this thread. What did you want to accomplish? Certainly you are not interested in discussing retirement goals. You have fixed ideas and made it clear that was not something you wanted to discuss. Are you just venting because you wasted your time? If you are interested in discussing why retirees often want to travel you certainly did not make that clear. You do not appear to be looking for a discussion when you describe the desire to travel as suffering or as wanderlust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM

344 posts, read 193,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If this is the case why did you meet with her at all? Why would you ever start a forum discussion on not being happy with someone you did not trust?

I am totally puzzled concerning this thread. What did you want to accomplish? Certainly you are not interested in discussing retirement goals. You have fixed ideas and made it clear that was not something you wanted to discuss. Are you just venting because you wasted your time? If you are interested in discussing why retirees often want to travel you certainly did not make that clear. You do not appear to be looking for a discussion when you describe the desire to travel as suffering or as wanderlust.
my job offers a free one time meeting with a financial planner
they do not give a bio of who you would be meeting

the goal was merely ( let me repeat ) to find out if close to retirement or after it most people tend to develop a strong desire for travelling which was not present in their younger years

I admit i was ranting about this financial planner but is the 3rd time Ive had a really bad experience with them

Old 07-05-2019, 03:59 PM

2,109 posts, read 722,454 times
I haven't read through all the posts but my last day in the office was one week after I called DH and said, "I think I'm going to quit my job on Monday". And so I did. I was 61.

I've ALWAYS wanted to travel- did before retirement and continue to do so. It's not for everyone and it can get darned expensive. Based on what I read on a Board of early retirees (and wannabe early retirees), many people traveled way too much in their working years and are done with it, or never wanted to at all, so they don't. Others retired early and with modest resources and choose to live a very simple life which excludes most travel.

My top 3 financial retirement priorities were, in this order, don't outlive my savings, help fund the 3 grandkids' college educations, and leave a legacy for DS (my only child) and DDIL. Within those constraints, I want to do more of what I enjoyed pre-retirement but have more time for now (visiting DS and DDIL 3 hours away, international travel, volunteer work). It IS a good thing to think about what life beyond work might look like and what you're going to do all day, but I did very little of that since I'd planned to retire at 65 but then got sick of the toxic politics. That was 5 years ago and I've figured it out. Life is very good!

And a comment on the "Maximize SS" goal: I agree with the financial planner that that's probably not enough. I was close to maxed out on SS early after many years of earnings over the wage cap. In my last 5 years of work I added another $500K in new money to my investments (PLUS close to $1 million in investment returns). Whatever additional SS I accrued was dwarfed by what I saved, plus portfolio returns, in those 5 years.

Last edited by athena53; 07-05-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 04:18 PM

6,274 posts, read 4,740,348 times
Quote:
my job offers a free one time meeting with a financial planner
they do not give a bio of who you would be meeting

the goal was merely ( let me repeat ) to find out if close to retirement or after it most people tend to develop a strong desire for travelling which was not present in their younger years

I admit i was ranting about this financial planner but is the 3rd time Ive had a really bad experience with them
You ranted about the financial advisor. You threw in your own goals and some of your own plans that had nothing to do with travel. If you are actually interested in understanding why some people want to travel in retirement, you might want to start over with a new thread, a new title, and a more relevant introduction.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

344 posts, read 193,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You ranted about the financial advisor. You threw in your own goals and some of your own plans that had nothing to do with travel. If you are actually interested in understanding why some people want to travel in retirement, you might want to start over with a new thread, a new title, and a more relevant introduction.
I wanted to give context to what made me start thinking of travel as big part of retirement goal of some people.
Let me start now
why do you think some people want travel to be a big part of their retirement and how realistic is it for most people considering the high % of illnesses in seniors

Old Today, 09:15 AM

556 posts, read 126,592 times
Quote:
I wanted to give context to what made me start thinking of travel as big part of retirement goal of some people.
Let me start now
why do you think some people want travel to be a big part of their retirement and how realistic is it for most people considering the high % of illnesses in seniors
If you don't have the desire to travel then don't.
I did my big traveling when I was younger. Got it all out of my system.
Now I'm just into day trips or weekend trips to various places.

Old Today, 10:43 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,538,753 times
Quote:
Let me start now
A lot of us never got to travel overseas before. I saw almost all of the U.S. and lived in many states so now it's time for something new.

With no children or ties to anyone else, it is the perfect activity for retirement years, if it interests you. I'd rather accumulate experiences, than "stuff".

Having lived overseas now, it doesn't seem daunting as it once might have.

Not going to worry about illness until it happens. Until then---Bon Voyage!

Old Today, 10:49 AM

1,605 posts, read 1,314,873 times
Quote:
Let me start now
I believe that it is because when they retire they “have the time”. Not everyone declines health wise soon after retirement. Many live quite a few years in good health. So if they never had the chance or time to travel before they prioritize it in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or