U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:14 PM

2,430 posts, read 3,657,283 times

Advertisements

The recently retired couple across the street, who are among the very few neighbors who lived here when we moved into the neighborhood in '81, are having a new home built very near their daughter 120 miles away. They anticipate listing their current home next February and moving in the Spring.

The retirement exodous is accelerating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 03:41 PM

2,158 posts, read 2,362,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
The recently retired couple across the street, who are among the very few neighbors who lived here when we moved into the neighborhood in '81, are having a new home built very near their daughter 120 miles away. They anticipate listing their current home next February and moving in the Spring.

Where do you live?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM

1,319 posts, read 642,453 times
Quote:

It`s the circle of life.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
It`s the circle of life.
A modern day wrinkle with the Circle of Life.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 PM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
That's one of the great things about retirement. Many people if they want to can move to where they please since no job search is required. This makes perfect sense to me. It's one of the big perks in not working anymore.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 PM

429 posts, read 104,127 times
Agree Marino760. No worries about employment. No worries about schools (kids grown and moved out).
It then all boils down to "where do I want to live" .

Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's one of the great things about retirement. Many people if they want to can move to where they please since no job search is required. This makes perfect sense to me. It's one of the big perks in not working anymore.
We have discussed this and decided to stay in close proximity to where we now live. Will be keeping our eyes open for a single story dwelling of less square footage, new or existing, but no desire to move away. We like the area where we have lived for 40 years, and our children give no indication they will ever settle in one spot for more than 5 years. The two couples have lived in Florida, New York, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Connecticut, DC, California, Michigan, and Saipan. No, they are not Military.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:25 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
For me, it was winter that finally caused me to move from Minnesota. At the time I just wanted to get away from the ice and snow.

I had no idea how beneficial Arizona would be for me in other ways.

I've always had allergies and just lived with them. They are so much less here. Arthritis pain is also greatly reduced.

It's great that you'll be staying in your same area. If you like where you're living, that is a good thing. There are people like me though, who find their body is less tolerant of things that were not such a problem when younger.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:36 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,829,371 times
These days, it seems unusual for people in a neighborhood to stay in one place for 40-years. Circumstances and desires change in life. (Obviously, there are exceptions to this).

With modern communications and transportation -- and fewer lifetime 'factory jobs,' people are far more aware of their options and able to do something about them, than they used to be. And even if they aren't particularly mobile, their children and grandchildren are likely to be.

(We moved to Central Florida about 45-years ago and vowed to never move further NORTH (although we did move 2-3 times in Central Fla). Then, the kids grew-up and settled with the grandkids about 8-9 hour away. So, we packed-up and moved to North Florida about 8-years ago). We don't like it as much as Central Florida, but, the grandkids are here!

Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 AM

7,594 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Saipan.
I knew a couple with two little kids who went to Saipan.

They were both teachers who'd lost their jobs. She landed a short-term teaching contract there, he stayed home with the kids and worked online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or