U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 09:34 PM

6,654 posts, read 3,767,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
As both my parents ended up with vascular dementia it is something I have discussed with my doctors. They recommend anything that basically is good for your heart and circulation. As stated above, exercise, healthy diet, maintaining a decent weight. Learning a foreign language is supposed to be good and it is something that I do.
I actually have some old tapes for learning French that I never did.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP besides all the games and exercises repeated here if you think you have a serious memory problem you should see a neurologist for evaluation and testing. Then they can set a program for you and/or prescribe medicines that will help.
My wife having problems saw a neurologist, they did an MRI of the brain and found some small lesions creating cognitive issues. They have her doing circulatory exercises along with prescription drugs to help with the issues.
No, I don't think so. I've always been a bit forgetful. A friend once said I have selective memory, since I could remember anything having to do with my work, but not outside of work. I was young then!

So it's worse, but typical forgetfulness, seems to me. Most things come to me later. A relative and I will have a conversation like:

ME: You know who that actor in this show is?

HIM (looking at me): Who?

ME: You know. It's that guy...oh, what's his name. He usu. has longer dark hair.

HIM: Hmmm. Oh, yeah. That guy who was in...what was he in?

ME: He was in that show about that boat...what movie was that?

HIM: Oh, yeah...I don't remember the name of the movie, but I know what you're talking about. Yeah, that's the same guy. He's been in a lot of movies.

ME: Yeah, that's him.

LOL!

Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
English is my first language, but I learned Spanish fluently in my youth. Spanish has been my daily "second language" since then. When I was 19, serving in the US Army, I was stationed in Germany for nearly 4 years (mid 1970s). I took intensive German language classes, and learned German quite well. I didn't speak German very often from the late 1970s up until my retirement 18 months ago, so I forgot some.

After retirement, I started studying German again with my old text book, reading and listening to news, and now reading many books. Amazon Kindle E-books are great, because you can load a dictionary app, and instantly look up a word translation as you are reading a book in another language.

I spent last summer in Germany, and my language skills returned almost to where they were in the 1970s. It is amazing how the brain works, to bring back memories of vocabulary and grammar. German has complex grammar and is much tougher than many other languages, so it is really a brain challenge.

I am back in Germany now and will probably stay beyond the summer season. I took a 2 month intensive grammar class (15 hours per week) in May & June to sharpen my skills.

Learning additional languages is a great brain exerciser. It is amazing how when I switch from English to Spanish or German, how the brain switches off from one language and starts thinking in the other language. I occasionally use a dictionary app on my smartphone if I need to find a key word.

Anyone else who speaks more than one language find that it helps with brain stimulation and function?
Impressive! Another poster recommended learning another language. I have some old French tapes that I could drag out and blow the dust off of.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A little pot can help. It makes young people stupid and old people smarter. Don't get baked, just take one hit of good quality bud a day, enough that you can feel a little buzz but not so much that you lose function.
I wish they'd legalize it here. I see nothing wrong with someone my age having a little pot as a stress reliever, sleep aid, or recreation at my home. But it's not legal where I am. A form of it is legal for medical reasons, but not the form that makes you feel good.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but changing my diet has enormously improved my cognitive ability. I'm now about 99 percent vegan - I cheat once in a blue moon by eating an egg here and there or some fish. Removing animal products and animal fat from my diet, and eating whole foods, plant based diet, has made a huge difference in how I feel.

So, whole grain bread, brown rice, lots of beans and veggies, fruit, is most of what I eat now and I feel a lot better.

Not saying anyone else is wrong for taking their drugs, but this is working for me. Your mile may vary.
No one has said that so far. There were a couple of posts about eating Keto or low carb, but I am semi-vegetarian, so that would be hard for me. I don't think I could be a vegan, though. I'll read up on that, though, and see if others experience increased brain function from a vegan diet. But I can't imagine giving up milk, eggs, cheese.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 PM

13,144 posts, read 6,260,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Scrabble.

Except you need a friend to play with
Not necessarily. Go to www.pogo.com and play scrabble with a "robot". They have other words games, too.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:45 PM

13,144 posts, read 6,260,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Grape Seed Extract, 25 yrs soon. GSE is 50x's more powerful than Vit E, and 20x's more powerful than Vit C.

Coconut Oil and coconut products when I'm moved..but CO every day.

I played bridge for many years and talk about keeping memory sharp... but had to quit due to knee issue and can't sit for hours now.
I had to stop grape seed extract due to side effects and negative interactions to some meds:

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/grape-seed.html

I'm not saying that others shouldn't take it. Just saying check to see the possible side effects and any negative interactions with meds one may be taking.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 AM

6,314 posts, read 4,760,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No one has said that so far. There were a couple of posts about eating Keto or low carb, but I am semi-vegetarian, so that would be hard for me. I don't think I could be a vegan, though. I'll read up on that, though, and see if others experience increased brain function from a vegan diet. But I can't imagine giving up milk, eggs, cheese.
What does reading up mean? Can you cite any scientific study that shows a specific vegetarian or vegan diet improves brain function?

Old 07-06-2019, 05:58 AM

5,809 posts, read 4,857,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Scrabble.

Except you need a friend to play with
Scrabble apps can be played against the "computer", on your phone, tablet, or PC/laptop. I have one on my phone for when I get bored in the waiting room at the doctor's, etc.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:48 AM

13,323 posts, read 6,375,629 times
I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. But not a vegetarian. I eat everything, but certainly more fish because I like it. Same with my husband. No restrictions of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement