U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 PM

5,601 posts, read 5,122,454 times

Advertisements

Learn another language or a new musical instrument. Find a way to USE them. any sort of musical practice, singing group, or dance lessons will work good parts of your brain and reduce stress.

Whatever you do, don't take statins.

and reduce your stress. if you are anxious or depressed, take meds for it. When you are under stress, the cortisol dump in your brain is having a negative impact on your memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 08:28 PM

5,601 posts, read 5,122,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wish they'd legalize it here. I see nothing wrong with someone my age having a little pot as a stress reliever, sleep aid, or recreation at my home. But it's not legal where I am. A form of it is legal for medical reasons, but not the form that makes you feel good.
You can also take CBD oil. Benefits without the high.

I think it makes me think more clearly (like caffeine) and I think I sleep better.

It's supposed to help with inflammation but so far I haven't noticed a difference in my joint aches or headaches.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:59 PM

13,358 posts, read 6,382,104 times
I eat boat loads of cherries, my favorite fruit, it turns out it has anti-inflammatory property. Who knew? I sleep like a baby without any drugs. Key thing is to eat light at night. If I eat red meat, I have trouble digesting. All natural, doesn’t cost a lot of money.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,731,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You can also take CBD oil. Benefits without the high.

I think it makes me think more clearly (like caffeine) and I think I sleep better.

It's supposed to help with inflammation but so far I haven't noticed a difference in my joint aches or headaches.
Try "Now" or "Nature's Way" Boswellia for inflammation. Takes about 4-8 weeks though before a significant difference is noticed.

Better do some research about CBD for sleep. CBD interferes with REM. And when I quit taking CBD in the evening, I had a week or two of bad sleep. The good thing for me is that I've never had insomnia and I've always slept well, so I don't need anything for sleep (well, other than an aspirin for assorted aches and pains).

Old 07-07-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I've noticed that I'm forgetting things more easily, now. Not Alzheimer's type of forgetting. But the "where did I put that?" is happening more often. Movie star names. What street that business is on. Have I seen that episode of that series before?

I wanted to do some things to try to improve my brain function and memory. I've read that doing crossword puzzles, brain teasers, etc., help. I've read that certain vitamin supplements help. Has anyone tried doing anything that you think has helped make your brain sharper?
A lot of things, besides age, can do that. Information overload. Not enough sleep/not enough good quality sleep. Stress. For example, when I'm stressed, I wear an extra set of car and home keys around my neck on a lanyard because I will inevitably lock my keys in my car. :-)

As many others have said (or I gather many have said -- I've just glanced through the posts), exercise is great. 20 minutes in the morning and the same in the early evening should do wonders for your brain, mood, sleep and general physical well being. Puzzles, etc., good too (altho' the latest research says that they don't help much). Learning a new language, learning math (like algebra), learning a musical instrument. All good.

I also take KAL's GABA 25 mg and Solgar's L-Arginine 500 mg every other day. I really didn't expect it to work, so I've been really surprised that it has made such a positive difference for me. It hasn't turned me into Mensa material, bit it's really helped.

I started researching supplements about 35 years ago, when I accidentally overdosed (over a period of time) on Selenium -- the consequences were not pleasant, to say the least -- so I have a lot of respect for supplements (vitamins, minerals, herbs), so I do a lot of research before I take any supplement whatsoever.

With that said, no matter what you decide to take, make sure you use a reputable manufacturer. And make sure that you don't overdose on anything (except Vit C). Just because a little of something is good, that doesn't mean that a lot is better. For instance, I use KAL's GABA because it's only 25 mg. Other manufacturers have their doses set at anywhere between 500 mg and 1500 mg a day. That is WAY too much. Just because something is natural, that doesn't mean that an overload is harmless.

Oh, one last thing: have a lab test for Vit B12 and Vit D (Medicare covers it). If we're deficient in B12 and Vit D (and a lot of us are), then nothing else will help until our levels are brought up to normal. My neighbor's mother went into assisted living due to dementia. Took me months to get the family to test her for B12 and D. She was VERY deficient. Six weeks after the MD started her on B12 injections and D megadose (don't do this by yourself), she went home, because her mind was just fine again.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:55 AM

57 posts, read 12,777 times
Regular, vigorous sex. Try it.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 AM

1,243 posts, read 493,607 times
I take Gingko Biloba every day.

Can't tell, but I'll continue.

Take B-Complex every day.

Also, I study a foreign language daily and excersize 4-5 times per week.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 AM

326 posts, read 208,573 times
I make myself do everyday mental things that are mildly difficult. If you're making change or balancing your check book, do the arithmetic in your head, and only check yourself with paper or a calculator (if necessary) after. If you are trying to think of a word or a name, and it won't come to you, don't quit trying and look it up unless it's urgent or timely. Keep scouring your brain, or walk away and see if it comes to you later.

With our brains, as with our bodies, what isn't used tends towards loss.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:51 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,769,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Oh, one last thing: have a lab test for Vit B12 and Vit D (Medicare covers it). If we're deficient in B12 and Vit D (and a lot of us are), then nothing else will help until our levels are brought up to normal. My neighbor's mother went into assisted living due to dementia. Took me months to get the family to test her for B12 and D. She was VERY deficient. Six weeks after the MD started her on B12 injections and D megadose (don't do this by yourself), she went home, because her mind was just fine again.
Your whole post, like the others, was very helpful, so thanks. But it's interesting you mentioned B12 and Vit D. I do have a history of low Vit D. I'm normal for B12, but near the low end of the normal range. I'm supposed to take D supplements, so I do, but I'm not good at taking them daily. I need to step up my game on that.

Thanks. I didn't know Vit D deficiency was related to memory.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Your whole post, like the others, was very helpful, so thanks. But it's interesting you mentioned B12 and Vit D. I do have a history of low Vit D. I'm normal for B12, but near the low end of the normal range. I'm supposed to take D supplements, so I do, but I'm not good at taking them daily. I need to step up my game on that.

Thanks. I didn't know Vit D deficiency was related to memory.
Oh, you're most welcome.

Our bodies are not separate, individualized compartments. EVERY part is related to every other part. There's a strong current theory (which will probably change tomorrow! LOL) that our brain health is also connected to the health of our 'gut'. So lately I've been eating raw, unpasteurized kimchi and plain unflavored good-quality yogurt, which is certainly doing wonders for my tummy and intestines, but I'm not so sure what it's doing to my brain. LOL

I do whatever I can (and what I at least somewhat enjoy) to keep myself healthy. Exercise 5-6 days a week. I've re-enrolled in college again, for this fall -- just taking one class. I know I feel better after I've had breakfast or lunch with 'the girls', even if they drive me a bit bonkers. LOL I'm re-learning Algebra 101 with the help of a neighbor who is a retired university math professor. I've even recently gone back to church, which is a mixed bag for me, but, overall, has a profoundly good effect on me emotionally and physically. I take a high-quality multi-vit and min, along with extra D, B12 and a lot of Vit C. (BTW, Vit B12 is absorbed much better by our bodies if we take it with a good amount of C with it -- and vice versa, of course.) The GABA and the other thing with it.

And yet I do realize that, no matter what I do, I may get some form of dementia in the future. Oh well. I used to be literally panicked every single day about the possibility of Azheimer's/other forms of dementia. And then one day I realized that it was stupid and useless to worry every single day for the rest of my life over something I didn't have a tremendous amount of control over. I'd still rather be dead than have dementia. But I really don't even think about it every single day anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement