Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:00 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times

Advertisements

As both my parents ended up with vascular dementia it is something I have discussed with my doctors. They recommend anything that basically is good for your heart and circulation. As stated above, exercise, healthy diet, maintaining a decent weight. Learning a foreign language is supposed to be good and it is something that I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:20 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,611,846 times
OP besides all the games and exercises repeated here if you think you have a serious memory problem you should see a neurologist for evaluation and testing. Then they can set a program for you and/or prescribe medicines that will help.
My wife having problems saw a neurologist, they did an MRI of the brain and found some small lesions creating cognitive issues. They have her doing circulatory exercises along with prescription drugs to help with the issues.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
English is my first language, but I learned Spanish fluently in my youth. Spanish has been my daily "second language" since then. When I was 19, serving in the US Army, I was stationed in Germany for nearly 4 years (mid 1970s). I took intensive German language classes, and learned German quite well. I didn't speak German very often from the late 1970s up until my retirement 18 months ago, so I forgot some.

After retirement, I started studying German again with my old text book, reading and listening to news, and now reading many books. Amazon Kindle E-books are great, because you can load a dictionary app, and instantly look up a word translation as you are reading a book in another language.

I spent last summer in Germany, and my language skills returned almost to where they were in the 1970s. It is amazing how the brain works, to bring back memories of vocabulary and grammar. German has complex grammar and is much tougher than many other languages, so it is really a brain challenge.

I am back in Germany now and will probably stay beyond the summer season. I took a 2 month intensive grammar class (15 hours per week) in May & June to sharpen my skills.

Learning additional languages is a great brain exerciser. It is amazing how when I switch from English to Spanish or German, how the brain switches off from one language and starts thinking in the other language. I occasionally use a dictionary app on my smartphone if I need to find a key word.

Anyone else who speaks more than one language find that it helps with brain stimulation and function?

Old 07-04-2019, 03:52 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Memorize the alphabetical list of the 50 states. When you've got that, do the counties in your state. Then another state.

i learned to rattle off the states in 60 seconds when I was in high school. After having a stroke, I use it as a daily test for memory loss. The first few weeks, I had a hard time pronouncing Alabama, but now on most days, I can do the list in a minute.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:27 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I dunno, I hear stuff like this and it is kind of sad. This is aging and we are all going through it. Classes, pills, games, whatever are not going to stop something that happens to all living things. Perhaps we need to just have fun and stop worrying about it.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Admittedly, I have always regarded all vitamin-supplement claims as a modern-day form of snake oil. (I am NOT talking about situations where blood testing has shown a person to be deficient in something, in which case supplementary vitamin therapy under a doctor's supervision IS appropriate.)

Whenever I become irked at the age-related limitations I now have, I remind myself of something my podiatrist is fond of saying regarding issues like this: "It's the price of admission."

Old 07-04-2019, 07:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I eat a lot of fish unless I’m in Maine, then it’s all lobster. Loads of Omega-3, maybe good for the brain, maybe not, but they help me lose weight. While I’m at it, lots of canned sardines too.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 AM

143 posts, read 150,475 times
There are new study's that say dementia or Alzheimers may be T3 diabetes so I would say go keto or lowcarb. I did and am no longer prediabetic. My husband also. So at the top of the list may be diet.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
There are new study's that say dementia or Alzheimers may be T3 diabetes so I would say go keto or lowcarb. I did and am no longer prediabetic. My husband also. So at the top of the list may be diet.
That’s been out there for a while. We’re low carb most of the time except when we travel. We don’t even have diabetes. That’s just our food preferences. And no alcohol in general.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:19 AM

178 posts, read 124,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Scrabble.

Except you need a friend to play with
I’d be happy to play Words with Friends with you.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:28 AM

178 posts, read 124,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
English is my first language, but I learned Spanish fluently in my youth. Spanish has been my daily "second language" since then. When I was 19, serving in the US Army, I was stationed in Germany for nearly 4 years (mid 1970s). I took intensive German language classes, and learned German quite well. I didn't speak German very often from the late 1970s up until my retirement 18 months ago, so I forgot some.

After retirement, I started studying German again with my old text book, reading and listening to news, and now reading many books. Amazon Kindle E-books are great, because you can load a dictionary app, and instantly look up a word translation as you are reading a book in another language.

I spent last summer in Germany, and my language skills returned almost to where they were in the 1970s. It is amazing how the brain works, to bring back memories of vocabulary and grammar. German has complex grammar and is much tougher than many other languages, so it is really a brain challenge.

I am back in Germany now and will probably stay beyond the summer season. I took a 2 month intensive grammar class (15 hours per week) in May & June to sharpen my skills.

Learning additional languages is a great brain exerciser. It is amazing how when I switch from English to Spanish or German, how the brain switches off from one language and starts thinking in the other language. I occasionally use a dictionary app on my smartphone if I need to find a key word.

Anyone else who speaks more than one language find that it helps with brain stimulation and function?
I lived in Germany 7 years in my 20s, and spoke it quite well when I moved back to the States. Unfortunately I let it rust, but I’m actively returning to it again. I attend a Stammtisch, play games in German, watch German tv, etc. I even play Words with Friends in German, albeit not very well.

As to whether it helps - not sure it’s helping with memory, but think it helps with mental health, having a goal and a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement