U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,680,291 times

Advertisements

Urban Dictionary. Ho-kay.

I'm out.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:49 PM

255 posts, read 67,465 times
Become a broken record like previously explained but refuse to answer any probing questions. It is rude to call a addict a junkie. These are human beings and often family.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:52 PM

482 posts, read 204,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
No need to insult someone you do not know.

It's a lot safer to insult those people than somebody who might show up on your doorstep.
Seriously, helping out drug addicts -- especially heroin addicts, but even alcoholics qualify -- is just maintaining their addiction. Your money will be going to the drug supplier. I think we all have a responsibility not to do that.
I have seen far too many druggies since the old hippie days in California, and they are real good at making up stories. You know the subject, I don't. But just in general, the best and ONLY way to help a drug addict is to get him or her into a treatment facility.
An acquaintance in Detroit had a niece who was an alcoholic. He let her stay in his house for a week and she sold all his furniture and clothing.
If somebody really is dying, I don't want them to do it on my living room couch. Or to pay for the hospital bills myself.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:04 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
The definition of junkie according to Urban Dictionary.

A person who is consumed by an addiction. Aspects of their life suffer as he/she satisifies the addiction.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:06 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
It's a lot safer to insult those people than somebody who might show up on your doorstep.
Seriously, helping out drug addicts -- especially heroin addicts, but even alcoholics qualify -- is just maintaining their addiction. Your money will be going to the drug supplier. I think we all have a responsibility not to do that.
I have seen far too many druggies since the old hippie days in California, and they are real good at making up stories. You know the subject, I don't. But just in general, the best and ONLY way to help a drug addict is to get him or her into a treatment facility.
An acquaintance in Detroit had a niece who was an alcoholic. He let her stay in his house for a week and she sold all his furniture and clothing.
If somebody really is dying, I don't want them to do it on my living room couch. Or to pay for the hospital bills myself.
yea - a junkie i sort of know took her grandfather to his heart surgery appointment

They gave her his wallet and other vaulables to hold.

As soon as he was wheeled away. She took off. Used his debit card, cleared his account and just left him there - never came back. Hospital had to search around for other relatives to come get him.

But he loves her.....

Old 07-04-2019, 04:07 PM

4,812 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The definition of junkie according to Urban Dictionary.

A person who is consumed by an addiction. Aspects of their life suffer as he/she satisifies the addiction.
The common usage, as was indicated in the many different explanations, is of someone addicted to heroin or other opiates - "junk" = heroin . . .

Anyway, the bottom line is that it is rude to refer to a human being with mental health/addiction issues as a "junkie."

I hope I remember that about you, because it is unkind and demoralizing.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yea - a junkie i sort of know took her grandfather to his heart surgery appointment

They gave her his wallet and other vaulables to hold.

As soon as he was wheeled away. She took off. Used his debit card, cleared his account and just left him there - never came back. Hospital had to search around for other relatives to come get him.

But he loves her.....
This OP is about old women being recruited as caregivers.

Why don't you start your own thread on your personal opinions and random anecdotes of various people with addictions.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 07-04-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Trust me when I tell you I know more than the common person about addictions. More than I would ever want to know. I am very familiar with rehab experiences, as well. There are no guarantees. Success rates are low.

I am not "helping out drug addicts."

It's weird how things get so twisted . . . people take one idea and then go off on weird tangents.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Become a broken record like previously explained but refuse to answer any probing questions. It is rude to call a addict a junkie. These are human beings and often family.
Yes - the broken record method is a good one. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:23 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes - it escalated yesterday - the person was hysterical - and I am never prepared.

The first thread was "How to Say 'No"" - but this one is specific to the issue of old women being expected to caregive . . . there is an expectation that if you are female you MUST open your doors to whomever needs care in your family, regardless of why they got into whatever dire condition they are in!

AND . . . I am a senior . . . there are issues related to my age - I don't have the stamina I once had - there are also laws that protect seniors ("Elder Abuse" - don't know if they apply if someone just keeps badgering you and showing up in crisis . . .) - I think it is probably a very important, silent issue that many old women might be facing.

I know I belong to a FB group for people dealing with family members with substance abuse problems, and 99% of them are mothers and grandmothers - no dads or grandpas in sight.

So it's a female issue, and in many cases, an elder issue.

Just wanted to introduce that aspect.

Edited to add: It is very rude to call people "junkies," and in this case, that specific term does not apply.
WAIT WAIT WAIT. Your other thread was about a YOUNG relative with drug issues? Geesh. Watch a few episodes of the show "Intervention. " You'll see how to deal with people with drug problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or