U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 PM

13,232 posts, read 6,335,450 times

Advertisements

Because of this thread, my husband and I will buy a new car on one of his big birthday, some of the new features may come useful in old age. Plus we maybe done with big and long travel when he turns 70 anyway. So the savings will go into a brand new car. Plus the car won’t die if I don’t travel, unlike the past, two car batteries died after 4 months overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 04:55 PM

243 posts, read 119,864 times
This issue is on my mind as well. My husband's car (2007 BMW with 80k miles) stopped running. It had transmission problems plus other issues, and we consciously made the choice not to repair it. BMWs are expensive to maintain.

At the same time he became sick and was hospitalized. So we are down to one car. We are trying it out, but we may buy a second, newer car. The car we still have is a 2006 Toyota Corolla with 120k miles. He's not driving right now. In fact, he is only leaving the house to go to doctors' appointments that I drive him to.

We will have to buy a newer car at some point. I just don't know how to decide when. There is nothing wrong with this one. It hasn't been high maintenance at all. Pretty much all that has been done to it are tires and brakes. The computer went out, but that was under warranty. I think either the starter or alternator went out; I don't remember which. But that is it.

I love my Corolla.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,138,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am posting in the retirement forum because I think people here would understand some of the things I am contemplating. DH (76) and I (72) own two cars. The newest is a 10 year old Lexus and the oldest is a 17 year old Accord. The Accord has a little over 100,000 miles on it. The Lexus has more. Both cars have been conscientiously maintained by DH, who really does take care of our cars. I drive the Accord around town, and DH drives the Lexus wherever we go together, including some travel.

I am a little concerned about taking two older cars into our elderly years. I am concerned that at some point we will need to buy a newer car, even though our oldest car has relatively few miles on it. I also would like to have some of the newer safety features, but that is not a huge want for me.

I don't want advice so much, as a way to think about this. I don't feel confident in my thinking. If there is no need to buy a car--probably a late model used car--then I don't want to spend the money. I wonder if we should replace the Lexus, instead of the Accord, but I suspect we should replace, if we replace, the older car. I know that mileage is usually the measure of the age of the car. So, should I simply not worry about this?

I guess what I worry about is learning a new car at an advanced age. New cars have safety systems and alarms. I think I could be OK now, but in 5 years? Who knows?

You can see that I am all over the place on this. Can you help me think this through?

I suspect that DH would buy a new car if I was enthusiastic. But I hate spending the money if we don't have to.

The Accord drives fine. It has been recently serviced, and it has good tires. It has minor body damage and some damage on the wheels.
I don't know how I could give advice, but, seems like you ought to just keep them. Don't worry just drive them when you need them.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 AM

985 posts, read 219,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My van has over 260K miles on it, and someone I know has a Toyota with over 500,000 miles on it. Mileage by itself is no longer the deciding issue it once was. I set a dollar amount per year on repairs to the van. Any left over from the previous single year gets added to that. If the repair costs in a year top that aggregate, I'll be looking for new wheels.

One aspect of driving that some people miss is that it takes time to "know" exactly how a vehicle drives and what it is capable of. One you reach that understanding your driving is safer. Knowing what mine does and just exactly how it tracks saved me from a couple of multiple car pileups. If your cars are in good condition and have been properly maintained, you might consider keeping them longer.
I was curious to know what your dollar limits were annually. I like this plan.

As for OP, if the cars are operating fine and you have no great internal desire to have a new car w/ all the bells and whistles/safety options keep your cars, maintain them as you have and make sure you have good roadside assistance (like AAA) for piece of mind.

Having two cars if you're not driving a ton could be whittled down to one. Less worries, less maintenance, less insurance, more garage space. But if you're both still actively going places separately, having two cars is convenient, isn't it?

I live in a retirement community with a lot of older (80+) drivers and have seen a lot of fender benders due to poor eyesight (depth perception)/hearing. Mostly parking lot mishaps where the person didn't even realize he backed into another car (obliviously drove off). Point is, I'd hate to have a sparkling new $40k+ car in this setting. I'd rather have a reliable, older car and wouldn't feel as bad if someone damaged it accidentally. Having a older car bumped into/scratched is easier for me to take than a new one. In my area of FL, best to have something a little beat up.

If you do go new, find something that you have no big blind spots, have no problems figuring out clearance, has you in a driver's position where everything is clear. So many times I see little old ladies/men driving where they barely can see over the steering wheel, you know they can't see behind them very well and no way in hell know where their front bumper/fenders are. There are cars more suitable for older drivers - large SUVs, huge pick up trucks aren't very good for the older driver, imo.

Jan 2019 COnsumer Reports: Best Cars for Savvy Seniors
Smart choices based on the specific needs of older drivers
https://www.consumerreports.org/elde...savvy-seniors/

-

Last edited by TBMorgan; 07-10-2019 at 04:07 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 AM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
I am reading all the posts. I appreciate hearing others’ thoughts about this.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,181 times
We own outright two of the cars my family has. They started as leases but had so little mileage I bought them at lease end.

On one of them just necessary consumables (brakes, tires) came out to be a whopper. Why I’m a lease and return guy.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 PM

243 posts, read 119,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
We own outright two of the cars my family has. They started as leases but had so little mileage I bought them at lease end.

On one of them just necessary consumables (brakes, tires) came out to be a whopper. Why I’m a lease and return guy.
I am willing to bet that is something comparable to a BMW. What DH would spend on just tires made me cringe. And we had to buy them from the dealer. There was something about Costco run-flats that didn't allow us to buy there.

I apparently ruined a tire by not knowing it was going flat. Costco prorated it so $58 for the new tire. That would never happen at the BMW dealership.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I am willing to bet that is something comparable to a BMW. What DH would spend on just tires made me cringe. And we had to buy them from the dealer. There was something about Costco run-flats that didn't allow us to buy there.

I apparently ruined a tire by not knowing it was going flat. Costco prorated it so $58 for the new tire. That would never happen at the BMW dealership.
BMW free-everything-within-the-1st50k was good. Free-within-the-1st36k --- meh. But then when you factor in those run flats and the rims that get bent BECAUSE of the runflats, you're looking at a fortune every time you hit a pothole.

That and their recent policy of saying "F.U. to the loyal customers, we are nickel-and-diming for everything" pushed me elsewhere.

Old Today, 12:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,588 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I was curious to know what your dollar limits were annually. I like this plan.

-
I use $0.10 / mile as a basis for car expenses. Or $1,000 / yr if driving 10k miles / yr. Repairs, insurance, fuel.... I meter by this basic formula. My daily driver is actually delivering $0.04 / mile including the cost of the car. <$100.... Gets 52 miles per gallon as it has since 1976. I do keep AAA, but have only used it 15 yrs ago to tow a purchased car home. I rent if I am taking a road trip, but most often fly anyway. I would have no issue taking any of my beaters cross country, but I can often rent very cheap and enjoy a new car. $9.95 Enterprise is a favorite, as they will pick you up or deliver car to my rural homes. I have got $4.99 cars from hotwire. One out of Denver I put 3800 miles in 1 week. That is pretty normal,. This last month I have put 10k miles on 4 rental cars in different areas of USA. September and October are my favorite vacation months and each are booked (16 flights, 8 rental cars). Cars and transportation (and food) are real cheap for USA, I'm enjoying this temporary luxury. This too will change.

Old Today, 01:32 PM

8,974 posts, read 7,745,489 times
I have always bought new cars and kept them for 100K to 120K miles. I bought a new Ford Explorer (at age 75) in 2017. I only put about 8K mile in ot per year. I bought a Ford extended warranty for 8 years or 75K miles. I believe this might just be my last car......LOL

Back to the OP. Several good suggestions one being drive them until one dies, then decide. Also consider going to one car.

My suggestion for having two cars: I see the Honda not being worth much money so a trade in or a sale may not yield much. Even with high mileage, the Lexus will be worth more. Seems you trust the Lexus more so this is the car I would keep. Thus I suggest you keep the Lexus, get rid of the Honda, and buy a new car. Maybe something new from Toyota or Honda similar in size to the Lexus which you prefer. Also test drive an SUV from Toyota and Honda. One thing is being higher, they can be easier to get in and out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or