U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 PM

13,186 posts, read 6,301,958 times

Advertisements

I have the same worrries. I was thinking of selling my car to my daughter’s business for cheap and then get a new car soon, but not sure she wants an SUV. I want to get a new one before I won’t be able to learn how to operate a new modern car. But right now I’m staying put. The car is still very good, less than 80k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 07:41 PM

21,832 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I am in a similar position. I think about it almost daily. I use to rent a car when I was going on a significant drive but, to be honest, the last time I did this, I found it very confusing.

My age is an issue and also what seem like minor health issues to people who know me but make driving long distances uncomfortable, so its not like I'm going to suddenly start driving more than I do now.

My insurance would go up.

Would I enjoy spending the money elsewhere more? My very rural southern county has excellent transportation for those who need it and a young woman down the road from me can give me a ride if needed.

So you posted in the right place. I get it...... everything except why I started typing in italics
Gave me a chuckle. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,229,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
In the majority of cars you simply turn those features off. Ours has buttons at the lower left of the dash to do just that. Lane keep usually doesn't engage even if it's on until the car is going 45 or faster.
Granted, but I resent paying extra for features I'm just going to turn off.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:55 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Then you will die driving the cars you have now.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:58 PM

7,594 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Then you will die driving the cars you have now.
Well, hopefully not.

Though it's not wise to try to drive them both at the same time.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
yea and then you read about seniors not turning off their newer cars and dying from carbon monoxide poisoning cuz they left the car running in the garage!

Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 PM

1,627 posts, read 557,035 times
I kept my 2002 Lexus ES300 for fifteen years and 170K miles, always being conscientious about the scheduled service intervals and doing repairs as needed. But toward the end of year 14, the repairs became more and more expensive because the stuff that was failing was mostly big-ticket items.

Finally in January 2018 I was faced with a repair that would cost the same as the current market value of the car (it was the second such; I did do the previous repair) and said Okay, that's it. I loved that car but didn't want to throw good money after bad.

I intended to buy a new 2018 Accord hybrid but found that I didn't like it at all when I sat in/drove it. The dealership happened to have a brand new 2017 leftover Accord in the showroom that had everything I wanted (including a 6-cyl engine, the last chance for one of those!) at about $3K less than the new model (which I didn't really like) would have cost. I'm very happy with my new/leftover and intend to keep it for as long as I kept the Lexus. By that time I'll be in my mid 80s and we'll see what the driving situation is by that time, lol

Personally I would not buy a used car. I've always been of the mindset that it's "buying someone else's former problem." Plus I have severe cat and dog allergies and a normal detailing cannot remove pet dander from vehicle carpeting and upholstery and there's no way to know whether a former owner ever had a pet in the car.

I did own one used car in my life (my first; it belonged to a friend of my dad's so we knew it was pet-free) back in the 1960s but since then, I have always made sure to buy new. Yes one of them turned out to be a lemon (the 1967 Firebird) but that's just the luck of the draw with any new car. And I think, since Nader's 'lemon laws', that quality control is better nowadays than it used to be during the 1960s and 70s.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 07-04-2019 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 PM

6,540 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I traded a 14 year old Outback with 200k miles on it for a barely used 2018 Forrester with 11k miles. I could have kept the Outback for another year or two. My experience is that the new features were worth making the trade.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 PM

1,627 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, newer cars have safety systems but they also tend to have annoying "eco mode."

My 2017 Accord has an Eco Mode but it can be turned off. I keep it off for two reasons: (a) it negatively impacts the performance of the air conditioning and (b) it affects "pickup". The reason I like the 6 cyl engine is the pickup, so why would I turn on something that would depress that? LOL

I turn the Lane Keep Assist off for normal daily driving because the alerts are annoying. If I am doing a long drive (hours) on a freeway or parkway and there's any chance of feeling tired, I turn it on just as a precaution but that long-drive situation rarely arises anyway.

One of the things I really disliked about the 2018 Accord (2018 was a redesign year) was that stoplight/shutoff. I don't recall whether that could be disabled; didn't ask, because I knew within a few minutes in the car that I wouldn't be buying that model.

I know the 2018 one has the projected/heads-up display, which I also hated, but the salesman did say that could be turned off.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:05 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,170,610 times
My favorite feature on our new Forester is the adaptive cruise control. You can set it to stay a selected distance from the car in front of you. It also has automatic braking in case someone jumps in front of you and hits the brakes.

The one thing I didn’t like about the cruise control is when you are on a 4 lane highway in the right lane and there is only one car around, in front, if he gradually slows down you don’t always notice that you are slowing down as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or