U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:25 AM

3,718 posts, read 2,129,453 times

Advertisements

Both those cars are reliable and can go 300,000 miles. I don't see a need to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 07:31 AM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
But on the other hand, buying a car to equal the Lexus would be expensive.

We've driven a new Lexus. I posted about us not understanding that the gas cap no longer opened from the inside! How dumb we felt. DH liked the way it drove, but neither of us like the style of the newer Lexuses. Our old one drives well and is comfy.
I know exactly what you mean. I loved my 2002 ES300 but I think it was only a few years later that they restyled it to something I didn't care much for. However, the IS has always been too small and the RX too expensive, LOL. So I was looking for "2002 Lexus size, style and features" at a more affordable pricepoint. It was becoming an exercise in futility.

It sounds crazy but the 2017 Honda Accord Touring actually turned out to be almost exactly that. It's with 1" of having all the same dimensions as the Lexus (Honda is actually 1" longer I believe), has the 6-cyl engine, same cabin space and layout, slightly larger trunk, etc... it ticked off all the important "Lexus comps" except one: The Accord has low-profile tires, something I have never been crazy about. Yes I could change them out but that would significantly alter the way the car handles and the ride feel. But the tire thing is balanced out by the fact that the Accord runs on Regular gas whereas the Lexus needed 93 octane. During my final two years of ownership I fudged by getting mid-grade with the occasional booster tank of Premium, but the ability lto use Regular in the Honda is a big plus. Also, the Honda automatically switches to 4-cylinder mode at highway speed, so it gets about 35 mpg on highway whereas the best the Lexus ever did under those conditions was 25 mpg.

Also the Accord has several excellent safety features (such as the backup and side view cameras) that the Lexus didn't have. Love the keyless entry and remote start also, because the Honda must live in the driveway whereas the Lexus was garaged.

Ironically, I paid slightly less for the new 2017 Accord than I had done for the new 2002 Lexus...and IMHO I got as much, if not more, car for the same purchase money. That said, it being the Touring model has a lot to do with that.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 AM

1,644 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Your call... sounds like you want a new(er) car. some people are that way, that is fine.

I dislike plastic, and I prefer 'sustainable' solutions (why waste the resources if my current car is ok?)
I drive a 43yo car that should last me another 40 yrs. (I still gets 50 mpg, as it did the day it was new)
I often haul my neighbors back and forth the the dealer to get their new cars repaired. Mine has never darkened the door of a fix-it shop.

YMMV

I can always rent if I want a NEW car for some reason. (rented (6) last month while traveling... stopping every 400 miles for fuel is pretty ridiculous. Mine goes 1250 miles between fills)

My 'aunt' got frightened into buying a new car (safety features / driving aids). She REALLY dislikes the new car and tried to get her old car back. but... it was sold before it hit the resale lot. (Probably to an employee)
I seriously doubt you have a 1976 car that gets 50mpg and has a 25 gallon gas tank. The cars that come closest to that were base models with few safety devices, and were uncomfortable as heck.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 352,552 times
I keep vehicles for long time.

However, looking into retirement one may look into leasing a car. If you just travel locally, keep it under 10k miles a year and can put down the first lease payment of $3,000 to $5,000 a lease may work. Get lease gap insurance from your insurance agent to protect against fast depreciation should the car get damaged.

I have always bought new and made the payments over 4-5 years and kept the cars until they fell apart.

The new safety features are great but there is always the next best thing on the model after the one you got.

Good luck

Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,533,474 times
People rush out to spend $35,000 for a new car to avoid having to spend $500 once in awhile on a old car.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 352,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I loved my 2002 ES300 but I think it was only a few years later that they restyled it to something I didn't care much for. However, the IS has always been too small and the RX too expensive, LOL. So I was looking for "2002 Lexus size, style and features" at a more affordable pricepoint. It was becoming an exercise in futility.

It sounds crazy but the 2017 Honda Accord Touring actually turned out to be almost exactly that. It's with 1" of having all the same dimensions as the Lexus (Honda is actually 1" longer I believe), has the 6-cyl engine, same cabin space and layout, slightly larger trunk, etc... it ticked off all the important "Lexus comps" except one: The Accord has low-profile tires, something I have never been crazy about. Yes I could change them out but that would significantly alter the way the car handles and the ride feel. But the tire thing is balanced out by the fact that the Accord runs on Regular gas whereas the Lexus needed 93 octane. During my final two years of ownership I fudged by getting mid-grade with the occasional booster tank of Premium, but the ability lto use Regular in the Honda is a big plus. Also, the Honda automatically switches to 4-cylinder mode at highway speed, so it gets about 35 mpg on highway whereas the best the Lexus ever did under those conditions was 25 mpg.

Also the Accord has several excellent safety features (such as the backup and side view cameras) that the Lexus didn't have. Love the keyless entry and remote start also, because the Honda must live in the driveway whereas the Lexus was garaged.

Ironically, I paid slightly less for the new 2017 Accord than I had done for the new 2002 Lexus...and IMHO I got as much, if not more, car for the same purchase money. That said, it being the Touring model has a lot to do with that.
I have owned Hondas from back in the day when people asked, “what’s a Honda?”

I had Civics and moved up to CRV’s.

I may consider a Honda Passport. I liked the Pilot when it came out but never pulled the trigger. I may wait a few model years to ensure the bugs on a new model Passport are discovered and fixed.

I would consider buying it from Costco to avoid the dealer BS.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 AM

1,762 posts, read 561,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My van has over 260K miles on it, and someone I know has a Toyota with over 500,000 miles on it. Mileage by itself is no longer the deciding issue it once was. I set a dollar amount per year on repairs to the van. Any left over from the previous single year gets added to that. If the repair costs in a year top that aggregate, I'll be looking for new wheels.

One aspect of driving that some people miss is that it takes time to "know" exactly how a vehicle drives and what it is capable of. One you reach that understanding your driving is safer. Knowing what mine does and just exactly how it tracks saved me from a couple of multiple car pileups. If your cars are in good condition and have been properly maintained, you might consider keeping them longer.
X2.

I don’t think the old “100,000 therefore time to get a new car” thinking applies that much any more. A local Honda shop had a wall of customer’s cars with a photo showing the 100,000 mile club they were in. They had 100s of photos in each section (100K, 200K, 300k) and a couple that we’re 400K+. If I were OP, I’d probably just run them until they drop and then, if you still needed a car you could just lease something for a bit or buy something used.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 AM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
People rush out to spend $35,000 for a new car to avoid having to spend $500 once in awhile on a old car.
I feel the same way but one must also consider the possibility of breaking down somewhere perhaps not very close to home. That can be a nightmare for a senior even with AAA.
That said, I have a 9 year old car with 54,000 miles. I do everything required to keep it running in as good condition as possible. I have no intention of ever buying another new car. If it breaks, I fix it. My AAA covers towing as far away as 300 miles. I don't plan on driving for the rest of my life anyway.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,121 times
If you think you will need two cars in your older years, then keep the best one you have and do the research to buy another now. We have saved a ton of money by downsizing to one car - registration, insurance, maintenance. Occasionally, there is a conflict where we both need a car but not often enough to justify the added expense. That being said, we plan to get a different type of vehicle once I save up to pay cash for it. Currently, our 2011 Honda-CRV has only 35K miles so it has a ways to go

Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,663,961 times
I’m still driving my 11 year old Prius, it’s been a dependable car. I’ll replace it when I need to. It came with music/nav/phone controls on the steering wheel and a rear view camera even back then. DH’s cars have had the new safety features and while some of them are nice, they haven’t motivated me to trade my car to get them.

DH has had a company car for >30 years, getting a new one at 4 years or 70,000 miles, whichever came first. Fleet pays insurance/registration and he has a gas card that gets billed to his company. That is one major perk he is going to miss when he retires next spring. What it has allowed us to save over the years is huge. He definitely knows what he likes and dislikes in a car now. After having so many different brands over the years and renting cars when he has to fly, which is often, he knows what he needs in a car.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-05-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or