U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 12:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,094,492 times

Advertisements

I drive cars until they fall apart and can no longer be fixed, so that's my reply. Worry about it when you need to worry about it. It may not even happen....I'm pretty sure my Honda will outlive me, that's one good thing about being old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM

21,833 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, it's not always the just a matter of having to spend a few hundred dollars now and then for unscheduled repairs, but a question of how inconvenient those unscheduled repairs might be, especially if someone is far from home when they happen.

If the OP doesn't venture very far from home in their cars, then probably I would say hang on to them a while longer, even though both are 10+ years old with 100K+ miles on them. At least if one goes down for repairs, they have a second car for a backup. If they could get by with just one car, then I would say sell both, and get a new (or newer with low miles) car.
This sounds sensible to me. I donít know how hard adjusting to one car would be! But this might be a good longer term plan.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:58 PM

1,644 posts, read 774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Iím still driving my 11 year old Prius, itís been a dependable car. Iíll replace it when I need to. It came with music/nav/phone controls on the steering wheel and a rear view camera even back then. DHís cars have had the new safety features and while some of them are nice, they havenít motivated me to trade my car to get them..
Are you saving up for battery replacement? That's a significant expense, but worth it if the rest of the car is in good shape.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Status: "Can't We All Get Along? (Apparently Not)" (set 3 days ago)

481 posts, read 104,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have an older car - 12 years - only 62K miles.

But if i have to take a long trip, I rent a car.

Its fun to drive something newer and you can experiment with the new technology.
I like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Hondas can go to 300K.
Dave Ramsey says "the cheapest car to own is the one you have now"
Don't fall into that new car trap. You have good used cars. And you know their history.
And this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is why we got rid of the second car. Uber is cheaper overall.
Not this

Old 07-05-2019, 03:46 PM

13,189 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Why not. We rarely use Uber, but we use it as a back up. Like I don’t need my husband to pick me up after I drop the car at a tire shop, I call Uber. How often do I change tires, once every two-three years to get 4 brand new tires. So it depends on the specific situation.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:20 PM

14,215 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am posting in the retirement forum because I think people here would understand some of the things I am contemplating. DH (76) and I (72) own two cars. The newest is a 10 year old Lexus and the oldest is a 17 year old Accord. The Accord has a little over 100,000 miles on it. The Lexus has more. Both cars have been conscientiously maintained by DH, who really does take care of our cars. I drive the Accord around town, and DH drives the Lexus wherever we go together, including some travel.

I am a little concerned about taking two older cars into our elderly years. I am concerned that at some point we will need to buy a newer car, even though our oldest car has relatively few miles on it. I also would like to have some of the newer safety features, but that is not a huge want for me.

I don't want advice so much, as a way to think about this. I don't feel confident in my thinking. If there is no need to buy a car--probably a late model used car--then I don't want to spend the money. I wonder if we should replace the Lexus, instead of the Accord, but I suspect we should replace, if we replace, the older car. I know that mileage is usually the measure of the age of the car. So, should I simply not worry about this?

I guess what I worry about is learning a new car at an advanced age. New cars have safety systems and alarms. I think I could be OK now, but in 5 years? Who knows?

You can see that I am all over the place on this. Can you help me think this through?

I suspect that DH would buy a new car if I was enthusiastic. But I hate spending the money if we don't have to.

The Accord drives fine. It has been recently serviced, and it has good tires. It has minor body damage and some damage on the wheels.

Those aren't old cars - my 82 Scirocco, my 75 F-350 - THOSE are old. Being in non-rusting country, you can drive these cars another couple of decades if you want. If something happens to one of them, buying new is hardly your only viable option. Just keep up on maintenance,

Full disclosure - I hate new cars, I hate about everything made in the last decade or so. Complicated, ugly, and expensive, I don't need them. And I do most all of my own car maintenance/repair.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:40 PM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm not retired yet. My plan is to buy a brand new, little compact car when I first retire. Hyundai & Kia have a 10 year warranty. That will take me well into my 70s worry free.

and then you will be where we are now

Old 07-06-2019, 03:09 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am posting in the retirement forum because I think people here would understand some of the things I am contemplating. DH (76) and I (72) own two cars. The newest is a 10 year old Lexus and the oldest is a 17 year old Accord. The Accord has a little over 100,000 miles on it. The Lexus has more. Both cars have been conscientiously maintained by DH, who really does take care of our cars. I drive the Accord around town, and DH drives the Lexus wherever we go together, including some travel.

I am a little concerned about taking two older cars into our elderly years. I am concerned that at some point we will need to buy a newer car, even though our oldest car has relatively few miles on it. I also would like to have some of the newer safety features, but that is not a huge want for me.

You want opinions. Here is my take.

You really do not need a new vehicle. I know dozens of people who are driving older Lexuses for 15-20 years. My only concern about that vehicle - no matter which model - is whether you want to spend the costs of maintaining the vehicle as it is not an inexpensive car to maintain.

I always rent vehicles for long trips as my daily ride is pushing 150k and I do not want to get stranded out on the road waiting for AAA. My major concern with this strategy is in the last couple of model years, the amount of technology on the rental cars has grown exponentially. Last month, we had to stop our rental Mazda for about 15 minutes and pull out the owners manual just to figure out the radio and climate controls as they were counterintuitive.

And since you brought up body damage, where did that come from? I have a lot of senior neighbors and when I start to notice what I refer to as "road rash" on their vehicles, I start to ask them whether they still have the ability to drive safely. One neighbor had no less than 10 different dents on his vehicle so many of the neighbors ended up calling up his children to let them know about it. I am not generally one to butt in but when I see a 90+ year old trying to park in a space at the local Safeway and after FOUR ATTEMPTS to park her car in a spot ends up parking in the middle of two spots, I have to question as to whether she should be on the road.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:17 AM

2,384 posts, read 907,342 times
All depends on the maintenance. If you keep up with it, it'll keep going forever. Depends how much cash you wanna sink into it to keep it on the road. My work horse has 294K on it. And I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country if I had to.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:55 AM

4 posts, read 1,101 times
Keep them. Rent a car for long trips if needed to ease concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or