U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 AM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You want opinions. Here is my take.

You really do not need a new vehicle. I know dozens of people who are driving older Lexuses for 15-20 years. My only concern about that vehicle - no matter which model - is whether you want to spend the costs of maintaining the vehicle as it is not an inexpensive car to maintain.

I always rent vehicles for long trips as my daily ride is pushing 150k and I do not want to get stranded out on the road waiting for AAA. My major concern with this strategy is in the last couple of model years, the amount of technology on the rental cars has grown exponentially. Last month, we had to stop our rental Mazda for about 15 minutes and pull out the owners manual just to figure out the radio and climate controls as they were counterintuitive.

And since you brought up body damage, where did that come from? I have a lot of senior neighbors and when I start to notice what I refer to as "road rash" on their vehicles, I start to ask them whether they still have the ability to drive safely. One neighbor had no less than 10 different dents on his vehicle so many of the neighbors ended up calling up his children to let them know about it. I am not generally one to butt in but when I see a 90+ year old trying to park in a space at the local Safeway and after FOUR ATTEMPTS to park her car in a spot ends up parking in the middle of two spots, I have to question as to whether she should be on the road.
Frankly the small amount of damage is due to my carelessness years agoówhen I was younger. No new damage in over a decade. And I am 72, not 92.

But yes, we saw what you describe on my very elderly motherís car, as she drove around her small town.

So far, my corrected vision and my reflexes are still good. I ace peripheral vision field tests every year. And I am a careful driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:06 AM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
I think renting a vehicle for long trips is a basically a good idea, but we bought our Lexus RX as a touring car, and car trips in it are enjoyable. It is well maintained, at considerable cost. It makes no sense to rent a car for trips at this point.

As many of you know, traveling in an Accord is akin to sitting on the road. That was a big motivator in choosing the Lexus.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 AM

1,632 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As many of you know, traveling in an Accord is akin to sitting on the road. That was a big motivator in choosing the Lexus.
LOL, I can't argue with you there. My 2002 ES had a great ride, and if I had to choose the biggest discrepancy between that and the 2017 Accord Touring, the ride would be it -- but I have been assuming that's due in large part to the difference in the wheels and tires.

The ES had 16" wheels with standard tires. The Accord has 19" wheels with low profile tires. Those are two entirely different breeds of cat, so to speak, so I didn't expect the ride to be anywhere close. But for a $10K+ difference in price I will put up with a few extra bumps, LOL

Also, because of back problems I have to use a thick gel-structure coccyx cushion so I'm sure I am not feeling quite as much of the "Accord ride downside" as I would if I didn't have that in place. I had to use it for most of the years that I had the Lexus too, despite the better ride. A coccyx cushion and good lumbar support are musts for me regardless of the vehicle.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:36 AM

1,023 posts, read 352,552 times
I gave up in sedans. Now it is smaller to mid size SUVís. Had to give my daughter the Suburban as my needs changed but she loves it!

Old 07-06-2019, 10:45 AM

1,427 posts, read 2,568,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Personally, I hate all the new technology they're putting in cars these days. The day I need a car to keep me in my lane or stop for me I'll turn in my keys. As for me, I drive a 2012 Lexus LS460 and a 2005 Porsche. They're both well maintained, but simply due to their age they're not worth bupkis. To replace them with new versions would cost me a small fortune. And I'm cheap.
Same. Well, a notch or so more downmarket, but same. 2011 VW Touareg and 2004 VW Beetle convertible. Iíve had the itch lately for something newer to replace the Touareg (probably a Lexus RX350) but I canít bring myself to shell out the money. Yes the Touareg has been hit twice, and the clear coat on the hood is starting to go, but it still runs great and the interior is almost perfect at 136K. Objectively itís not worth much, but subjectively itís worth at least $35K, which is the minimum it would take to replace it with even a 3-year-old RX350.

I donít have the aversion to newfangledness that you have, but I am equally cheap. Iím telling myself to wait until 2022 when the new VW microbus comes out. . .

Old 07-06-2019, 11:00 AM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think renting a vehicle for long trips is a basically a good idea, but we bought our Lexus RX as a touring car, and car trips in it are enjoyable. It is well maintained, at considerable cost. It makes no sense to rent a car for trips at this point.

I can’t argue with you there. My husband thought our SUG was big, he thought about downsizing it to a medium SUV. Well this trip we rented a small SUV and on the last day, somehow he hurt his back. It took about 3 days home and a lot of tiger Baum to get rid of the ache and pain. He now appreciate our car. It’s a limo, and I drive slow too. He also laughed at the idea of getting a sport car now, one of those that he dreamed about when he was younger.
I think just keep the old cars until there’s a problem. Don’t think ahead.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
I gave up in sedans. Now it is smaller to mid size SUVís.
My son and DIL have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and 2017 Chevy Equinox, and I have had occasion to drive both once or twice. I guess those would be considered small-to-midsize SUVs?

I found both to be less easy to get in and out of because of the added height. I definitely wouldn't want to be doing that on a daily basis. I need to swing sideways out of the car's seat and have at least one foot immediately on the ground and I couldn't do that in their cars.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:44 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
My son and DIL have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and 2017 Chevy Equinox, and I have had occasion to drive both once or twice. I guess those would be considered small-to-midsize SUVs?

I found both to be less easy to get in and out of because of the added height. I definitely wouldn't want to be doing that on a daily basis. I need to swing sideways out of the car's seat and have at least one foot immediately on the ground and I couldn't do that in their cars.
I'm the opposite. Getting in and out of our Sorento is easy. Getting up-and-out of the Clarity is difficult. It's also difficult to get down-and-in the Clarity.

I added side step bars to the Sorento so shorter people have a step to use. Still difficult for some.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 PM

1,427 posts, read 2,568,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
. . . It's also difficult to get down-and-in the Clarity. . .
Years ago I had a friend who drove dealer demos. Heíd just picked up the then-new Chrysler Crossfire. He described his method of getting in the little 2-seater as ďa controlled fall.Ē

Old 07-06-2019, 10:50 PM

441 posts, read 177,167 times
As long as you can still get parts, if needed, for the older cars, I'd hang onto them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or