U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

7,166 posts, read 8,620,829 times

Advertisements

Reading this thread it occurs to me I might like a more nomadic lifestyle, living in 2 or 3 different places throughout the year, depending on weather. But not owning homes in each place as that gets too costly, more like 1 home base and then spending a 2 or 3 months in other places, renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 2,335 times
First, let me thank all those who are posting.

Second, let me answer some questions:

1. I am currently in Alabama. My adult son will be going with us to wherever we land. I have a daughter in Nashville, whom I would like to remain within visiting distance, but....
2. I don't care much for the South. Too much heat and humidity. And a bit sedentary. Lots of golf available but I am more into cycling and other active pursuits. Yes I put Knoxville on my list...but have visited twice and not feeling it. Have lived all over the country. Much prefer the west, but...
3. Regarding Colorado...I'm not crazy about the long, cold, snowy Colorado winters. Yes, I know it's mild compared to the NE and Midwest...but still a real winter. I spent a year in Fort Collins and felt trapped all winter. That said, I do love the other six months there. And I am all about the bike/walking paths everywhere -- many of which lead from neighborhoods. Love the active vibe and fitness culture.
4. As one poster, pointed out - as a military retiree I have Tricare health insurance -- thus don't use the VA medical facilities.
5. Park City-- My soon-to-be bride has family in Park City, which is why I put on the list. But I've never been, and I see that it is too $$$ for us. So that is out, I guess.

Not sure if what I'm looking for is doable with my resources, but it's helping me get clarity. Please keep the replies rolling!

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 2,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
Retired military as well - have lived in a few of your listed places and visited many of the others - there is a pretty wide range in culture. First thing I would figure out is do you want snow / no snow, humidity / no humidity. That will narrow your list down pretty quick. Vegas is a great hub for everything you listed and the economy is on a sky rocket here. $125K income will be a bit challenging finding a home in Summerlin (not impossible, but hard). I hated Colorado Springs - that's an entirely different thread. Boise is awesome, but long cold winters with common inversion layers making it pretty nasty....but a beautiful town Spring/Summer/Fall. Knoxville is beautiful..do you want to live in the South?

Good luck!
Really curious why you hated the Springs? Especially since you are retired military. Please tell.

Last edited by NuKidInTown; Yesterday at 09:16 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKidInTown View Post
What do you think of Eugene, Oregon?
Truthfully, you probably don't want to know what I think.

To me, Eugene and to a lesser extent, Portland, represent the worst of Oregon. Full disclosure: I was born and raised in OR and went to the University of Oregon for a time.

In recent years I made many business trips to Eugene and talked to a lot of people. Not once did I ever meet anyone who was upbeat and optimistic. Resentment and entitlement prevailed, as well as defeatism.

Not the kind of atmosphere I could ever live in.

The ten largest employers in Eugene were government entities, the last time I looked. And then there's Nike, which seems to run everything else.

If you're familiar with California at all, I refer to Eugene as "Santa Cruz North."

Don't listen to me, though, go there and see it for yourself. I understand it's not too bad if you live out in the rural areas rather than the city itself.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

792 posts, read 210,322 times
Santa Fe, NM?

Never been there but on my radar screen as a place that has a lot to offer for active young retirees.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Santa Fe, NM?

Never been there but on my radar screen as a place that has a lot to offer for active young retirees.
Can't say what it would be like to live there, but I LOVE Santa Fe. Epically gorgeous. I really do love the high desert, I happen to find it beautiful, breathtaking and of course very low humidity feels great to me. Sedona, AZ was probably my overall favorite though it's been decades since I visited. I understand it's packed now.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

38 posts, read 8,210 times
What about someplace like Greenville, SC? Summers will still be hot, but not as bad as Alabama and winters will still be fairly mild.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

If you don't like hot & especially humid, stay away from the southeast US, because you will get both in spades. And frankly ditto many parts of northeast. I grew up in the northeast and summers were so humid.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Have time to vist each place ?

Boots on the ground is the best method to make your choice,

Fo me, no snow so AZ wins out if your list. But, that is just me

When people come up with these large list of distant cities, it is critical to actually visit them. Knoxville was high on my list of retirement list ... until I actually visited the town.

As for "no snow in Arizona", that depends on the area. Higher elevations do get snow quite frequently.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

857 posts, read 197,106 times
I've been traveling every summer for the last several summers and each and every place I end up saying "wow! I really like this area!"....NM, Colorado, Western NC mountains (Blue Ridge Parkway), Utah, WY (Cheyenne).....problem is, I'm visiting these areas during the ideal time of year and not during winter months when the skies are cloudy, overcast, temps are cold, and snow is hard to drive in keeping you homebound. Probably best to visit during the absolute worst season if you really want to see how full-time living will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or