U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Can't say what it would be like to live there, but I LOVE Santa Fe. Epically gorgeous. I really do love the high desert, I happen to find it beautiful, breathtaking and of course very low humidity feels great to me. Sedona, AZ was probably my overall favorite though it's been decades since I visited. I understand it's packed now.
Only with tourists in the summer, trying to figure out how to negotiate the roundabouts.

Sedona is delightful in winter. Best time of year to go, IMO. The rush is over and everyone is more relaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

7,166 posts, read 8,620,829 times
I keep promising myself I will get back there so I think this winter I will. I haven't seen ASU since graduation and I really need to hang out and absorb some desert blue skies and get back to some red rock canyons.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

703 posts, read 795,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlb95 View Post
What about someplace like Greenville, SC? Summers will still be hot, but not as bad as Alabama and winters will still be fairly mild.
We retired to Greenville, SC five years ago and love it!

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 2,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When people come up with these large list of distant cities, it is critical to actually visit them. Knoxville was high on my list of retirement list ... until I actually visited the town.

As for "no snow in Arizona", that depends on the area. Higher elevations do get snow quite frequently.
What turned you off about Knoxville?

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKidInTown View Post
What turned you off about Knoxville?

I spent eight days in Eastern Tennessee, three of those in Knoxville trying to find a place to retire to.

What I did not like about Knoxville:

1) I did not think that the area would be a good cultural fit with us.
2) I found more blight than I had anticipated and really did not see a lot of places in the area that I would be interested to move into.
3) The grocery options were mediocre.

I will admit that I visited Cookeville and Oak Ridge I thought that Cookeville was a pretty attractive town but it was a little bit smaller than I would have liked. Oak Ridge probably would have been a very good fit BUT I am not sure that I want to live within 50 miles of a nuclear given the past history of Fernault and Hanford.

Had I decided to move into that region, I probably would have ended up somewhere in Lexington, Louisville, or Frankfurt, KY.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Quote:
I'm 55 (male) and she's 52. Recently engaged. I'm retired military and she's a teacher who will retire within a year.

We will have combined pensions of $125,000 per year. Savings of $200,000. Health care is covered since I'm retired military.

Considering:

- Boise ID
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Pacific NW
- Knoxville, TN
- Park City, UT
- Las Vegas (Summerlin)
- Prescott, AZ

We are active and enjoy hiking, tennis, traveling and like hills/mountains and greenery. Would like to minimize long hot summers and long cold winters.

Snowbirding and reverse snowboarding could be an option, but would prefer not to have two houses. Love the Pacific Northwest and lived in Washington for a couple years -- but would only want to live there over the summer -- so would need two houses (one in PNW and one in Prescott or Las Vegas, for example) to make that work, which doesn't seem financially feasible.

We are not limited to the list of places above -- other suggestions are most welcome!

Thoughts?
Mutually exclusive.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Depending on your wants/needs and if TN might on that list look into the Cumberland Plateau region. The weather there is much different than you might expect because of the altitude. We owned a lot in Fairfield Glade for a while, but the distance to amenities was too great. 40 miles to a shopping center, doctors, etc was not acceptable.

But that lot on a small lake was amazing!

2nd from the left.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fa....8848649?hl=en

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Depending on your wants/needs and if TN might on that list look into the Cumberland Plateau region. The weather there is much different than you might expect because of the altitude. We owned a lot in Fairfield Glade for a while, but the distance to amenities was too great. 40 miles to a shopping center, doctors, etc was not acceptable.

But that lot on a small lake was amazing!

2nd from the left.

My parents owned two lots in Fairfield Glade. They bought on a lot of promises that few were really kept. On the other hand, I live in what was once Fairfield Green Valley but I bought after EVERYTHING was built out completely.

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:
First, let me thank all those who are posting.

5. Park City-- My soon-to-be bride has family in Park City, which is why I put on the list. But I've never been, and I see that it is too $$$ for us. So that is out, I guess.

Not sure if what I'm looking for is doable with my resources, but it's helping me get clarity. Please keep the replies rolling!
If you think you wouldn't mind the dominant, but not necessarily onerous, influence of the LDS church, not going to be a huge factor probably if you don't have kids in school or are starting a business, I would check out Ogden UT, & perhaps Logan the same trip - both have nice outdoor possibilities. Same for some of the southern Idaho cities. 30+ years ago I thought that Heber UT next to & downhill from Park City had great potential but I understand it may be well developed & a bit pricey now... but I haven't been there since the late 80's.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 8,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
We retired to Greenville, SC five years ago and love it!

Yes, I've heard a lot of good things about it as a place to retire, and it would be within driving distance to Nashville. That's why I thought that he might want to look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or