Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKidInTown View Post
Knoxville got on the list because:

- I'm currently in Alabama, and it's a half-day's drive to my daughter (Nashville)
- No income tax
- Low cost of housing
- Decent scenery
- Fastest housing appreciation in the country, which would hopefully continue if I bought
- Some recreational stuff nearby (Smokies, etc.)..
Why is this a consideration? You're retiring!

I'm an Alaskan who attended college in Bellingham, WA and remember playing tennis one day in January there. That's something you definitely can't do in Alaska. At least, not yet.

PNW at sea level typically has very little if any cold (below freezing) weather in winter. They're quite mild, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Seriously???

Park City is only Salt Lake....and in the upper elevations. We lived on $45k in SLC. $125k would be more than enough.
You can buy a house in Summit Park for $500-something. That would be a pretty easy mortgage to handle on $125k. If you’re living at a ski resort, it’s actually kind of nice to be away from the unwashed masses in town. You’re also much closer to Salt Lake City.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 27,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can buy a house in Summit Park for $500-something. That would be a pretty easy mortgage to handle on $125k. If you’re living at a ski resort, it’s actually kind of nice to be away from the unwashed masses in town. You’re also much closer to Salt Lake City.
Thanks. I will look into it. What do you think about the Heber Valley/City area?

Old 07-08-2019, 12:56 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Ayup. Or on the backside near Jordannelle or Midway where you’re right next to PC is also affordable.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuKidInTown View Post
Thanks. I will look into it. What do you think about the Heber Valley/City area?
Heber Valley is lovely...and more affordable too. Lovely small town atmosphere....a lot of building going on there so growing pains is an issue.....but get a view of The Wasatch Back is priceless.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...45491072_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...84289087_zpid/

Last edited by mlb; 07-08-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 02:39 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
i think as a new member sometimes one might not be aware of what is acceptable on the forums.
They really discourage and do not tolerate advertising.
It seems like you do have some info to share that someone might be interested but the extras you included like your website and insta accounts are not ok here

Old 04-18-2020, 08:07 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,910 times
I would visit those areas in all seasons to see what you like: Arizona in summer and Colorado in winter for example.

Also what about health care? I know ppl in Las Vegas and they say health care is very poor. No enough doctors out there.

What about political climate? Can you tolerate ppl who may think differently than you?

Are there "hidden" expenses? Some states charge a personal tax on property- cars, boats, motorcycles- that other states do not have.

How about taxes? Some states tax SS and others don't.....there are many things that you should look at before moving anywhere. There is no perfect place, but insure that there are more pros than cons...

Old 04-18-2020, 08:08 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,910 times
Another thing is crime....some places have a VERY high crime rate on your list. Best to check if you can live with that.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:10 AM

824 posts, read 705,332 times
we stayed in the valley here but moved to an urban area.

prepare to down size now, start selling off personal stuff
consider walk-ability, lite rail or bus availability.
single level floor plan
retirement means you can totally stay at hone on snow days. Climate may not matter.
buy cash, pay off loans, avoid HOA fees...
buy a duplex, if you can diy but keep low key, low maintenance.

initially be thrifty, retirement costs could and will occur later in life.
and
fast internet, good books & friends are big rewards for some.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:52 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
A couple of thoughts from my research.

High humidity areas means uncomfortable weather often but it also means a good supply of water for various uses. That is what concerns me in the desert and southern west coast.

COL including taxes for someone with your income in retirement is going to be hard to beat on an after tax basis. I do not know how Tennessee pays for instrstrurcker with its low personal tax overeall. The high sales tax and it being on food does not make up for no income tax (which is becoming the case in a phased way by 2022) and low property tax rates.-

Id recommend you consider Chattanooga, TN as well as Greenville SC and maybe middle Tennessee which is more hilly and scenic than I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement