Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 04:09 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,078,432 times

Advertisements

If it comes time to go into a nursing home never to emerge, I think I would head for Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 04:10 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Everyone went to Medicaid. What happened to standing on your own two feet? Wasn't there recently a whole public discourse on expanding Medicaid?

I thought folks hated people who leach off of taxpayers.
Average stay in a nursing home is less than three years. I, as a taxpayer, do not mind paying taxes to make sure our seniors have a safe clean environment for their final years.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:10 PM

105,886 posts, read 107,840,851 times
Courts in New York , Florida and Connecticut have been up holding the right of refusal and pretty much there are few Medicaid. Recovery law suits going on ....it has turned in to negotiations since these 3 states don’t want to be filled with impoverished stay at home spouses so the court ordered Medicaid to strike a solution where the stay at home spouse does not get turned upside down

Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM

83 posts, read 72,605 times
Quote:
Everyone went to Medicaid. What happened to standing on your own two feet? Wasn't there recently a whole public discourse on expanding Medicaid?

Not sure I follow or want to, but the elderly have typically spent a lifetime paying for medicare and the late life benefits including Medicaid.

I apologize if I missed a discussion.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Average stay in a nursing home is less than three years. I, as a taxpayer, do not mind paying taxes to make sure our seniors have a safe clean environment for their final years.
Those stats are flawed big time and that is why insurers ended up getting hammered and had to get such large increases ...many areas like Florida have healthcare workers that care for those that need nursing home care and are healthier and take one or two in to their homes at a greatly reduced price .

We could not afford a nursing home for my dad when he had a paralyzing stroke ...two health care workers cared for him and 2 others in their home ....he was there for 5 years before dying ..the other two were still going strong . This is very popular in a lot of areas .

So all these people fell off the radar and were not accounted for ...insurers thought there was a whole lot less usage and for less time then they actually ended up with.

The old stats are based on a generation ago ...there was a lot more family care then ... but that usually broke up families and siblings ...one would step up to the plate and take a financial , social and mental hit and the others stepped back.. if a spouse is involved When the other spouse takes in a parent fighting and divorce was frequent ..

So the generation today looks at care from a whole other view if they were exposed to what happens to family trying to provide care they really can’t ....
More of us are living longer too which means care will be greater than old stats show .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-06-2019 at 04:24 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodog57 View Post
Not sure I follow or want to, but the elderly have typically spent a lifetime paying for medicare and the late life benefits including Medicaid.

I apologize if I missed a discussion.
No, Medicaid is welfare ..it is not user funded like Medicare

Old 07-06-2019, 04:17 PM

50,190 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I will put myself in the nursing home scenario but before I do let me say I am well aware of long term care insurance but some can not purchase it for any price due to pre-existing conditions. Let's assume I am one of those that can not purchase long term care insurance and haven't been able to for the last 10 years.

Home is paid for.

Car is relatively new and paid for.

Couple is certainly not rich. There's a total of between $80,000 and $100,000 in IRA's and savings accounts and that is it.

Husband and wife both receive social security which constitutes 75% of their total income.

Let's assume I develop severe memory problems and can no longer live at home and it is off to a nursing home where I will live at a cost of $70,000/year for the rest of my life.

What happens to the spouse and assets?
Going to assume you mean what can the spouse keep if the other is going to be on Medicaid? The spouse can keep the home. IRAs and other strictly retirement vehicles won't be touched. However if there is income coming in from them, most of that will be taken. If the spouse has a life insurance policy, they will make you cash it in. The amount of the income the state takes may depend on state, but they will take most of the patient's income. I don't think they will make you sell a car, but if it's in that patient's name they may.

This is quite common, that the spouse requires too much care, and the person can't take care of them anymore, but they will go broke if the spouse has to go to a nursing home. If it was my fiancé, I'd be okay because he'd go to a VA home. If it were me, he'd be in trouble.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:20 PM

341 posts, read 281,813 times
Quote:

If you can't beat them, Join them.
Or, if you can't join them, Beat them.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:20 PM

50,190 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think they must use stats that include rehab patients in that statistic, or they include the ones who come in at age 98 and die 6 months later, because I've been working in nursing homes for 20 years and that's not the case. We have many LTC residents who have been in homes for well over 10 years.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:21 PM

83 posts, read 72,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No, Medicaid is welfare ..it is not user funded like Medicare
Sorry, didn't phrase that well, but it still comes from our taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement