U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

71,457 posts, read 71,629,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I tip at least 20% in sit down restaurants and will continue to do so when I retire, but I may not be able to eat out as much in retirement as I do now.

What does bother me is fast food places that have an option to give a tip when you pay at the register. I don't expect to tip at fast food restaurants, although I have done it. I always tip at Starbucks. I'm not sure why that seems different to me than a fast food restaurant, but it does. I guess because it's more of a specialty service, just like I would tip when my car is vacuumed and cleaned or my hotel room is cleaned or my luggage is carried.

Seems like a lot of stores collect for charity now and ask if you want to add X amount to your total to go to charity. I don't particularly like being asked everywhere I go if I want to donate. A lot of money collected for charity goes to administration so if there is a charity I want to donate to directly, I will, but I don't usually donate at the cash register.
The problem is that when it is added to the bill up until recent court cases forced it to be changed that was a service charge and not a tip ....that money would go straight to the company cash register ..how they gave it out or not at all was up to them ....court cases now say restaurants must call it a service fee in our state and not gratuity or anything else misleading if it is not for the staff and included in your bill

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times
If I can't afford to leave a decent tip, I don't go out to eat. we don't eat out much anyhow, it is cheaper & healthier to eat at home. I also tip the people at the lake, who help us in & out of the rental boats. I think cheap people will use any excuse to get out of tipping. I worked as a waitress, some 40 years ago, so I respect good service.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,362,842 times
Again, should I tip everybody that makes minimum wage? How would I know who does, and who doesn't?

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,362,842 times
Oh, and cheap doesn't even begin to describe me. I worked hard for my money, I didn't get xxxx by giving it away.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times
ysr: "Again, should I tip everybody that makes minimum wage? How would I know who does, and who doesn't?"

Of course you don't tip everyone you meet, who makes minimum wage, where did you get that idea from? Most of us, in retirement worked long & hard for whatever we have now. But being kind sometimes is it's own reward ( for me anyhow) Just go & live your life as you see fit.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
One of the reasons I so rarely eat out (I love to cook!) is I hate tipping Waiters/Waitresses. But, I think nothing of giving my auto mechanic a nice tip, or my Plumber, or A/C repair man and I even try, without success, to tip overworked cashiers at the grocery store. I give tips to those I feel really deserve it. Serving me a meal that will add more weight to me???????

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
If you can't afford the tip, don't go out to eat.

With that said, I usually tip the "full amount" on food and maybe one drink, but I'm not tipping 25%+, especially if the alcohol is overpriced.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

38 posts, read 8,210 times
I used to waitress in high school, so I always tip sit down waiters/waitresses 20+% of total bill. My pet peeve is with the tip jar at fast food places or when you do take out and pick up the food yourself. I don't tip under those circumstances, unless there is some specific outstanding service that they provided.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But, I think nothing of giving my auto mechanic a nice tip, or my Plumber, or A/C repair man

Tip the PLUMBER?!??!? With what plumbers and electricians charge?!?!? Sorry but you just blew my mind with that one.

Plumbers typically charge $180 per hour (sometimes more) here. That's just for labor, no materials. I have never had a plumbing repair or new-work bill that was under $1000 all told. In fact I've got work upcoming later this month to just swap out 12 feet of heating baseboard for a higher-output type, which is going to cost me $1250. That's painful enough without adding a tip. I expect him to do the job well, isn't that what I am paying him for?

Okay, I will grant that if you have an emergency situation and the plumber drops whatever other job he is doing or has on the schedule in order to come over and address yours (especially if it's at night or on a weekend or holiday), then something extra is warranted. But for normal everyday work done in a correct, neat and professional manner? Tips are supposed to be for "going above and beyond", not for simply doing something to the expected standard. And especially not for trades that always charge top dollar. These guys are not making minimum wage or "struggling", they are people plying their trade with their own hands in a business they own and operate.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

4,355 posts, read 3,689,532 times
The unknown question is what is the true earnings per hour and are taxes paid?

But if your income is limited I think you are being very nice in what you do. I do not like the way tip jars have come about.
I also think as the minimum wage goes up tips should go down as we are no longer subsidizing the employees wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or