U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

70 posts, read 24,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I rarely have the maid service my room during my hotel stay unless I'm there for 3 days or more. One tip at the end is sufficient.
That is how we travel, and we tidy extensively and tip decently because we travel with pets.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
I you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out. Stay home with your money.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Funny how our generation grew up with the "tip the bellboy" habit from seeing our parents and grandparents do it. Room service person got a small tip too. I wonder if the Millenials and Gen X'ers do it, or whether carrying your own luggage is now the default.

And the rule of thumb I was taught used to be that you'd leave something for the hotel maid at the end of your stay, not on a daily basis. Although my dad's theory was that it only applied if you stayed more than one night. I confess that I never was crazy about the hotel-maid-tipping thing, probably because IMHO with what hotels charge per night there's no need to add more. Well, unless you accidentally left the room a gawdawful mess -- which I/we never did.

A custom that my mom taught me that apparently died out after the 1940s was that if you were dissatisfied with the waitress service you would still leave a small tip and add one penny to it. The penny meant "You're lucky you're getting any tip at all, because your service really didn't deserve it." If you were REALLY irked but didn't want to get the person in trouble (or fired) by complaining to the management, you'd leave just a penny. That got the message across loud and clear.
Left a penny once a long time ago.

Waitress? What waitress? Everything took forever. Some of the food was not hot since the waitress seemed to be hiding somewhere. Not courteous at all and gave the impression she didn't appreciate us being there.

So I left a penny. While we were standing at the checkout register the waitress came up to me and said, "Thanks for the lousy tip." To which I responded, "It was in keeping with you excellent service. You got exactly what you deserved."

Lady behind the counter gave that waitress a dirty look! I'm thinking that was her last night.

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

244 posts, read 218,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Oh, and cheap doesn't even begin to describe me. I worked hard for my money, I didn't get xxxx by giving it away.
Yikes! How about your replies in this thread:
Hey old guys, how do you like me now?

Especially this post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/55519405-post9.html

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

6,541 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Quote:
Oh, and cheap doesn't even begin to describe me. I worked hard for my money, I didn't get xxxx by giving it away.
Cheap? Yeah. But you still go out and expect exceptional service as if others should give it away to you. Nobody is entitled to privileged service and if you get good service you should offer a generous tip. Employers expect these minimum wage service workers to get tips so they can pay low wages. I'm cheap, too, and don't tip people that shove a tray at me so I can unwrap my sandwich. I seldom tip for a plain cup of coffee in a paper cup. I tip a bit for a haircut. I tipped a work crew that worked hard and did a good job clearing brush and weeds in my yard. I'll tip pretty generously at places I frequently "hang out" or at actual restaurant. The truth is that no one can live on minimum wage alone and certainly not if there are kids or childcare costs. Places with high cost of living are nearly impossible even with two or three jobs.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
I do not like tip threads but I do want to make this point.

Ten years ago, in most cases, servers were paid approximately 50% of the minimum wage which in the overwhelming majority of states, had not been adjusted for years.

In the last three years, minimum wage has been adjusted to $12-15 in MANY states. Restaurant prices have been adjusted accordingly to reflect the higher wages and benefits. So if we are in a place where the minimum wage is high and we are paying that through higher restaurant prices, why should we need to continue to tip a full 20%. It is not like we are usually getting great service in MOST restaurants.

Tipping on a cruise ship under a foreign flag is a whole different story as the wage structure is different.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't normally go to places that have tip jars. The ones i remember are the type of eating establishment where you order at a counter and then go pick up your food?

I don't like that type of place. I like to sit and relax with a menu and have my order taken. So do not mind tipping them.
Yep. My local Jersey Mike's all have tip jars. Tipping there isn't necessary. They have a tip question before you can enter a debit PIN.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,935,353 times
Quote:
I begrudgingly tip waitresses 15%, but that's it. It's not rocket science.
If you grudgingly tip even waiters/waitresses, maybe the problem is with you and being cheap? Just a thought. I don't tip people with jars, but I will never stiff a food server if they provide good service, that's just expected. Had you ever been a waiter or waitress, you'd know how important tipping is.

Oh... and I live in California too and manage to provide tips when I eat out.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,935,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Tipping is how waitstaff make their living. Withholding or scrimping on a tip because employees ďmade a bad career choiceĒ sounds like an excuse to be cheap. If you canít afford to eat out, donít. That includes a healthy tip for those who have to pay the same bills you do.
Exactly. I can't imagine going out to dinner and stiffing your servers. That's just pathetically cheap. Don't go out if you can't tip!

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,008,313 times
OP- You probably can get away with not tipping or tipping very little, at least from a legal standpoint.

However, you shouldn't be surprised when you get bad service, especially if you're going repeatedly to these places you're stiffing (not tipping where it is really engrained into the business culture- not just not tipping the tip jar which is more optional) the staff at.

You will get a reputation, and not one that gives anyone a good reason to go above and beyond for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or