U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Exactly. I can't imagine going out to dinner and stiffing your servers. That's just pathetically cheap. Don't go out if you can't tip!
It is very rare that I don't tip, but it does happen.

I stopped in at Buffalo Wild Wings with my girlfriend on the 4th for a late lunch. The waitress didn't even introduce herself - just a brusque "what do you want to drink?" Slow doesn't even begin to describe it. A side of fries was cold. No refills unless we mentioned it.

She took the cost of a drink off and I gave her exactly the price of the drink as a tip. Had she not done that, there would have been no tip at all.

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

479 posts, read 398,972 times
If being retired means you are going to stop tipping people who normally expect tips, then you should also turn down "senior" discounts (and not ask for any).

I mean, why should businesses give you free or reduced-price stuff, just because you decided to get old and retire.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,362,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out. Stay home with your money.
You said like a *********! telling me how to spend my money. No thanks

Last edited by ysr_racer; Yesterday at 03:37 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

13,189 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Enough trolling.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

71,457 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You said like a democrat, telling me how to spend my money. No thanks
I donít think we need another political discussion here

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
You have to admit the move to politics fits the poster.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here goes another contentious tip thread, in which participants bash each other amid accusations of "Cheapskate!" and nothing is ever settled.
Oh Lawd...not ANOTHER self-serving tip thread!!!!!!! Retired has nothing to do with it.

Let's end it now.

I'll start.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 04:02 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

71,457 posts, read 71,629,249 times
I never understand why people post their personal feelings about tipping and expect others to agree with them on either side ....do as you like , it really does not warrant a discussion

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,362,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I never understand why people post their personal feelings about tipping and expect others to agree with them on either side ....do as you like , it really does not warrant a discussion
This is a discussion forum. I'm interested in other people's opinions, even if they differ from my own.

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

2,731 posts, read 871,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Does anybody else find this non stop begging for tips out of control? I live in California. The least an employee can be paid is the state minimum wage of $12 an hour.

On January 1, 2020 it goes up to $13 an hour. Yet every where I go there's a tip jar. I begrudgingly tip waitresses 15%, but that's it. It's not rocket science.

I refuse to tip anybody else. If you don't like your job, get a different one. If you don't like your wages, talk to your employer, not me. If you made a bad career choice, I'm sorry.

I work retail, I solve problems for customers all day long and wait on tons of people. I never expect a tip. I have had people try to hand me money, and I thank them and politely refuse.

I tip for certain things, like eating at a restaurant, getting my hair cut, and maybe a couple of things I can't think of right now. But I do not tip when I order something across a counter, or at a drive thru. I think employers who are letting that happen are cheapening their image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or