U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 04:13 PM

2,461 posts, read 3,680,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Money Magazine back in the day was a major influence along with the propaganda from investment houses as they were considered propaganda to get you to do the right thing and then along came Vanguard.

Money Magazine had case studies of people preparing and in retirement with full disclosure of their finances etc etc. All I needed was a couple comparable to us and they became a role model. I still to this day remember two couples who had a major influence about what we wanted to do and how to accomplish it in retirement.

Then I found the retirement forum in City-Data. As noted this was years ago. A spunky bunch many early Boomers like us who wanted to roar into retirement with a reality check given routinely and encouragement to get real and do what was necessary if we wanted to accomplish what we said.
Didn't consider it bragging or attempting to shame folks but merely the effort to help translate dreams into financial reality.

One of my favorite threads started was on a topic like this one. However it progressed differently than this one did and was just the opposite. It evolved into a side discussion on good steaks and where to get them.

It was about the cut and the grade with the overwhelming consensus being between Prime NY strip or Rib Eye. Robin55 was heralding Publix and I lamented because there wasn't one near. I was part of the Costco crowd and they are still my favorite mass market choice. Others looked down on both places and insisted it had to be butcher shop or not at all.

There was a school of thought that in order to do Retirement right with full options you needed a retirement income 0f...…….. I hesitate to say because it my start a riot in here. I subscribed to that and it gave me a floor to keep under me etc etc etc. It was a floor and not a ceiling as only of late has this forum started to entertain the notion of a retirement income ceiling.

Man, are our planning backgrounds and tools similar! Even some subscription services - Money and NoLoad FundX in my case, and Fidelity was the 401(k) Manager at my first employer.

Everyone NEEDS an income goal for retirement. Sure the amounts will vary from couple to couple and individual to individual, but without a verifiable income goal you will be just shooting in the dark with any plan you develop.

BTW - We prefer our steaks from Sam's Club. Costco is a further drive and an additional membership fee. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 PM

72,029 posts, read 72,043,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This post seems like you had got a rant built up and couldn't find the thread for it, so just picked one with a title tangentially related and to get your sweet, sweet release.
It was either what they posted or discuss the weather I guess ...they both are just as related to the subject here

Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM

72,029 posts, read 72,043,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Money Magazine back in the day was a major influence along with the propaganda from investment houses as they were considered propaganda to get you to do the right thing and then along came Vanguard.

Money Magazine had case studies of people preparing and in retirement with full disclosure of their finances etc etc. All I needed was a couple comparable to us and they became a role model. I still to this day remember two couples who had a major influence about what we wanted to do and how to accomplish it in retirement.

I liked money magazine too ...I liked those articles about the couples....I never expected one day we would have been one of the couples being featured .

Old 07-20-2019, 10:02 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,073,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I liked money magazine too ...I liked those articles about the couples....I never expected one day we would have been one of the couples being featured .
Unfortunately, the edition featuring you, is no longer available on Money's web site.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:04 PM

13,412 posts, read 6,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It was either what they posted or discuss the weather I guess ...they both are just as related to the subject here
No, I think it’s early sign of Alzheimer’s, posting a non related subject. The person is lost.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 13,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Unfortunately, the edition featuring you, is no longer available on Money's web site.
Mathjak article is right here: https://money.cnn.com/magazines/mone...0203/index.htm

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

13,412 posts, read 6,411,220 times
Mathjak, you looked young then.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 1,408,480 times
I have not read the article and don't intend to. Articles like this are only relevant to some people, and as our expenses are only about 36K a year now and will continue to be only about two-thirds of that when we retire (as long as we stay out of ALFs), I cannot imagine that we will spend even $500k ($750k tops) in retirement tota for the rest of our lives. Of course, we are frugal and don't need expensive cars, homes, or country club memberships -- or any expensive hobbies, either. (But to each his own, of course!) And I know of several retired people who own their own (modest) homes in full and live on less than a thousand a month.

Y'know, I am really going to TRY to avoid reading such articles and threads from now on!

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 10:54 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

655 posts, read 353,688 times
Some here are in the two comma club, but I’d wager that most retirees get by quite well in the one comma ghetto.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 1,408,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Wow -- impressive, I must admit!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or