U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,370,179 times

Advertisements

Is the 1.7mil per person, or per couple? Because if its per couple my wife and I are 3.399mil short
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

9,353 posts, read 6,249,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
That's for dopes. When I retire, I'm going to commit a white collar crime and be sentenced to a Federal Board and Care. As the HR lady walks me to the paratransit van, I'll ask him to take me somewhere where I can commit a white-collar crime which will allow me to be arrested and sentenced to the geriatric block of the Mens Penal Colony at beautiful, sunny and warm San Luis Obispo CA. Free wifi, a vegetable garden to tend, fitness facility, free medical (I might petition to get the butt lift I've always wanted), free dental, plenty of old timers to drink coffee with and chat. Think about it, at that age, prison is no different than a $7000/month Beverly Hills board and care.

Take gallons of lube with you!

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Mathjak, thatís so sad. My dad had a big stroke at 59 but was able to live at home with my mom until a week before he died from another stroke.
And my dad, serious stroke at age 49... came to live with me for the next 30 + yrs. He hated every minute of it and made sure I knew that. Thus I have made a few other plans for myself (Living on borrowed time).

$1.7m might not hack it., but if I am gone tomorrow... I won't notice, survivors should be able to survive at this point.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

511 posts, read 631,117 times
I guess I don't need to save anything now. My pension and estimated SS at age 62 are equivalent to having $1.8M.

I think I'll still keep saving anyway.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

4,244 posts, read 2,084,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
That's for dopes. When I retire, I'm going to commit a white collar crime and be sentenced to a Federal Board and Care. As the HR lady walks me to the paratransit van, I'll ask him to take me somewhere where I can commit a white-collar crime which will allow me to be arrested and sentenced to the geriatric block of the Mens Penal Colony at beautiful, sunny and warm San Luis Obispo CA. Free wifi, a vegetable garden to tend, fitness facility, free medical (I might petition to get the butt lift I've always wanted), free dental, plenty of old timers to drink coffee with and chat. Think about it, at that age, prison is no different than a $7000/month Beverly Hills board and care.

California Men's Colony is a state prison.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

260 posts, read 67,465 times
Stealth that’s a horrible story. My dad only lived 14 years.

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

71,479 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I guess I don't need to save anything now. My pension and estimated SS at age 62 are equivalent to having $1.8M.

I think I'll still keep saving anyway.
Not the same thing when large expenses hit and you need lump sums... owning 1.8 million and spinning off the same income stream as a pension is way different then not having that principal

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

993 posts, read 380,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

I was at Maxwell some decades ago, in Squadron Officer School (as a civilian!). The prisoners, in their green uniforms, were a frequent sight... but we were vehemently told to avoid any contact with them. Even so, their hangdog expressions and shuffling-gates were telltale sign that their days were hardly filled with mirth and felicity.

On top of that, please consider: Mr. Mitchell enjoyed the thrill and trappings of power for decades. He built an enviable career... and then, sustained a staggering diminution. Even if he were imprisoned in a marble palace with granite counter-tops and fawning servants handing him wine and caviar, while he dictated his memoirs and lounged in a hot-tub, the sheer rage and torment of having thus declined in the world, would be unbearable. Were I to have been in his position, I'd reach for the nearest bed-sheet to hang myself.
I think our assigned prisoner was happy that he wasn’t cutting grass or otherwise working outside during a hot and humid Alabama summer.

When I encountered Mitchell, he had aged considerably from the pictures we were all used to seeing. Suddenly, he was nothing more than a defeated old man. It took me a few seconds to recognize him but I did manage pleasantries. I never saw him again after that initial encounter when he arrived the summer of 1977 but apparently he survived and died some 11 years later.

We were never told not to talk to them. It was actually unavoidable since part of their processing involved blood work. The trustees were decent guys and they all had interesting stories. It was actually a trustee who asked me for a favor when he wanted to “jump the line” and get Mitchell in and out of the lab. We were busy that morning but, this trustee was a nice guy so I did as he requested. I still remember being a little miffed over the request but, it was nothing worth a scene. Besides, you could say I was one of very few Americans who got to “stick it to John Mitchell”.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

10,188 posts, read 12,235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

I was at Maxwell some decades ago, in Squadron Officer School (as a civilian!). The prisoners, in their green uniforms, were a frequent sight... but we were vehemently told to avoid any contact with them. Even so, their hangdog expressions and shuffling-gates were telltale sign that their days were hardly filled with mirth and felicity.

On top of that, please consider: Mr. Mitchell enjoyed the thrill and trappings of power for decades. He built an enviable career... and then, sustained a staggering diminution. Even if he were imprisoned in a marble palace with granite counter-tops and fawning servants handing him wine and caviar, while he dictated his memoirs and lounged in a hot-tub, the sheer rage and torment of having thus declined in the world, would be unbearable. Were I to have been in his position, I'd reach for the nearest bed-sheet to hang myself.
I was born at Maxwell AFB. Dad was in Guam, mom demanded a US relocation and he got ALABAMA! Not a great place for a couple from Boston.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,025,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Is the 1.7 mil in cash, or does that mean you need 1.7 mil invested, that will pay dividends?
Yeah. Either way, we're retired, living well and have nowhere close to that either in cash or dividends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or