Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wow -- impressive, I must admit!!!!
That was 16 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
As I have previously said I love the Money magazine case studies and learned a lot from them. Especially with folks in comparable situations with us.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:33 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Good article. Inheriting a bunch of money sure makes things easier.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Good article. Inheriting a bunch of money sure makes things easier.
yeah , except they did not get the whole story correct .it wasn't an inheritance , it was a buy out of my wife's estranged step children in a business interest which we sold off . she was supposed to have a claim to it but errors in the will and trust threw that in to question . he was a builder in manhattan of commercial buildings and owned a decent size construction company .

long story , but because of poorly constructed documents done by a general practice attorney and not a knowledgeable estate attorney the courts ruled the will and trust defective . my wife never got to inherit a thing since it would have led to a long costly court battle and we may not have won ..

these estranged step children were specifically by name mentioned as to get no part of their grand fathers estate . but because grandpa's will was ruled defective they ended up being in line for a share and my wife not in line anymore , since the problem was there was no provisions for my wife's deceased husband predeceasing his parents in the documents . it was omitted by lack of knowledge by the attorney who did their documents decades earlier ..

so my wifes deceased husband ended up in line to get nothing since he died before his parents and his brother could just lay claim to it all . .

so we ended up just buying them out and inheriting nothing . ..

this is why i am big on not doing wills off the internet ... this was a very very costly error in paper work ... when we went looking for our own attorney i showed him the old documents from this event and asked him what he saw, immediately he said there is problem ... it is missing any information pertaining to predeceasing .

it is basically one missing sentence that caused all this grief . but the judge said he clearly sees the intent of grandpa but the courts cannot add missing verbiage or re-write history .

so the lesson here is make sure your wills are done by a pro and don't think for a second that courts will go with " intent "

it was fun doing that article .... that was 16 years ago ..... i came home from work and i see all the furniture from the apartment in the hall . there is a csn photography team in my living room , make up people and screens as a back drop .

they took over 100 shots for just one picture ... they had my wife with all her tops on the bed and i hear the make up person going don't you have anything not so low cut or tight ha ha ha

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-26-2019 at 06:50 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Some here are in the two comma club, but I’d wager that most retirees get by quite well in the one comma ghetto.
Some of us have the temerity to aim for three commas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I liked money magazine too ...I liked those articles about the couples....I never expected one day we would have been one of the couples being featured .
Invigorating article - thanks for linking! But... what ought we to make of the advice? A precious-metals and commodities fund? How would that have fared? And, the article emphasizes long-term care insurance... for a 53-year-old... while totally eliding any mention of taxes. In my opinion, that's a gross misapprehension of priorities.

Off topic, but Mathjak's spouse looks very much like how I pictured her, whereas he himself looks totally different... I imagined a lanky balding fellow with a bushy goatee and thick-framed glasses.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Some of us have the temerity to aim for three commas.

Invigorating article - thanks for linking! But... what ought we to make of the advice? A precious-metals and commodities fund? How would that have fared? And, the article emphasizes long-term care insurance... for a 53-year-old... while totally eliding any mention of taxes. In my opinion, that's a gross misapprehension of priorities.

Off topic, but Mathjak's spouse looks very much like how I pictured her, whereas he himself looks totally different... I imagined a lanky balding fellow with a bushy goatee and thick-framed glasses.
They and others recommended LTCi when we were at that age point. We evaluated and got it and boy are we glad. They noted that the industry could change and future policies might not be as generous. They aren’t.

As far as metals and commodities go at one time T.Rowe Price New Era was A killer fund just feeding the portfolio profits like crazy and then it wasn’t. Interestingly it is up 30% YTD. However I am to old for that ride these days.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-26-2019 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 11:15 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yeah , except they did not get the whole story correct .it wasn't an inheritance , it was a buy out of my wife's estranged step children in a business interest which we sold off . she was supposed to have a claim to it but errors in the will and trust threw that in to question . he was a builder in manhattan of commercial buildings and owned a decent size construction company .

long story , but because of poorly constructed documents done by a general practice attorney and not a knowledgeable estate attorney the courts ruled the will and trust defective . my wife never got to inherit a thing since it would have led to a long costly court battle and we may not have won ..

these estranged step children were specifically by name mentioned as to get no part of their grand fathers estate . but because grandpa's will was ruled defective they ended up being in line for a share and my wife not in line anymore , since the problem was there was no provisions for my wife's deceased husband predeceasing his parents in the documents . it was omitted by lack of knowledge by the attorney who did their documents decades earlier ..

so my wifes deceased husband ended up in line to get nothing since he died before his parents and his brother could just lay claim to it all . .

so we ended up just buying them out and inheriting nothing . ..

this is why i am big on not doing wills off the internet ... this was a very very costly error in paper work ... when we went looking for our own attorney i showed him the old documents from this event and asked him what he saw, immediately he said there is problem ... it is missing any information pertaining to predeceasing .

it is basically one missing sentence that caused all this grief . but the judge said he clearly sees the intent of grandpa but the courts cannot add missing verbiage or re-write history .

so the lesson here is make sure your wills are done by a pro and don't think for a second that courts will go with " intent "

it was fun doing that article .... that was 16 years ago ..... i came home from work and i see all the furniture from the apartment in the hall . there is a csn photography team in my living room , make up people and screens as a back drop .

they took over 100 shots for just one picture ... they had my wife with all her tops on the bed and i hear the make up person going don't you have anything not so low cut or tight ha ha ha
So if you hadn’t gotten this, we’ll call it “windfall” , from your wife’s deceased husband’s father, and only had the 700k at 53, where do you think you’d be today? Serious question....would you have retired with presumably way less than 1.7M at 65?

Old 07-26-2019, 11:21 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
So if you hadn’t gotten this, we’ll call it “windfall” , from your wife’s deceased husband’s father, and only had the 700k at 53, where do you think you’d be today? Serious question....would you have retired with presumably way less than 1.7M at 65?
I think if you do the math, it's entirely feasible and not unrealistic. Having said that, such windfalls are so nice. I'm glad his wife was willing to share.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Following the newsletter he does no. Also not sure that’s all the money he currently has.
Doubling your money over the last 12 years is no magic. However doubling after multiple years of draw down is not as easy.

The rule of 72.
The rule says that to find the number of years required to double your money at a given interest rate, you just divide the interest rate into 72. For example, if you want to know how long it will take to double your money at eight percent interest, divide 8 into 72 and get 9 years.
Moneychimp › features › rule72
The Rule of 72 (with calculator) - Estimate Compound Interest

So easy to double plus some in twelve years.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:33 AM

A handy calculator to approximate doubling time of investments:

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement