Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:37 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

https://time.com/5621757/us-american...irement-plans/

Just found this interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 03:43 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Actually 25% not retiring is actually good when you consider half of Americans have no savings or even earn enough to pay income tax at any point in their lives.

I don’t see much of any news here to be honest

Old 07-08-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually 25% not retiring is actually good when you consider half of Americans have no savings or even earn enough to pay income tax at any point in their lives.

I don’t see much of any news here to be honest
This is hardly 'news'. This topic has been in the news a lot over the past few years (longer?). What I found interesting was Time's presentation on the topic. PLUS -- I read somewhere, sometime back, that, according to Medicare/Medicaid (now CMS, right?), approx 10,000 Americans reach age 65 every day. Of those 10,000 Americans, 50% are already not working due to illness and/or injury, and the vast majority will never work again (due to their illness/injury). Which, among other things, makes raising the age of retirement/SS rather ridiculous. I've always thought that our government just hopes that, as it keeps raising the retirement age, more and more of us will die before it (the government) has to start paying us SS.

Anyway, that's what I found most interesting -- that working longer may not be an option, and we need to plan for that.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Once a person hits age 50 they are only one serious health problem or one employer down-sizing away from a forced retirement. Planning to work forever is denial, it is NOT a plan.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
This is hardly 'news'. This topic has been in the news a lot over the past few years (longer?). What I found interesting was Time's presentation on the topic. PLUS -- I read somewhere, sometime back, that, according to Medicare/Medicaid (now CMS, right?), approx 10,000 Americans reach age 65 every day. Of those 10,000 Americans, 50% are already not working due to illness and/or injury, and the vast majority will never work again (due to their illness/injury). Which, among other things, makes raising the age of retirement/SS rather ridiculous. I've always thought that our government just hopes that, as it keeps raising the retirement age, more and more of us will die before it (the government) has to start paying us SS.

Anyway, that's what I found most interesting -- that working longer may not be an option, and we need to plan for that.
Those numbers could be skewed as far as the unable to work .....Ssdi has become the new unemployment insurance for those who have connections who can work the system ...Ssdi actually went bust and had to divert a load of money from ss retirement to keep paying the tons of claims they now have ....claims have soared since rules were expanded out.

As one poster here Mercia posted “. All of the disabled are classified into three categories: Improvement Expected, Improvement Possible and Improvement Not Expected.

Someone with a spinal chord injury is classified as Improvement Not Expected, but even so, their case is automatically reviewed every 5 to 7 years to determine if they should continue receiving benefits.

Where you have Improvement Expected, their case is reviewed every 6 to 18 months. It's 3 years for all others.

About 3.5 Million of the 10.1 Million on Disability have mental disorders. Of those, 1.5 Million have "Mood Disorders" and the rest are autistic, mentally disabled, have congenital brain defects, head injuries, or are schizophrenic.

Social Security doesn't require the 1.5 Million with "Mood Disorders" to be involved in any treatment program, but they should. They should be required to attend weekly treatment sessions, and if they fail to do so, they need to be terminated.”

Old 07-08-2019, 04:40 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
In most of the world for all time, the "retirement" plan was to move in with your kids. It is a primary motivator for breeding.

I suspect the folks without savings have that plan.

If not, there is a small space under the bridge for a tent.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:45 AM

Closeness like that usually ends up blowing families up ...

My generation saw that with many of our parents as one sibling stepped up to the plate and all the others stepped back ...so one sibling took a financial , social , mental hit usually and the others got off Scott free . Many families were torn apart over the resentment.

If you had a spouse that is part of this that rarely ended well either ....so taking parents in is not as popular as it once was.

We would avoid it at all cost when it came to our kids

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-08-2019 at 04:55 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 04:50 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I did not find this at all interesting. What I see is the sad, sad state of journalism. Virtually every article written in magazines is now written by a 20 or 30 something writer who cranks out cr+p for a low salary. I can only imagine some editor going to one of these 20 something writers and asking for a 1500 word article on the sad state of retirement in the US. Have it ready by tomorrow and give it a title that will catch attention.

I have a hard time deciding which is sadder the poor quality of journalism and writing or the readership.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Once a person hits age 50 they are only one serious health problem or one employer down-sizing away from a forced retirement. Planning to work forever is denial, it is NOT a plan.
Excellent post. I agree.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I did not find this at all interesting. What I see is the sad, sad state of journalism. Virtually every article written in magazines is now written by a 20 or 30 something writer who cranks out cr+p for a low salary. I can only imagine some editor going to one of these 20 something writers and asking for a 1500 word article on the sad state of retirement in the US. Have it ready by tomorrow and give it a title that will catch attention.

I have a hard time deciding which is sadder the poor quality of journalism and writing or the readership.
Had to rep you on that.. these daily articles are just nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement