Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
This is hardly 'news'. This topic has been in the news a lot over the past few years (longer?). What I found interesting was Time's presentation on the topic. PLUS -- I read somewhere, sometime back, that, according to Medicare/Medicaid (now CMS, right?), approx 10,000 Americans reach age 65 every day. Of those 10,000 Americans, 50% are already not working due to illness and/or injury, and the vast majority will never work again (due to their illness/injury). Which, among other things, makes raising the age of retirement/SS rather ridiculous. I've always thought that our government just hopes that, as it keeps raising the retirement age, more and more of us will die before it (the government) has to start paying us SS.

Anyway, that's what I found most interesting -- that working longer may not be an option, and we need to plan for that.
We pay way too much for "disabled" people who aren't actually disabled. Oh your "back hurts?" Well welcome to the club, it's called being over the age of 30.

I'll also point out that most Americans don't take care of their bodies. Why should I have to pay for someone else's drug habit, or why should I have to pay for someone's diabetes treatments because they chose to guzzle down 2-liters of coke every day and eat Hostess cakes?

Sure, lets say a guy gets injured and we as a society want to fix his broken bone and get him back on the job, I'm fine with that, but why should I have to pay for some 55 year old's bad knees because they choose to weigh 300 lbs? Let them sit at home and rot by the couch (which is what they do in their free time anyway)....I hope they've accumulated some savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We pay way too much for "disabled" people who aren't actually disabled. Oh your "back hurts?" Well welcome to the club, it's called being over the age of 30.

I'll also point out that most Americans don't take care of their bodies. Why should I have to pay for someone else's drug habit, or why should I have to pay for someone's diabetes treatments because they chose to guzzle down 2-liters of coke every day and eat Hostess cakes?

Sure, lets say a guy gets injured and we as a society want to fix his broken bone and get him back on the job, I'm fine with that, but why should I have to pay for some 55 year old's bad knees because they choose to weigh 300 lbs? Let them sit at home and rot by the couch (which is what they do in their free time anyway)....I hope they've accumulated some savings.
There are very few penalties for the often largely behavior-related chronic conditions. The unemployed 400 lb person with the diabetes, high cholesterol, and all the chronic conditions gets patched up and taken care of to an extent. Meanwhile, younger and healthier people who don't use much of the system at any given time subsidize people like that.

I have no problem helping those who are truly needy, but it's a significant problem. I'll occasionally run into people I went to school and grew up with. The smokers and drug addicts all look like hell.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
If I was asked, I would say I don't plan on retirement. I like working and like another poster said, I think staying in the workforce will keep me sharp and engaged. But I am also single (as in not married) so it's not like I have someone to retire with, travel with, etc, etc. like everyone talks about doing when they retire. I just had a four day weekend by myself and I did all my yard work, house work, did a minor repair to an appliance, binge watched Stranger Things and read a book. I was ready to get back to work by Monday--I just like to keep doing things. I toy with the idea of starting a small business in retirement or just working part time.

That said, I still save in my 401k and IRA like I will be kicked out the door at 65 and will need 35 years of savings to live off of. I might not plan on leaving at 65, but life (or employers) might have different plans.
There are many ways to stay sharp and engaged that you can do based on your own schedule and interests, but retired people need to exert a little more effort to seek them out.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I used to do claim reserving for a block of disability income policies where I got a seriatim listing each quarter, including a field for the cause. It was amazing how many medical conditions (I googled a bunch of the unfamiliar terms) translated to "my back hurts".

Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I used to do claim reserving for a block of disability income policies where I got a seriatim listing each quarter, including a field for the cause. It was amazing how many medical conditions (I googled a bunch of the unfamiliar terms) translated to "my back hurts".

Several years back when I was assigned to triage at the VA clinic I work at a visiting WWII Vet from Texas came in for a sick visit. I asked him what was wrong and how could I help. He responded, "missy can you please give me some liniment to rub on my lumbago." Good thing I was a Bonanza fan as kid because I knew immediately what he was talking about which was the only time aside from Bonanza I ever heard that term used for back pain.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
"missy can you please give me some liniment to rub on my lumbago."
Wow I don't know what either word liniment or lumbago means, it sounds like something he should requesting from a prostitute.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Those numbers could be skewed as far as the unable to work .....Ssdi has become the new unemployment insurance for those who have connections who can work the system ...Ssdi actually went bust and had to divert a load of money from ss retirement to keep paying the tons of claims they now have ....claims have soared since rules were expanded out.

As one poster here Mercia posted “. All of the disabled are classified into three categories: Improvement Expected, Improvement Possible and Improvement Not Expected.

Someone with a spinal chord injury is classified as Improvement Not Expected, but even so, their case is automatically reviewed every 5 to 7 years to determine if they should continue receiving benefits.

Where you have Improvement Expected, their case is reviewed every 6 to 18 months. It's 3 years for all others.

About 3.5 Million of the 10.1 Million on Disability have mental disorders. Of those, 1.5 Million have "Mood Disorders" and the rest are autistic, mentally disabled, have congenital brain defects, head injuries, or are schizophrenic.

Social Security doesn't require the 1.5 Million with "Mood Disorders" to be involved in any treatment program, but they should. They should be required to attend weekly treatment sessions, and if they fail to do so, they need to be terminated.

Wow I did not know "mood disorders" qualify for SSDI. I bet a lot of people are gaming the system with this loophole since its easier to fake a "mood disorder." Its ironic for me to mention "gaming the system" because I actually know someone who would probably have a very good chance of legitimately qualifying for SSDI under "mood disorders." So I'm thankful that SSDI under "mood disorders" is there for people that truly need it.

This person has struggled their whole life but tried to fight through it. Like you mentioned, he has been getting treatment his whole like. Multiple psychiatrists, therapists, medication combos and willpower. Considering that this individual went through in the past I have been genuinely amazed that he even got to where he is in life. To me he is a perfect example of someone who fought as hard as a human can against the bad lot dealt to him. For a while it worked. Hw was able to hold down a steady minimum wage job, lived a responsible lifestyle on a bare bones income and lived within his means. He only bought what he could afford (no debt), planned responsibly and saved up some money for emergencies.

However, I have seen him slowly break down mentally over the last two years and I'm not sure how much longer he can actually hold a job. Sadly, I think he will "completely be broken mentally" in the next 2 years. I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. I will be sure to pass along this information to him. At least I know now he will have a shot to be "ok" even if he cant function normally in the future. This makes me wonder how many other people who qualify for SSDI who have no clue that they do.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,288 times
Save, invest well and be part of the 75% on the beach with adult beverage in hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement