U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:25 PM

786 posts, read 895,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Interesting.

What does it cost to live in Peru?
It all depends how you want to live. I have a paid off Penthouse apartment overlooking the Pacific Ocean, no need for a car, Maid,nanny for the kids,private schools, cheap healthcare/Dental, spend a few hundred a week dining out, drink good Whiskey, two International vacations a year and all in about 70k/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:30 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My cousin is 70 and she runs half marathons too. It isn't about age, it's about fitness.
Mom was still running Marathons and Ultras into her 70's... age 75 for last Ultra.

She started at age 50 to kick smoking... nothing worked and then someone said she should go for a run when she feels the urge for a cigarette... and the urge was apparently strong!

I do see a lot of widows... few widowers...

The newest is a friend... he was 4 years younger than his wife... they were married 42 years...

He had a good retirement and took 100% as he was younger and always in pristine health... wife had continuing health problems over the years...

You never know who will go first... his unexpected demise from pancreatic cancer left her in dire straights... 65% of the income gone and a hefty mortgage payment to boot...

As a side note... his Mom is 102 and living in her own home with her long term boyfriend of 26 years... his Mom lost her husband 65 years ago... and my friend was her only child.

Hearing a 102 year old mother get up to speak at her sons funeral was the most moving thing I have every heard...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-13-2019 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,400,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

As a side note... his Mom is 102 and living in her own home with her long term boyfriend of 26 years... his Mom lost her husband 65 years ago... and my friend was her only child.

Hearing a 102 year old mother get up to speak at her sons funeral was the most moving thing I have every heard...
102 with a 26 year old boyfriend? OUTSTANDING !!

Old 07-14-2019, 03:54 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,540,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Now we're both in our 60's, retired, but he's stuck in the Midwest (where he doesn't want to be) because of his wife's job. Sometimes there's unintended consequences.
Tell your buddy he is lucky. He doesn't have to pay for a nurse in his elder years; he married one.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Tell your buddy he is lucky. He doesn't have to pay for a nurse in his elder years; he married one.
I wonder if his wife will feel lucky when she's wiping the drool off his chin?

Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

769 posts, read 906,813 times
Quote:
I wonder if his wife will feel lucky when she's wiping the drool off his chin?

So, I get the impression from reading your posts in this thread...that you have trouble with the guy being 10 years older, but a 102 female with a 26 yr old guy is, in your words; outstanding. Huh, interesting.

Old Today, 03:32 AM

7,248 posts, read 4,679,799 times
Quote:
I think the biggest issues with a big difference in age (10+ years) is one spouse ends up dying way before the other, or worse, taking care of the other.
That's huge. My wife's more than 20 years younger than I, and I've never in my life been more conscious of my own mortality and downright afraid of dying as I have been these last several years. She's disabled, and the idea of leaving her alone to fend for herself while still in her 40s just scares the hell out of me. I always led a pretty wild and adventurous life, and just figured that when it was my time, so be it. Never gave it much thought. Now, though? Jesus, I've never been more cautious and safety-conscious in my life!

Old Today, 04:18 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,872,733 times
The 102yo mom has been WITH her long term boyfriend 26 yrs. He's not 26yo.

Old Today, 07:51 AM

2,469 posts, read 1,071,315 times
Quote:
I think the biggest issues with a big difference in age (10+ years) is one spouse ends up dying way before the other, or worse, taking care of the other.

BTDT - having my spouse die was worse for me than taking care of him. Taking care of each other is what you signed up for when you got married, remember? For better or worse, in sickness and in health?

Old Today, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
The 102yo mom has been WITH her long term boyfriend 26 yrs. He's not 26yo.
Oh, that makes much more sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or