U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:35 PM

2,647 posts, read 4,826,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Last year on July 8, it was 92 degrees in Tustin. Temperatures were 108 and 97 on July 6 and 7. I think all the wildfires may have also impacted the temperatures.
That is why I am glad I no longer live in Tustin. It is too hot for too many days. I am looking forward to retiring in the Midwest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,400,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That is why I am glad I no longer live in Tustin. It is too hot for too many days. I am looking forward to retiring in the Midwest!
I grew up in Chicago, hot and humid doesn't begin to describe it. Unless it's cold and freezing.

Be careful what you wish for

Last edited by ysr_racer; 07-08-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 05:19 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,754,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Now we're both in our 60's, retired, but he's stuck in the Midwest (where he doesn't want to be) because of his wife's job. Sometimes there's unintended consequences.
So....he's getting extra income without having to work for it? Sweet!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 388,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
So....he's getting extra income without having to work for it? Sweet!
Maybe that was part of his retirement strategy!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:27 PM

7,248 posts, read 4,679,799 times
"I'm stuck here" can have a lot pf degrees of meaning; life isn't completely black and white. Someone using the phrase does not necessarily mean their life is hell and they're miserable every minute.

I'm 61, my wife is 40. 11 years ago, I had planned to be semi-retired and living a life of leisure and relaxation in California by now, but a woman who had been a very good friend for 4 or 5 years sent me an e-mail in the middle of the night telling me that she was in love with me and wanted to marry me. Turned out I had been in love with her for quite some time too (yeah, I know, I can be pretty damned thick sometimes), so my plans changed. I now live with her in Kentucky, and hate almost everything about this place with a white-hot passion, but she's badly disabled and not in a good condition for a cross-country move. So, I'm "stuck here."

But I did manage to find a job that I absolutely love, which greatly helps in passing the time, and I love her far, far more than I hate Kentucky, so I wouldn't trade Kentucky for California even-up for all the cheese in Wisconsin. It's not where I want to be, so I often feel as though I'm "stuck" here, but in the scheme of things I wouldn't have it any other way. When you find someone who's the right person, you shift your priorities around quite a bit. I could never be as happy someplace else without her as I am every day in Kentucky with her.

But I still can't wait until she finishes her damned surgeries so we can get the hell out of this place once and for all...

Old 07-08-2019, 05:34 PM

2,647 posts, read 4,826,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I grew up in Chicago, hot and humid doesn't begin to describe it. Unless out l it's cold and freezing.
Chicago is not even cold compared to really freezing cities like Minneapolis or Winnipeg. The summers could be better but Chicago averages only twelve 90+ degree days per year. That's 12 too many but if one is retired one can book an August trip to Eureka or the Oregon Coast to cool off.

I really miss the beautiful autumns of the Midwest. September and October are the most glorious months of the year in Wisconsin and Minnesota but they are among the worst in California.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:01 PM

4,846 posts, read 4,962,112 times
I've know men who wanted to retire after 65 but kept working in order to maintain their group health insurance plans for a much younger wife.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:19 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,071,315 times
When I was still snowbirding, there was a guy who came south to Alabama without his wife. She wasn't working but didn't want to leave the grandkids. He enjoyed playing cards and visiting with his friends. Maybe your friend could do something like that, get away for a month in the worst part of winter.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
My brother and his wife have a 10 year age difference between them... 25 year of happily married with kids doing great...

They solved the issue of work constraints when his wife decided to stay home full time after the first child came along...

They travel a lot as a couple and family... he is self employed and does quite well...

She is the youngest in the family on both sides and highly respected... he would not or could not be the success he is in business without her and this is something he has said...

She had a very good job that resulted in a lot of corporate travel... which was not as appealing after the been their done that started to catch up...

Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,660,750 times
When I was newly divorced at 57 (about 8 years ago) a Builder took about 20 of us Guy Realtors with most over 55 to a Mavericks Basketball game. Out of the 20 probably 6 guys over 60 had kids younger than 5.

Had to ask each one how the heck did you end up with a 3-5 yo old at your age and everyone of them had a story about the younger 2nd or 3rd wife.

Being newly divorced I decided then I would not date anyone 8 years or more younger but more importantly anyone who could still reproduce.

Worse than having a wife 10 years younger is having a kid that's 50 years younger.

Hell no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or