Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:24 PM

105,916 posts, read 107,860,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
First you said

Now you say

And that directly contradicts your first statement. And neither answer is complete or accurate.
Getting recalculated because you gave money back has you recalculated AS IF YOU DID NOT FILE WHEN YOU DID ....THERE IS NO CONTRADICTION....

that has absolutely nothing in common with bumping out lower earnings in your work history ...if you file pre fra for ss and are still working you will hit the earnings cap if you earn more than 1470 a month or the cumulative total ....for most that will unlikely bump out their highest earning years ....the best they can hope to do is bump out a zero if they did not have 35 years..

Realistically you have to work after fra to bump your high years out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:34 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Getting recalculated because you gave money back has you recalculated AS IF YOU DID NOT FILE WHEN YOU DID ....THERE IS NO CONTRADICTION....

that has absolutely nothing in common with bumping out lower earnings in your work history ...if you file pre fra for ss and are still working you will hit the earnings cap if you earn more than 1470 a month or the cumulative total ....for most that will unlikely bump out their highest earning years ....the best they can hope to do is bump out a zero if they did not have 35 years..

Realistically you have to work after fra to bump your high years out.

You're moving the goal posts now, Mathjak.

Two people asked if their SS would get recalculated. The OP said that he only earns $5k/year working part-time, and ElmersGlue asked specifically about someone who doesn't have 35 years worth of earnings when he initially starts to draw SS. Contrary to what you initially posted, in both those situations, the Social Security Administration will automatically recalculate their benefits taking their post-retirement part-time work into account. For the OP, whether that recalculation results in an additional benefit will be dependent upon whether it bumps any earlier low income years. In ElmersGlue's scenario, the benefit will absolutely, positively, be increased because the part-time work would replace zeros in the earlier initial SS calculation.

Your initial response to ElmersGlue that once you file you're locked in and nothing else counts, as a blanket statement, is incorrect.

I know it doesn't happen often to you, but it's okay to admit when you've made a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Since starting Social Security a couple years ago at 62, I have had part-time jobs during most of this time. Not making anywhere near the max you can make (17K I think) before they start dinging you and reducing SS payments.

Now if you are someone like me, making an extra 5k or whatever a year, and SS tax IS taken out of it, at some point does my benefit get recalculated and even give me a few bucks or so more a month on my SS? Or is my benefit engraved in stone, except for annual COL increases, and this extra I am paying into SS via my p/t job just a freebie to the SSA??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmersGlue. View Post
what if you do not have 35yrs in and acquire them after you take early SS?

Not sure but I believe they do not count those 35 years after FRA

Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM

154 posts, read 91,511 times
Mathjack isn't moving the goalposts.
If you save up all the SS $ in the first yr, then you can re-calculate as if you never filed at 62
But you need to pay it back

Last edited by ElmersGlue.; 07-08-2019 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Do you already have your 35 years of earnings ?
No.

I had some good working years when I was young until my son became Schizophrenic. I saw signs during high school but deluded myself as he was able to pull off 2 AA degrees, a bachelors and a great paying job while in College. Even attending College Classes while in High School and holding a p/t job. Never seen any kid do so much, nor heard of any. He hardly slept for years. We never charged him rent nor had overly high expectations

Eventually he lost that good paying job to voices around age 27. We saw he was schizo knowing he would loose the job so encouraged him to remain at home saving as much in his 401k as possible until he lost it. Of course as parents, you delude yoursel hoping the illness will go away if you eat organic whole foods, get him to exercise, etc. He still won't take his meds as needed

I tried to survive without suicidal thoughts. Schizophrenia runs in my husbands family.
It doesn't help that my mom tried to kill us kids thus was committed to a mental institution and jail afterwards. She poisoned us but I turned her in realizing what was occurring. She kept trying and was caught.

Dad eventually went to jail for his DUI's and burglery so I was emancipated at 16.

Worked at McDonalds and paid rent until getting married at 19. Still happily married.

After my son got ill, I decided to find a meager paying job that would allow me to stay "mentally healthy" and fit as I couldn't do it willfully on my own anymore. I became a security guard working 24 hrs a week...or actually closer to 28-30 after filling in... until it was reduced to 12 hrs after new ownership. With such low pay.... you either pay someone to do what you need, or you become self sufficient.

Learned to can food, raise chickens, whatever to stay home and help care for our grown son. At least be available in case of a crisis most of the time.

My life ended the day I saw him talking to himself Junor Year of High School. By age 27, he could no longer hold it together and lost his job with Apple. I had seen this with my husbands brother who was a close friend, despite his illness. Just never imagined it would happen to us.
With my husband growing up with a schizophrenic brother, he handled it better but still was awfully depressed. Anyway, that is far more than you asked for so I better stop lol

Last edited by ElmersGlue.; 07-08-2019 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 PM

474 posts, read 316,388 times
SS benefits continue to be recalculated as long as you're employed. It doesn't mean everyone will see an increase in their benefits if they continue to work after benefits start (see article below) but to say benefits are set in stone etc. once you start collecting SS is wrong.

From the SSA

https://blog.ssa.gov/three-common-wa...er-retirement/

Old 07-08-2019, 09:11 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Mathjack isn't moving the goalposts.
If you save up all the SS $ in the first yr, then you can re-calculate as if you never filed at 62
But you need to pay it back
No.

Simply, no.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:13 AM

105,916 posts, read 107,860,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You're moving the goal posts now, Mathjak.

Two people asked if their SS would get recalculated. The OP said that he only earns $5k/year working part-time, and ElmersGlue asked specifically about someone who doesn't have 35 years worth of earnings when he initially starts to draw SS. Contrary to what you initially posted, in both those situations, the Social Security Administration will automatically recalculate their benefits taking their post-retirement part-time work into account. For the OP, whether that recalculation results in an additional benefit will be dependent upon whether it bumps any earlier low income years. In ElmersGlue's scenario, the benefit will absolutely, positively, be increased because the part-time work would replace zeros in the earlier initial SS calculation.

Your initial response to ElmersGlue that once you file you're locked in and nothing else counts, as a blanket statement, is incorrect.

I know it doesn't happen often to you, but it's okay to admit when you've made a mistake.
I agree with you..I was not thinking in terms of someone not having 35 years in history , I was thinking in terms of trying to increase payments by working pre fra which as you know would not help most since you can’t earn much compared to working full time uncapped

Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
what if you do not have 35yrs in and acquire them after you take early SS?

Not sure but I believe they do not count those 35 years after FRA
They do count - from https://blog.ssa.gov/three-common-wa...er-retirement/

Quote:
Social Security uses your highest thirty-five years of earnings to figure your benefit amount when you sign up for benefits. If you work after you begin receiving benefits, your additional earnings may increase your payment. If you had fewer than 35 years of earnings when we figured your benefit, you will replace a zero earnings year with new earnings. If you had 35 years or more, we will check to see if your new year of earnings is higher than the lowest of the 35 years (after considering indexing). We check additional earnings each year you work while receiving Social Security. If an increase is due, we send a notice and pay a one-time check for the increase and your continuing payment will be higher.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Thank you so much!!

I guess I do have 35 yrs says my husband. I worked two jobs for a long time-for a bank 3.5 hrs a day processing checks (Now computers do it) and as a waitress in the evening for 8 yrs. Though my waitress stubs showed taxes being taken out, decades later,I learned that money was never reported. The Packistani owners must've kept the money and my paycheck stubs are long gone now. Such is life.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
SS benefits continue to be recalculated as long as you're employed. It doesn't mean everyone will see an increase in their benefits if they continue to work after benefits start (see article below) but to say benefits are set in stone etc. once you start collecting SS is wrong.

From the SSA

https://blog.ssa.gov/three-common-wa...er-retirement/
Thanks alot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement