U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,716,176 times

Advertisements

Just being alive and fairly healthy. My books (which, at 70, I can still read pretty easily). My keen interest in life -- everything from amoebas to zebras. My computer and the Internet -- I had one of the first Commodores, and I've had a WP/computer ever since. Getting on line in the early 90s -- when the Internet was NOTHING like it is today, but, still, 'back then', it was a real miracle -- and I still think of it as a miracle. My cat companions along the way. My lack of TV for the past 20+ years and getting Netflix only 6 years ago. My car -- love taking all-day drives around my gorgeous state (which I retired to about 15 years ago) -- which I do less and less the older I get. LOL My memories -- of raising my children, good close friends, and traveling around Europe, which I was blessed to be able to do in my 20s and 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

612 posts, read 249,849 times
I'm something of a nature freak, so for me:

The Cardinal singing outside my bedroom window in the morning
The fireflies sparkling and lighting up the evening
The chipmunk and bunny that live in my backyard
The occasional glimpse of a bluebird
Thunderstorms and torrential downpours

Just moved here from the West Coast/city life and couldn't be happier!

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I still get excited (Ok not as much as I used to) when I see the first snowfall of the season.

Even with my, thankfully short, list of medical encumbrances, I don't feel as "old" as most others my age. Or at least as old and grouchy as I perceive them to be. I perceive most people my age to be something like Mr Wilson on the old Dennis the Menace TV show.
I get excited about the first snowfall too. And the early early spring when things are just beginning to bloom again. (I had no idea how boring Southern CA was until I moved to a state with a mild change of seasons.)

And, yes, I find my peers to be like Mr. Wilson -- and, often, worse! LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL I'm laughing ONLY because I've always thought -- well, to some extent -- that it must be ME -- that I MUST be seeing things incorrectly. I knew I wasn't perceiving incorrectly -- and I knew there were/are good reasons for some older people to be unhappy (worries about money, their ill health, ill health of a spouse -- good reasons) -- but, still, I was very sick for three years (not all that long ago), I severely broke my shoulder, I SEVERELY broke my arm and wrist another time -- and even during those times, I wasn't a Mr. Wilson (and I am FAR from a Pollyana -- I just am content with my life, which is not perfect, but pretty darn good). I don't understand why old people become SO unhappy, so angry and stay in their homes all day long. And rude. HOWEVER, when I was so sick last winter that I almost died, some of my grouchy neighbors readily came to my aid. Almost every single day, at least one person knocked on my door to see how I was and to ask if I needed anything. So -- go figure. And once I recovered, it was back to the SOS. Such a sad way, I think, to spend the remaining years of one's life.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

2,159 posts, read 531,207 times
A home-roasted Costa Rican in my cup.

The sound of my ski boots locking into my ski bindings.

Pausing at the top of a double-black diamond, very steep, narrow, mogul run and selecting my line. Pausing to look at the scenery. Taking a deep breath, and diving in.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I'm something of a nature freak, so for me:

The Cardinal singing outside my bedroom window in the morning
The fireflies sparkling and lighting up the evening
The chipmunk and bunny that live in my backyard
The occasional glimpse of a bluebird
Thunderstorms and torrential downpours

Just moved here from the West Coast/city life and couldn't be happier!
Absolutely! I understand! And I love seeing the Roadrunners out in spring! (Mean little creatures but beautiful and also comical, none the less.)

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Well, our dairy products down here suck, so not ice cream.

When DH brings me coffee and irish cream in my travel mug, while I'm sitting up in bed with my laptop, looking out at the waves---that's heaven right there.

Seeds germinating in my pots: always a miracle.

And these little guys are hours of entertainment---so comical! We call it "crab TV":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOeGXKUgMWM

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

510 posts, read 303,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
And the early early spring when things are just beginning to bloom again. (I had no idea how boring Southern CA was until I moved to a state with a mild change of seasons.).
Yes. Early Spring. Between snow shoveling/windshield scraping season and lawn mowing season.

I used to live in Las Vegas so I know about the lack of seasonality. I liked the being able to move about unencumbered and not having to dress heavy but there was still something "weird" about it.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Every couple of weeks I get a pepperoni pizza delivered, it tastes so good & the act seems so decadent! And about every third delivery or so I drink some Dogfish Head IPA with it.

It's the little things....

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Yes. Early Spring. Between snow shoveling/windshield scraping season and lawn mowing season.

I used to live in Las Vegas so I know about the lack of seasonality. I liked the being able to move about unencumbered and not having to dress heavy but there was still something "weird" about it.
Oh yeah -- I froze the first 2-3 winters I was in NM. I thought I'd never thaw out! LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL But, naw, I don't miss Southern CA's BORINGGGGGG weather, and, after almost 15 years in NM, I am well adjusted to the winters (most of which have been extremely mild). Not so much the heat though -- darn, it's hot here -- but it's not nearly as hot as Arizona, and, unlike other states, we have virtually NO HUMIDITY.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

2,225 posts, read 1,098,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

What are the little things in your life that remind you that life is still good?

A big hug from my husband every morning, a good breakfast with a hot cup of tea, a soft bed, a roof over my head, and flowers in my garden.

Wish I had a purring cat on my lap, but you can't have everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement