U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times

Advertisements

" I recognized that the two best times of the day were when I went to bed, and when I got up."

Sounds like such a funny thing to say but I have come to recognize that too. The work is done and new possibilities lay head. Anticipation is a wonderful feeling.

I speak as a fledgling here among some of you elders but I recognize how fortunate and strong we are to have lived this long. It acknowledges a certain amount of creativity in how we weather life's tribulations.

I'm a pessimist by birth and realized around my thirtieth birthday that if I was ever going to have a life worth living I was going to have to resist that inclination. To that end I fill myself with gratitude. There is virtually no end to the things to be grateful for. When I look in that direction I don't need to be bothered by the bogeymen of being human.

My list is ordinary and very similar to yours:

Kitties
Companionship
Family
Nature's beauty
Good food and drink
The arts, especially literature and music
The ability to feel humor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,716,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
A big hug from my husband every morning, a good breakfast with a hot cup of tea, a soft bed, a roof over my head, and flowers in my garden.

Wish I had a purring cat on my lap, but you can't have everything.
I have a purring cat on my lap just as I read your post.

Lost my 11-year-old cat about a year ago, after 10 months of vet visits. Five weeks ago I adopted a 15-year-old cat that nobody wanted. He is a real treasure (and, thank goodness, in good health, so far). I consider myself very blessed (and so is he -- the spoiled little sh-t LOLOLOLOLOLOL).

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

2,735 posts, read 721,741 times
Fran, that is amazing that you adopted such an elderly cat---I'm sure at that age, he was unadoptable...except he wasn't, because YOU came along. You made the world a better place for that cat and that is really special. Definitely a touchstone of well-being that you wanted to spend time and energy on a cat of such advanced years---and that you can look at the positives, that any time you have left to spend together will be time you wouldn't have had if you hadn't adopted him, and not be hung up on the negatives/what-ifs about his age and possible health problems in the future. And maybe that's an example for all of us, to enjoy the time we have right now and not worry (too much) about what may come in teh future...

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,716,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Fran, that is amazing that you adopted such an elderly cat---I'm sure at that age, he was unadoptable...except he wasn't, because YOU came along. You made the world a better place for that cat and that is really special. Definitely a touchstone of well-being that you wanted to spend time and energy on a cat of such advanced years---and that you can look at the positives, that any time you have left to spend together will be time you wouldn't have had if you hadn't adopted him, and not be hung up on the negatives/what-ifs about his age and possible health problems in the future. And maybe that's an example for all of us, to enjoy the time we have right now and not worry (too much) about what may come in teh future...
Yeah, he couldn't be with children or other pets -- add his age, and the chances of him being adopted were zip, zilch and none. But I really am the one who is blessed. He sleeps most of the time, but when he is awake, he is both a sweetheart AND a sassy little brat. He is a 'talker'. I love it.

As for the negatives -- one of the reasons I got an older car is because, as I told the pound, "I'm old too, and he and I can just 'go' together!" LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

As for future health problems (and I know they are coming), animals are animals. I have a monetary limit on how much I will spend to keep him alive, and when I've reached that amount, he is going to Kitty Heaven -- and I'll adopt another old cat.

You are so sweet, JazzCat. More than likely, a much kinder person than I am.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Perfect whether in SoCal, sunny but not to hot, there not much we can do to improve it. Life is good. Ice cream time.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
A big hug from my husband every morning, a good breakfast with a hot cup of tea, a soft bed, a roof over my head, and flowers in my garden.

Wish I had a purring cat on my lap, but you can't have everything.

Purring cats are a true goodness! When they sit on your lap and vibrate as you pet them with a deep throated rasp and move their head to get more areas available to be petted, that's pretty cool. OTOH-when they poop in your bed as some kind of statement, that's not so cool.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 1,060,930 times
I have to make do with the neighbor's cat who comes out to the street when I walk by and meow. We have a love fest.

As far as well-being, I guess still being able to navigate the steep stairs and bathtub in my antique apartment.

I just finished a small dish of ice cream when I read this. I don't always have it in the freezer, but when I want it, I have it.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

3,298 posts, read 1,343,486 times
There is a cat in my happy place, too, which is late at night in front of the TV with a book, a snack, and my kitty friend. All day long I look forward to being home, safe from ringing phones and traffic and work and all that the world has to offer, and just chilling. I should really get more sleep, but who wants to go to bed and miss all that stressless time?

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

1,165 posts, read 971,112 times
Beauty of the outdoors; especially overlooking my back porch, my family and pooches, a good book, good company LAUGHTER and a good meal, hugs, lying on my couch and watching a good TV show or movie. Family weddings, good music, dancing, singing. I agree with the ice cream; even better in a cone. Better yet to sit outside on a beautiful day and eat it, while people watching and looking at the clear blue sky and trees.
Life is good. I feel so very fortunate.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

444 posts, read 281,031 times
I think my favorite small thing is waking up almost every day without an alarm clock and then waking up slowly, not leaping out of bed to get to work. Bigger things- Looking at Lake Michigan all day, every day. Having parents still living, whom I can talk to several times a day, and living near enough to visit a few times a month. Waving at everyone you drive past in our small community. Time to read and putter with my hobbies. Liking my brothers and their kids. The fierce tenderness of music.

Nice thread, o.p.!

Last edited by upnorthretiree; Yesterday at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement