U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Frivolous, or serious..

I always have ice cream in my freezer.

Through my 60s, living alone, I recognized that the two best times of the day were when I went to bed, and when I got up.

What are the little things in your life that remind you that life is still good?
I wouldn't trade a good BM in the morning for all the ice cream in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:42 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
As long as I can pleasure myself in bed before I go to sleep, that still makes the world a wonderful place to be in. Sex is the greatest joy available to mankind!

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

6,574 posts, read 1,352,342 times
My husband (he still loves to cuddle with me), sunrises/sunsets, walking or driving in beautiful scenery, browsing in a bookstore.

Food? Homemade Tollhouse cookies fresh out of the oven with accompanies by a glass of milk; a glass of wine on the patio; pizza with wine in front of a woodburning fireplace on a snowy or rainy evening while watching a good movie.

P.S. Thank you so much for this thread, cebuan! Such a nice change from the recent Current Events and P&OC forums! This was just what I needed to remind me how many nice people there actually are, both in the world itself and those who post on City-Data.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

287 posts, read 139,923 times
This morning is a picture perfect day in central Wisconsin. Blue skies, no humidty and pleasant temps. Before work I walked around my patio checking on the cukes and tomatoes and breathed in the frest air. Now I am sitting at my desk listening to the 70s on Spotify and reading this board and smiling. Tonight we will grill and take a walk. Always finish the night by writing in my journal and reading.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,868,735 times
When I check my finances and realize I am quite blessed;
Food in the pantry and fridge;
A great two year old car that starts every time;
Not having to live by an alarm clock;
Winning bargains on ebay;
Having pretty good health, not being fat, and looking decent for my age.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,154,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm a pessimist by birth and realized around my thirtieth birthday that if I was ever going to have a life worth living I was going to have to resist that inclination. To that end I fill myself with gratitude. There is virtually no end to the things to be grateful for.
I am a born optimist and agree that there is no end to the things to be grateful for.

My touchstones of well-being list is very long with many similar items to yours and others including ice cream in the freezer along with many other goodies mostly homegrown and homemade.

My good health (physically, mentally and emotionally) is the key touchstone of my well-being. I wake up everyday feeling thankful for having the energy and enthusiasm to embrace projects, daily tasks and various volunteer/entertainment/learning activities.

There are so many things to do in retirement. My calendar is always full with many events/activities. This coming Saturday, we have to decide whether to go on an all-day birding field trip to Scott Mountainís Subalpine Forest, to fly in a B-17 or P-51 at our local airport, to take a nature photography workshop at a nearby lake or to attend a fundraising/wine tasting event.

Life is good when you are healthy and surrounded with many people, creatures and things which you enjoy/love.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
Interactions with my grandchildren whom I love with all my heart.

Going to bed with DH every night.

Making that first pot of coffee in the morning. Drinking that first cup of coffee in the morning.

Watching a movie in the evening with DH at home.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,014,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I too always have ice cream in my freezer.
That's what freezers are for. Some folks keep other things in them.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

653 posts, read 890,448 times
Loving all the positive replies!

I am very grateful for my amazing good health -- I take no medications of any type and usually wake up feeling optimistic. I love the EARLY morning -- sometimes I get up before 5 am and drink delicious french press coffee in bed for an hour with a good book. I have always loved reading and now I can read any time of the day and it is a total luxury.

I take my morning walk around 5:45 am which is a WONDERFUL time of the day -- the sun is trying to emerge and the sky is amazing and the birds are all waking up and chirping. I see one or two other souls walking their dogs but it is blissfully quiet and peaceful. Today I saw a mama deer and two adorable babies just strolling through a neighbor's lawn. Sometimes I listen on my phone to the Keith Whitley station on slacker radio -- old school country music ballads mostly.

Right now all is good with my family and I try to treasure that -- things can change in an instant. Everyone is healthy and employed and no major dramas or traumas. I always say a day without a disaster is a wonderful day -- only in hindsight do you realize the blessing of a boring quiet day.

I hope everyone is in their own "happy place" wherever you are.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

197 posts, read 104,622 times
Any day above ground is a good day
Turning off CNN
Chocolate
Puppies
Being able to pray
Ocean waves salt air
Warm Towels
Fireworks
Sunsets
Ice cream
Hugs
Marching bands
Christmas carols
Holding hands
Hearing I Love You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement