U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:30 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,326,452 times

Advertisements

If you can deal with lack of good delis, move to North Dallas, TX. Plenty of politically conservative people who adhere to Conservative Judaism. Poor deli situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,326,452 times
Hey OP, it's not totally clear in your first post, whether you mean "conservative synagogue" to mean "Conservative Judaism" or "not politically liberal". Could you clarify?

Old 07-10-2019, 01:49 PM

2,562 posts, read 955,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There are plenty of Jewish towns in Israel. You could stop in NYC and visit a deli on your way there. However, I understand they are not as conservative in Israel as they are in NYC.
I agree. Israel needs many more conservative Jews to make Aliyah to make it so. And I'm sure there are a great many NYC style delis in Israel for you to enjoy. It's a little far from your grandkids. But maybe it will encourage them to make Aliyah too. Best regards finding your forever home that is a good fit for you two.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:01 PM

1,918 posts, read 2,960,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
We are looking for a smaller town with character of course near larger city with good medical facilities,
activities, etc.
We live in Boise for now, grandchildren are in Seattle. We want to be part of a conservative synagogue
(nothing here) and have some of my ex-New York Jewish roots and have access to a real NY style deli before I die!

So where does a politically conservative Jew looking for a smaller town live? I don't think it exists!
Somewhere on the outskirts of Jacksonville, Florida would be perfect for you. I have Jewish family members here who are some of the greatest people I know, and we have small towns just outside the city limits, with access to some of the greatest healthcare in the world.

SS

Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you're looking for something to rival Katz's, there's a place in the Bay Area that has the best pastrami in the western United States, maybe (say it softly) the world. Not really a deli, more of a foodie destination. I know the owners. They are dead serious about their food.

https://www.refugesc.com/

I don't know about the synagogue situation.
Iím going to try this when Iím up there. I used to go to Stanford mall for pastrami sandwich.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 PM

348 posts, read 59,529 times
I can't believe this guy wouldn't want to live as close as possible to his family in Seattle.
Do people actually believe a person would be happier in Florida or New York because there might be more conservative synagogues and more delis?

Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 PM

7,653 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I’m going to try this when I’m up there. I used to go to Stanford mall for pastrami sandwich.
Really? You went to Max's Opera Cafe? Sadly gone now, I'm sorry to say. Rent was just too high.

There's another Refuge location in Menlo Park that's closer to Stanford Shopping Center. Same great pastrami.

I wish I could convince Matt Levin to open one in Scottsdale. It would do very, very well here. Lots of New York and Chicago expats.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM

3,103 posts, read 1,720,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
I can't believe this guy wouldn't want to live as close as possible to his family in Seattle.
Do people actually believe a person would be happier in Florida or New York because there might be more conservative synagogues and more delis?
How does one define a politically conservative Jew? Pro-choice or anti-abortion? Gun control or no? Human rights for Palestinians or Israel is always right and if you disagree you are anti-semite?

All my Jewish friends are intellectuals, liberal, and the best. I have never met any other kind.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:33 PM

18,676 posts, read 23,241,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
We are looking for a smaller town with character of course near larger city with good medical facilities,
activities, etc.
We live in Boise for now, grandchildren are in Seattle. We want to be part of a conservative synagogue
(nothing here) and have some of my ex-New York Jewish roots and have access to a real NY style deli before I die!

So where does a politically conservative Jew looking for a smaller town live? I don't think it exists!

My husband's uncle is a politically conservative Jew, in his 80s. He's lived in Flagstaff AZ for 25 years, so I guess he likes it. He's originally from Brooklyn.

I am not at all sure that Flagstaff has NY style Deli, though. We do know he's a member of a Synagogue. His wife is a Southern Baptist.

Another thought is Albuquerque NM. What about the Dallas Ft. Worth area? Austin TX also comes to mind. I know it has a reputation of being "liberal" but it's still Texas. I am sure you will meet others who share your political viewpoints.

I'm not Jewish, or politically conservative, but having been born in NYC and raised in the NY metro area, and having a husband who is culturally Jewish, but not practicing, I understand the food you are craving.

If you are open to colder weather, you have so many great choices in the Midwest.

We live in a smaller city in OH. The bagels here are passable. But nothing like NY. There is no Kosher Deli. To get a decent knish we have to go to Cleveland which is roughly an hour away.

Cleveland on the other hand, is another story. About an hour away, excellent health care, Cleveland Clinic, and University Medical Center. I am sure there are all kinds of synagogues. Outside of Cleveland I'd recommend Solon, and Chagrin Falls.. The latter is a really picturesque smaller town. Both give you access to the suburb medical facilities in Cleveland.

This link might be of help -http://jgscleveland.org/databases/cong-list.asp in terms of synagogues. And this, for food -https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=jewish+deli&find_loc=Cleveland%2C +OH

Another place with a Jewish presence, that is very pretty, and smaller in size, is Bexley OH, which is just outside of Cleveland. Beautiful homes, for so much less than almost anywhere in the US. Large and diverse Jewish community including conservative, orthodox and reform. Very near Ohio Stat University, which has a renowned medical school.

Columbus in general is someplace I'd look at.

If you ar open to the Midwest, you will find lower taxes and a variety of political viewpoints. People here are just less strident about their beliefs. I am certain that you will find others who share your political views. You will love the lower taxes and low cost of living, without sacrificing top notch medical care.

Last edited by sheena12; 07-10-2019 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM

515 posts, read 118,041 times
No, not Austin Tx. it's gone progressive now copying everything California does.
They just passed a law allowing homeless to pitch tents on the streets like SF and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or